Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Pretty cool. Did you notice this house?

Got front elevations on your mind Ice? Problems could always be worse, eh.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Yeah that right there is a real problem.

That EM drive is just fucking awesome.

"One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

^^^Oh, I want one. Awesome when he played the music into it.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    There must a be a limit to the amount of data that can be transferred between two points in a given time. I wonder what that is and how far this test is from that amount.
    There is indeed a theoretical limit determined by the Shannon-Hartley theorem.

C = B log2(1+S/N)

C is the channel capacity in bits per second;
    B is the bandwidth of the channel in hertz (passband bandwidth in case of a modulated signal);
    S is the average received signal power over the bandwidth (in case of a modulated signal, often denoted C, i.e. modulated carrier), measured in watts (or volts squared);
    N is the average noise or interference power over the bandwidth, measured in watts (or volts squared); and
    S/N is the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) or the carrier-to-noise ratio (CNR) of the communication signal to the Gaussian noise interference expressed as a linear power ratio (not as logarithmic decibels).

So theoretically really comes down to how much bandwidth (simple explanation freq bands) and how much power they are putting into the signal. Introducing amplified noise doesn't help so the electronics have to be designed for low noise up front.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Pretty cool. Did you notice this house?

Heh, no, I didn't see that. Looks like a gorgeous house with an unbelievable view! But... I see it ending up like the ship in it's back yard not too far off from now.
    I still call it The Jake.

This thread is like diving down the rabbit hole. My stomach had to remind me that time was not relativistically slow in the science thread.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Great read for those into geology:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/...sierra-nevada/
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

...giving spiders water that is infused with carbon nanotubes makes them weave silk stronger than any known fiber.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...d-with-carbon/
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Think of the possibilities for Shit Knives!!!!!

From the comment...

This really is super cool, just one little concern. It has to do with the study quote "This leads to mechanical hardening of teeth, jaws, mandibles, ovipositors and to an enhancement of silk toughness." Now this would produce some seriously kick ass spiders and knowing our previous stellar history in containing dangerous things (especially when there is big money involved) this could get very interesting very fast.
    How long until one of these nano enhanced spiders bites Peter Parker?
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

.... just as long as it takes to irradiate the little fuckers. Speaking of little, I vote for splicing in some extinct mastodon DNA to really get this party goin'. If not available, I'd settle for some Honey Badger DNA.

Not sure that this falls under the purview of "science" or that it's necesscelery cool, but it seems the Chinks are trying to outdo the Japs when it comes (cums?) to self-pleasuring technologies.

http://www.iflscience.com/technology...inese-hospital
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    That EM drive is just fucking awesome.
    Wasnt there some guesstimation that the X-37B was carrying a EM drive in its payload for the next mission?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Not sure that this falls under the purview of "science" or that it's necesscelery cool, but it seems the Chinks are trying to outdo the Japs when it comes (cums?) to self-pleasuring technologies.

http://www.iflscience.com/technology...inese-hospital
    Not sure how I'll react when these start showing up in the gym, next to the elliptical trainers .......

Daniel Ortega eats here.

The video description on youtube gives a bit of an explanation. And with the shitty TGR video tags, you have to go there to view full screen anyway.

^

SDO is the shit, pre SDO and SOHO we knew a laughable amount about the sun which is only by far the most important body in our solar system.

817mil and we've learned so much about the sun's magnetic field and it's interactions with other fields including earth.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Neil deGrasse Tyson was good on Charlie Rose last night. Not posted yet but look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Neil deGrasse Tyson was good on Charlie Rose last night. Not posted yet but look for it.
    +1
    I should have DVR'd it. I started falling asleep around midnight and missed a couple parts.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post
    ^

SDO is the shit, pre SDO and SOHO we knew a laughable amount about the sun which is only by far the most important body in our solar system.

817mil and we've learned so much about the sun's magnetic field and it's interactions with other fields including earth.
    As insanely cool as that video is to watch, the amount that has been learned from these projects is even cooler (for something that is so hot ).

^^
    Cool as fuck, but that's no ordinary skate park. There are permanent electromagnets in the ground.

Yup. Article mentions that but didn't showcase the making of it.

Really cool!