Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    it's still kinda cool even tho it's explained
    nature: it's alive, man!

too commercial?

google delivery drone

NASA Mars Orbiter Arrives at Red Planet Tonight: Watch It Live 9/21... Should arrive around 9:50 pm EST

http://www.space.com/27222-nasa-mars...l-webcast.html

Can we finally stop all the pseudo-science Hippy GMO bullshit please?

Study of 100 Billion Animals Finds GMOs Safe

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Magnetic symmetry in superconducting materials.
    http://m.phys.org/news/2014-05-scien...onductors.html
    Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?

Dollar sign that bitch.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space...-movie-n210681

India's Mars orbiter mission cost less than the film Gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Can we finally stop all the pseudo-science Hippy GMO bullshit please?

Study of 100 Billion Animals Finds GMOs Safe
    How many of those animals lived to enjoy a long and healthy life? Just sayin.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Last edited by TomCrac; 10-28-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Interesting stuff about the origins of life.
    http://m.phys.org/news/2014-10-oxyge...y-billion.html

Anyone been following that we will landing on a comet in a few hours.....and can watch it live...

http://new.livestream.com/ESA/cometlanding

http://rosetta.jpl.nasa.gov/

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Op..._comet_landing

ummmm ....... did anyone check the parking brake?

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    ummmm ....... did anyone check the parking brake?
    Yeah, seems like those harpoons that were supposed to hold it down did not fire.

Very cool. This is equal to man landing on the moon in my opinion. Surprised so many people are clueless that this is even happening.

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/362/events/3544091
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Yeah, seems like those harpoons that were supposed to hold it down did not fire.

Very cool. This is equal to man landing on the moon in my opinion. Surprised so many people are clueless that this is even happening.

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/362/events/3544091
    Even bigger potentially from a scientific point of view.

Since the very first human, we've asked where the fuck do we come from ? How the fuck did we get here ? Even way back in 500bc humans had the idea that maybe our origins are alot more interstellar than we generally perceive and thus came up with the idea of Panspermia.

Fast forward to 08 and while studying the Murchison metorite they discovered organic compounds such as RNA nucleobase, Uracil not from earth.

In 09 they confirm glycine in a comet, in 11 complex organic molecules in cosmic dust, in 12 glycolaldehyde in distant stars, 14 PAH's seemingly all over the place.

What this points to particularly when combined with the idea that liquid water was also transported here via comets and asteroids is that perhaps we are not as connected to the earth as once thought. Seemingly the building blocks of life are everywhere and they are constantly in the universal sense of that word being moved all over the fucking place.

Now that's interesting, that's an idea that will fundamentally alter our concept of who we are.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

The tweets that thing is sending from a comet is blowing my mind. Also did anyone hear the noise that comet makes?

People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Insane pictures are starting to come in.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

What is really insane is that we are seeing something form the beginning of the universe 6,000 years ago. Just amazing.

hi res image here...http://www.esa.int/var/esa/storage/i...to_a_comet.jpg

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Philae is facing trouble...
    Where it intended to land...where it is...

Here's How Scientists Can Save Philae From Its Rough Comet Landing
    The lander's triumphant landing on a comet wasn't as smooth as it first appeared. Philae landed in a bad location where it's hard to get precious sunlight, and the engineers behind the mission are trying to figure out what to do.

Here's How It Happened

When the Philae lander touched down on the comet yesterday afternoon, following a 7-hour flight from the Rosetta spacecraft, it faced two troubling issues. First, the lander's top-thruster was not functioning. That thruster was meant to provide a downward push upon impact to dampen the bouncy recoil of Philae's landing. Second, Philae's twin harpoons, which were supposed to anchor the robot to the low-gravity comet, failed to fire.

The combination of events meant that the lander ricocheted off the comet immediately after touchdown and soared upwards of half a mile off the surface. Thankfully, the weak pull of the comet's gravity was enough to bring Philae back down…almost two hours later.

Following two gentler bounces, the lander settled away from the target landing zone and with only two of its three feet on the ground and totally unanchored (it could even be on its side). Worse, Philae now sits in the shade of a giant cliff. The darkness is threatening to shut down the solar-powered robot, which has only 60 hours of battery life.

While the situation may seem bleak, it could be much worse: Philae was not flung entirely off the comet, and right now the minds at ESA are working on the best possible fix. These are their two immediate options.

Option 1: Shut Down and Wait for More Sunlight....
    Option 2: Hop to a New Spot ASAP....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...?click=pm_news

Fuckit, I can't embed. I think this is what is accurately going on in that poor poor rover's cpu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S5YRL9Xqk4
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I don't know if my computer is different than a lot of others here that are having difficulty embedding. It took about 2 tries before I could do it easily...
    1. Copy the youtube video you want to embed.
    2. Click on the insert video button
    3. Click on embed existing
    4.Paste your video in the "Enter your video clip URL below" box
    5. Click on the Insert box
    6. Click on Post quick reply
    7. Science

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Philae is facing trouble...
    Where it intended to land...where it is...

Here's How Scientists Can Save Philae From Its Rough Comet Landing
    The lander's triumphant landing on a comet wasn't as smooth as it first appeared. Philae landed in a bad location where it's hard to get precious sunlight, and the engineers behind the mission are trying to figure out what to do.

Here's How It Happened

When the Philae lander touched down on the comet yesterday afternoon, following a 7-hour flight from the Rosetta spacecraft, it faced two troubling issues. First, the lander's top-thruster was not functioning. That thruster was meant to provide a downward push upon impact to dampen the bouncy recoil of Philae's landing. Second, Philae's twin harpoons, which were supposed to anchor the robot to the low-gravity comet, failed to fire.

The combination of events meant that the lander ricocheted off the comet immediately after touchdown and soared upwards of half a mile off the surface. Thankfully, the weak pull of the comet's gravity was enough to bring Philae back down…almost two hours later.

Following two gentler bounces, the lander settled away from the target landing zone and with only two of its three feet on the ground and totally unanchored (it could even be on its side). Worse, Philae now sits in the shade of a giant cliff. The darkness is threatening to shut down the solar-powered robot, which has only 60 hours of battery life.

While the situation may seem bleak, it could be much worse: Philae was not flung entirely off the comet, and right now the minds at ESA are working on the best possible fix. These are their two immediate options.

Option 1: Shut Down and Wait for More Sunlight....
    Option 2: Hop to a New Spot ASAP....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...?click=pm_news
    To add context escape velocity is around .5 m/sx2, if you know anything about delta v and spaceflight you realize what kind of margins they are operating with.

They have apparently discussed using the arm to give it a bump but it's entirely possible they would simply end up in a worse place, not like there is a book on what to do when your lander has issues on a comet.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    I don't know if my computer is different than a lot of others here that are having difficulty embedding. It took about 2 tries before I could do it easily...
    1. Copy the youtube video you want to embed.
    2. Click on the insert video button
    3. Click on embed existing
    4.Paste your video in the "Enter your video clip URL below" box
    5. Click on the Insert box
    6. Click on Post quick reply
    7. Science

The fuck? Copy the url, use [video] and[/video ] tags and done. yeesh. (take out the extra space in the second tag obviously)

Or copy the bit after v= and put it between [ YOUTUBE ][ / YOUTUBE ] tags

Where are you getting the [youtube] tags?... I'm more(on) of a simple copy/paster/clicker kind of guy.