Bending dynafit 110 crampons to fit 112 waist?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a pair of crampons for my wailer 112s. I found the thread where it suggest that's you *might* be able to bend the dynafit crampons approx 1mm (on a side?), but looking for people who have done it. Have a line on a pair that measure 109 inside, but don't want to buy if what I'm trying to do will result in broken crampons.

Next option would be 120 crampons. Any problem with running them a touch big?

Seth

My dynafit crampons JUST fit my 108 stokes and they don't really look like they want to bend ... I would get a bigger crampon
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Bending isn't going to happen. This is some thick heat treated aluminum - it's going to fracture before bending. Unless of course, you add heat, but then they would be significantly weakened. If it's super close you might be able to file it down, but the dynafit crampons tend to run a little tight for the stated width. I'd go for the 120s, and hopefully you can find them because they were somewhat of vaporware in the states when they came out.

Thanks for the info. I'll start looking for a pair of 120s.

I have done this to b and d 110s for my chargers(112 underfoot). Put them on a big vise and then used pliers, no heat. No problem.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TGR Forums

Hey Seth, what style of dynafits do you have? Bnd makes one at 115 or as they say, their 110 is actually 113.

http://bndskigear.com/dynafitcrampons.html

I've used their crampons for years and they have held up well. And they actually come with a post unlike the dynafit crampons!

Yup, get some B&D crampons. It was a huge effort to get 110 dynafit crampons to fit my 110 waisted skis.

the B&D look like you might spread them a little but I wouldn't try to bend the dynafit?

anybody have experiance using both brands?

How well does the post work in actual use, don't you get enough penetration without the post as with the dynafit except up on heel riser (at which point should you be up on the risers?) altho I notice dynafit have holes if you want to add a post ???

any reason not to just go wide, I got 110's for my stokes and then I got some lotus 120's this year which need even wider so in hindsit and cuz skis just keep getting wider why not just go wide cuz the binding mount is the same?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You want crampons to fit the ski pretty close. If the crampon is too wide (eg using the 120 crampon on a 105 ski) then you put way too much torque on the oval bar that slots through the binding and will break it. I've done it... Not fixable.

And the risers on the crampon itself are really helpful to press the crampon into the snow when you have a heel lift on. They also keep you from putting too much pressure/ leverage on that oval bar when the boot is flat on the ski.

I've used both types of crampons- both work fine. The B&D come with their own heel lifter (use the tall one); I had to screw a piece of plywood (probably 1/2"x 1/2" x 1.5") to the Dynafit crampon with small wood screws, so a bit more hassle. I do like giving my business to Bill at B&D- great customer service.

Hey Kevin, glad to hear you're back in the valley! I sent an email to BnD about their crampons and they made the same suggestions. Don't order too big (I also have L120s and was hoping for one crampon for both pairs of skis), as you'll likely break the crampon.

I'm currently on verticals, so I think the 110mm crampons is the biggest they had in that style without me cutting the rib on my bindings.

Seth

I was in the same situation. Grinded down the inside "ribs" (a little at a time to prevent overheating of the aluminum). It worked fine.

Got a pair of B&D that I had me make for my now sold 112RP's...end shameless gear swap plug.

big fan of B&D crampons- even bigger fan of the crampon locks so they stay fixed to the ski when using a tall heel lifter (which is when a need crampons in the first place)

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    big fan of B&D crampons- even bigger fan of the crampon locks so they stay fixed to the ski when using a tall heel lifter (which is when a need crampons in the first place)
    Reviving this old thread after searching for a bit and coming up empty.

What material do you guys use to shim crampons? Any old piece of wood sitting around the shop? Plastic cutting board?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise