Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    How well supported are the shoulder knobs? The intermediate could get a 1/2 height trim to create a bit more channel.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    How well supported are the shoulder knobs? The intermediate could get a 1/2 height trim to create a bit more channel.
    They're pretty far over. I'm not sure you'd regularly be leaning your bike over that far. I'd just get a different tire. They're not the worst thing in the world for a rear as is, but there are better tires out there to buy. Swing by a specialized shop and see if you can find one on a bike and you'll see what I mean. Running some of them fancy new super wide rims might make that option a little more realistic...........
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I am pretty happy with my current go to set-up of front and rear DHF's. Put a fresh DHF on the front and then move the worn one to the rear till it's near bald.

I do have an XC event in mid July that I need to looking into some super fast xc tires.

The Captain is a bit like someone tried to make a BBG then failed utterly.
    IMHO, side knobs too low and side ramped, intermediate knobs too many and too high, slanted braking edges on the stupid centerline Lego bricks. Some of this is probably mitigated by wider rims.
    Again, only imo, BBGs climb loose stuff way better than Captains. In fact, they do everything but moisture way better than Captains, but people are stupid so they don't make BBGs in a 29.
    One of these days, I'll guinea pig some Ardent Races on the rear. Might even snip of some knobs. Ya know. For the good of the collective.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

For the good of the collective.
    If you're really interested in that, just go buy some tires and ride them instead of talking about theoretical purchases so much.

Shirk: I think you'd be fine with those captains for some climbing racing. You don't win xc races in corners.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Shirk: I think you'd be fine with those captains for some climbing racing. You don't win xc races in corners.
    No thoughts on winning...it's the Gear Jammer in Squamish, 45km of fun but not overly tech trails. This would be Ardent Race front - Ikon rear kinda territory.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Ardent Race front
    Wear a fullface

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Wear a fullface

Gotta get one of these from Leov.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    this is not a review, rather a personal opinion:

logged some vert and some miles on the butcher/ground control on 29er over the weekend.

really enjoyed the butcher. cornered well, rolled well, easy to set up tubeless. no complaints.

ground control. easy to set up, rolled well. climbed well over granite and even on some deep DG sections, never spun out. a bit loose in the turns on the descent in the DG for my tastes. I am OK with a little looseness from rear tire. this was a bit more than I would have liked. braked well while descending in the DG.

probably will beat up the ground control and then get the slaughter when it comes out.
    The GC can be a bit unnerving for sure. I have found it to be pretty predictable though and it doesn't just let go. It took me a few good rides to trust it/figure it out. I like it for the reasons you mentioned though, the rolling and climbing well mostly. Brakes good too. I live with the looseness until things get to wet or slick and then put a Purg on.

Not sure how everyone missed the Duro Switch.

Tread *almost* as good as a DHR2. Not fast-rolling, but excellent grip and I've had slower tires (*cough* Nevegal, Rampage)
    True 2.35" (same size as the Bontrager 29-4)
    Solid rear tire but I like it as a front too, as long as you're willing to lean (same caveat for anything without intermediates)
    Folding version is 730g on my scale...
    ...$30 at retail, and Jenson has it for $15.

It's not even on the Duro website, so it may have come and gone.

Honestly, some of the lower end branded tires seem at least as good as the major name brand tires.
    Think about what that says about spendy tires.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Not sure how everyone missed the Duro Switch.

Tread *almost* as good as a DHR2. Not fast-rolling, but excellent grip and I've had slower tires (*cough* Nevegal, Rampage)
    True 2.35" (same size as the Bontrager 29-4)
    Solid rear tire but I like it as a front too, as long as you're willing to lean (same caveat for anything without intermediates)
    Folding version is 730g on my scale...
    ...$30 at retail, and Jenson has it for $15.

It's not even on the Duro website, so it may have come and gone.
    Some discussion here, post 185 onward:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ent-Race/page8

I bought one, but haven't used it yet. I'll use it as a rear tire -- it still looks to me like a slightly beefier Ardent, which I liked as a rear tire, and not so much as a front tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

That CST Patrol looks like an X King with real side knobs. Must be newish. Hard to find it on sale online in the 29er. Would be a good xc rear tire in 2.1 with a Duro Switch up front. Yes, I said front. Looks kinda like an HR.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Some discussion here, post 185 onward:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ent-Race/page8

I bought one, but haven't used it yet. I'll use it as a rear tire -- it still looks to me like a slightly beefier Ardent, which I liked as a rear tire, and not so much as a front tire.
    I am running it on the front (unlike anyone in the thread), and it's absolutely nothing like an Ardent IMO.

1. Side knobs are beefy and much more in play (they just barely kiss dirt at normal riding pressures going straight, which is what you want). Also they're much like the Minion DHF side knobs: look closely
    2. Much, much wider center knobs
    3. No gigantic valley between center and side knobs that makes you slide out in every transition on loose and/or hardpack unless you run 0 PSI, which is why Ardents are such a crap tire and are absolutely terrifying on the front
    4. Actual braking edges

Is the Switch perfect? No, those tiny half-height auxiliary knobs should be full height, and I wouldn't mind if the knobs were thicker front to back (so it rolled faster). But it's better than any other tire I've tried on the front of my 29er, and right now I feel no need to switch it out for anything else out there (though I might try a DHF, it's literally 4x the price, so I'm in no hurry). $15 for an honest 2.35" that weighs 730g is just a bonus.

