Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I really don't get the love for ardents. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough, felt like my brakes were dragging or towing a trailer.
    Glad that wasn't just me.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I suck and I am slow so i need all the help from my tires I can get, therefore my advice should be taken seriously.

Might not be a big fan favorite around here, but I really like the Kenda Honey Badger 2.2" as a rear tire- and potentially even a front tire. It's grippy and rolls fast, plus it's easily as wide as the 2.4" Ardent. I've had no problem setting it up tubeless on multiple wheelsets.

Plus, with the code "Save15", it's only $38 at Arts Cyclery.

Glad that wasn't just me regurgitating what kidwoo said about the Ardent. I don't know enough about riding bikes to tell a 700x23 Pasela from a 29x2.25 Ikon, but I can parrot woo with the best of them.
    fixed

life of pie!

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    I suck and I am slow so i need all the help from my tires I can get, therefore my advice should be taken seriously.
    wrong answer. your choices are:

(A) I can do a dolphin turn and you can't. Post your video if you think you can do one. What, no video? See. I'm the only one able to do a dolphin turn.

(B) My pivot slip demos are a thing of beauty.

(C) When I found my fragile eggshell ego crushed on TGR some 6-7 years ago, I began imitating uncle crud's posting style. I've never quite managed to nail down the comedy angle, but I've got the insufferable egocentrism to make up for that. Nobody slays 18deg slope thickets OB at Stowe like me.

(D) I am honored by Stuckie imitating me, and while I don't want to crush him too badly, I think he should know that by imitating me, he is imitating creaky fossil because of (C) above.

(E) Whatever I'm using right now is summarized in review with these sentiments (A) through (D) above. We'll stay away from details about the item itself and stick to my superiority, which is undeniable.

Please make your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Such as ...?
    I already mentioned one.

Purgatories are another. As well as those slaughters once you can get them.

Or even a rock razor from schwalbe (edit: shit, no 29er, nevermind). Or a happy medium from kenda.

Those very round profile tires like the ikons just sort of provide a small degree of 'general traction' in all directions. But what that really means is that there's nothing to really corner on in loose dirt, which is exactly what lph is going to be riding on all summer.

Keep in mind too that not all of the same tread design are the same tire. Specialized makes trimmed down versions of the butchers and the purgatories, maxxis makes two versions of the ardent. One guy saying he didn't like an ardent just means he didn't like either the deeper or shallower tread version.

Actually, anybody ever see one of these in person? (I haven't)

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-280-121-aspen

There's a check mark next to "Aggressive side knobs", so you know......it must be for realz yo!
    Last edited by kidwoo; 06-04-2014 at 07:59 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

2.3 Spec Ground Control is faster rolling then the Purg and gives up little when turning. There is a little dead spot between the intermediate and side knobs when leaned over but overall a very decent tire and another option for you.

I've got time on a 2.1 Crossmark, 2.25/2.4 Ardent, 2.3 Spec GC, Purg and Butcher. I would take any of the Spec tires over the Maxxis I've used.
    Last edited by TeCeBe; 06-04-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Really liking my magic mary 2.3 up front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    fixed

life of pie!

wrong answer. your choices are:

(A) I can do a dolphin turn and you can't. Post your video if you think you can do one. What, no video? See. I'm the only one able to do a dolphin turn.

(B) My pivot slip demos are a thing of beauty.

(C) When I found my fragile eggshell ego crushed on TGR some 6-7 years ago, I began imitating uncle crud's posting style. I've never quite managed to nail down the comedy angle, but I've got the insufferable egocentrism to make up for that. Nobody slays 18deg slope thickets OB at Stowe like me.

(D) I am honored by Stuckie imitating me, and while I don't want to crush him too badly, I think he should know that by imitating me, he is imitating creaky fossil because of (C) above.

(E) Whatever I'm using right now is summarized in review with these sentiments (A) through (D) above. We'll stay away from details about the item itself and stick to my superiority, which is undeniable.

Please make your choice.
    F, went MTBing and could care less.

Was gonna recommend the Maxxis Advantage - been loving the shit out of mine. You pay for the fast rolling and lightweight with thinner sidewalls, so I wouldn't bring it to Moab or similar, but everything else about it rules. Alas, no 29er...

This is definitely not a kidwoo approved suggestion but I'm loving the hans dump 2.35 (huge tire!) evo in the front and geax saguro in the back. After a full year and lots of miles I've almost killed the saguro and I really liked that as a rear tire but just to try something different I went with an ikon. I think they are going to be fairly similar though. I'm ok with a loose rear.

Quote Originally Posted by TeCeBe View Post
    2.3 Spec Ground Control is faster rolling then the Purg and gives up little when turning. There is a little dead spot between the intermediate and side knobs when leaned over but overall a very decent tire and another option for you.

I've got time on a 2.1 Crossmark, 2.25/2.4 Ardent, 2.3 Spec GC, Purg and Butcher. I would take any of the Spec tires over the Maxxis I've used.
    What are you running in front to complement the GC?

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I'm ok with a loose rear.
    That's what he said.

I just gave away some brand new man's cramps. You shoulda been here man! They were 26s though. You've probably moved on............
    Last edited by kidwoo; 06-05-2014 at 08:10 AM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    What are you running in front to complement the GC?
    2.3 Butcher

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    F, went MTBing and could care less.
    (G) Went back to EpicSki to gloat and brag about how a bunch of skiers in their 60s and 70s aren't as badass as Fat Josh Matta the Dolphin Turn Master.

bruh, sprockets. you're harshing my troll...
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    maxxis makes two versions of the ardent. One guy saying he didn't like an ardent just means he didn't like either the deeper or shallower tread version.
    probably closer to reality to say THREE versions, tread-wise.

- 2.25 Ardent
    - 2.4 Ardent, which is more than just an 0.15" wider version of the 2.25, it has bigger side knobs but not equal in size or stoutness to HR or HR2 or DHF or DHR2 side knobs.
    - Ardent Race

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    That's what he said.

I just gave away some brand new man's cramps. You shoulda been here man! They were 26s though. You've probably moved on............
    WTF! Pretty pissed you didn't think of me. I also run those on my small wheeled cycle. Get this: I actually have them on 3 bikes currently!

Quote Originally Posted by Telemahn View Post
    I have a set of Mt. King's in the 2.4 that just suck. Too flimsy in the sidewall to run tubeless, not enough traction for the rolling resistance.
    Second that. I bought a brand new "Tubeless Ready-Black Chili-Protection-yadah-yadah" Mountain King 29x2.2 last year and it lasted for about 40 miles before the sidewalls started to disintegrate and Stans began weeping though the sidewall rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Get this: I actually have them on 3 bikes currently!
    *vibes*

going with butcher in front, ground control in rear. both GRID casing.

thanks for all the help!
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

I know it's too late, but I can't stand to not have my voice heard on the interwebz. Hopefully future generations can live to use this important knowledge. And perhaps.......I'll be validated.

For some reason, the Panaracer CG XC has worked extremely well for me. I continually remark at how fast it rolls, how well it corners, how durable it is and even climbing/braking traction in the back despite a pretty well un-interrupted center tread. I recommend. For, like, cross country......and All Mountain......and Trail. Probably not for Enduro though.

I spent a little time on a Purgatory Control in Oregon in really wet conditions this spring. Was very surprised by how well they performed. But that might have been Enduro. So maybe not applicable to this thread.
    Can you really Enduro on a 29er?

Anyone know the expected retail availability on the Slaughter?
    No longer stuck.

Anyone know the expected retail availability on the Slaughter?
    My local shop told me August. Seems a little hard to believe Specialized would wait that long.

I rode dry and dusty in Pemberton today on my Ardents. I thought they killed it all winter on the Shore and couldn't understand where all the hate stemmed from, but I now get why the Californians aren't fans of these. They felt like skis with dulled, burred edges.
    Last edited by D(C); 06-08-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alewi11 View Post
    My local shop told me August. Seems a little hard to believe Specialized would wait that long.
    Sounds right. That's when 2015 stuff will hit the shops.
    No longer stuck.