I'm sure it'll be an excellent rear tire, though it won't roll quickly.

That CST Patrol looks like a tire that I'm going to dissect here on TGR. You all wait breathlessly for my genius uberhonch insights, I know. Because I tell you get the red ones over in Tech Talk. That makes me Core, dood. So core. So core apple middles envy me.
    You are the epitome of the 450 lbs loser in a basement, living through his internet persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    3. No gigantic valley between center and side knobs that makes you slide out in every transition on loose and/or hardpack unless you run 0 PSI, which is why Ardents are such a crap tire and are absolutely terrifying on the front
    You are doing an enviable job of imitating Stuckboy who imitates Woozie who imitates Will Ferrell.

If you actually get on your edges, your skis will want to turn. If your base is convex, it's going to want to ride on the high center and avoid the edges.

Creaky, why don't you shut your fuckicking pie hole.
    I'd rather hear about how an actual tire has been ridden by Spats and how it actually affects his riding than listen to you be a patronizing prick to everyone around.
    However many are in a shit ton.

How do you know I'm being patronizing? When woozie does it it's considered "funny." When stuckie does it, it's considered "clever." Looks like it's all about who's a Cool Kid in your world!

Quote for me the part that's allegedly patronizing. I'll tell you literally what I was thinking at the time. You can then check that against your Internet Psychiatric Dx Tool's results.

I'm checking in to point out that a 2.35 non UST BBG (non dh casing) on some EVE rims works really well right after knee surgery when you're riding like a pussy. Once you get a knee brace dialed and start riding like less of a pussy, it still blows the fuck up and sprays spooge on nature.

I think the tire was breaking down. It was working fine for about a month but then just straight up wouldn't hold air. I burped it about 6 times yesterday and had to keep pumping it up. I'd been running about 35 psi which in that size was pretty tight. So I guess non-ust kendas and latex solvents still don't mix. No bubbles or anything in the rubber, it just started leaking. I was curious. Maybe you were too. No squirrels were coated in the process.

But I'm also looking for another fast rolling rear to run tubeless. Fuck specialized for deciding 26" wheels aren't worth supporting anymore. Otherwise I'd buy probably half a dozen of those slaughters and not even think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Creaky, why don't you shut your fuckicking pie hole.
    I'd rather hear about how an actual tire has been ridden by Spats and how it actually affects his riding than listen to you be a patronizing prick to everyone around.
    I kind of enjoy the patronizing... sometimes he's right and he's always an asshole.

Specialized just a got a small batch of 29'er Slaughters in stock. I'll throw one on next week for a try if it stays dryish. I am currently very happy with Butcher in the back, for me It's as quick as the purgatory and is light years better at consistently holding in high speed corners. The slaughter looks fast but I am little worried about it in the steep tech which is another spot Im digging the Butcher.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Hey Spats, have you tried any of the versions of the Purgs up front? Just wondering about a comparison.
    No longer stuck.

Just buy one of every single tire available for 29 wheels, Stuckboy. You're never going to ride any of them anyway, but if you actually buy product** then you can spew online about how the tread pattern "looks" to your fat, skill-free ass. But in the meantime you should post more Rad Local attitude in the Best Gaper Quote thread. Y'know, since you know everything about every critter in western MT thanks to 2 years of MSO residence spent mostly inside your cubicle or your dingy apartment.

**terminal "s" left off to prove Core Inside Steeze Gnar Bro Spancered Radness

Even on ignore, he's still enduro as fuck
    No longer stuck.

padding doot doot de doo

Hey Spats, have you tried any of the versions of the Purgs up front? Just wondering about a comparison.
    Yep, and I don't like them as a front tire...the side knobs aren't quite right and the center tread pattern doesn't give me much side grip. I get "moments" running the Purg as a front.

OTOH, it's fun as a rear because it rolls well, has good braking and climbing traction, and *on the rear* it slides predictably. (I've been running Purgs on the rear for a couple years now.)

IMPORTANT NOTE: like kidwoo, I ride in Tahoe -- where there is not a single molecule of clay in the entire basin. The closest we get to "hardpack" is "sand that is wet or was recently wet". Conditions range from "packed-down sand" to "slightly loose sand" to "loose sand with big braking bumps" to "all the above and I can't see because of choking clouds of moondust"...usually with a bunch of sharp rocks mixed in.

In such conditions, Ardents are indeed crap. They're somewhat less crap on hardpack IF you run them low enough to just run on the casing in transitions -- but then you could just run a Rock Razor and go like 3x faster.

My favorite Tahoe tire is actually the Specialized Clutch. I believe there is no better tire for Tahoe summers...but there's no 29" version and I think it's been discontinued (of course).

Anyway, I need more time on the Duro Switch...but so far the only "moment" has been on a very slow-speed sandy switchback, where I'm not good enough with body English to keep the bike leaned over at that slow a speed. Even then it wasn't a faceplant, just a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    I kind of enjoy the patronizing... sometimes he's right and he's always an asshole.

Specialized just a got a small batch of 29'er Slaughters in stock. I'll throw one on next week for a try if it stays dryish. I am currently very happy with Butcher in the back, for me It's as quick as the purgatory and is light years better at consistently holding in high speed corners. The slaughter looks fast but I am little worried about it in the steep tech which is another spot Im digging the Butcher.
    Did you get a set? They're gone now. Have em on watch

Sent from my SM-G900T using TGR Forums