Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    On the topic of Specialized tires, any idea why they're not making the 27.5 Butcher with GRID? The Purgatory and looks like the Slaughter both come with it but not the Butcher yet its their most aggro tire. Just slow to produce and get listed? I'm a fan of the Butcher/Purg combo but the Control casing is not beefy enough. Trying out a Purg GRID rear now, so far so good but I speculate the GRID is not quite where Maxxis EXO is at.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    On the topic of Specialized tires, any idea why they're not making the 27.5 Butcher with GRID? The Purgatory and looks like the Slaughter both come with it but not the Butcher yet its their most aggro tire. Just slow to produce and get listed? I'm a fan of the Butcher/Purg combo but the Control casing is not beefy enough. Trying out a Purg GRID rear now, so far so good but I speculate the GRID is not quite where Maxxis EXO is at.
    They are. It just showed up on the IBD site, so any Specialized shop ought to be able to order it.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

Actually, anybody ever see one of these in person? (I haven't)

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-280-121-aspen

There's a check mark next to "Aggressive side knobs", so you know......it must be for realz yo!
    Slightly better than Click image for larger version. 

Name:	872366d1393378165-tire-replacement-suggestions-schwalbe-thunder-burt_d0fb2b16ac.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	156075

Which I thought might be worth looking at until i saw them in person and noticed the center knobs were like grains of sand and the side knobs like half chewed gummy bears. Profile was rounded than a Happy Medium.

I've realized the camera tends to add a little girth to the situation.

Regarding those Asssspens, I literally think you can tear the side knobs off with your fingers.

"thunder burt?"

Good god. Do they make tires or x men?

Sooo......that exists? What does chewed gummi bear mean exactly? That actually doesn't look half bad.

edit: never mind......found some other pictures.

heehee
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Who's gonna guinea pig some Ardent Races?
    Every time I look at the Captain, it pissed me off. Riding it is marginal.
    It's like to make up for 29ers being harder to corner, they make 29er tires rounder and with lower side knobs. Or you can get super meaty tires that are super heavy. Ugh.
    Butcher/Slaughter combo seems awesome though, if not a little heavy for me.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Thinking about it. I've gotten the hang of the ikons and am pretty happy with them, but I do need a new front tire pretty soon and my shop should have a couple on the way. I asked for one awhile ago but QBP was out of them until like last week.

But pretty much everything around here is so hardpacked that you don't need much. What you probably should do is just ride your bike more on the tires you have.

Stuckie,
    Nobody but you thinks there's a holy grail of tires just out of reach.
    Different tires for different season or different regions. Some people gonna routinely swap them out for changing conditions while others are going to accept some compromise and stick with something that covers it all but ain't a candidate for perfect anywhere.
    Just buy a tire. Any fucking tire. Ride it for at least 10 long rides before you say anything more than "recently put a Cockgobbler EXO on the rear. Still figuring it out. Need more miles before I can give an honest review."
    I'd love to read about that.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Who's gonna guinea pig some Ardent Races?
    Every time I look at the Captain, it pissed me off. Riding it is marginal.
    It's like to make up for 29ers being harder to corner, they make 29er tires rounder and with lower side knobs. Or you can get super meaty tires that are super heavy. Ugh.
    Butcher/Slaughter combo seems awesome though, if not a little heavy for me.
    Indian, not arrow.

I know a handful of people running the Captain happily.

Indian, not arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Indian, not arrow.

I know a handful of people running the Captain happily.

Indian, not arrow.
    To be fair, there are lots of people happily running shitty tires. Just because an Indian is oblivious to the shittiness of his arrows doesn't mean he wouldn't benefit from an upgrade.

edit to add: I have no opinion regarding the Captain.

You seem to think I don't ride. I ride 2-4 days a week. I suck, so if this little Indian can find just the right arrow/Cockgobbler EXO (lol!) I will notice the difference after sitting on my bike for hours at a time. Especially after a couple three cockgobblers, err, weeks.
    No longer stuck.

Oh I'm sure you ride.
    Sticking with Creaky's analogy; I'm waiting to hear about how you've tried out some new arrows in your quest. Instead, we keep hearing about how you insist on shooting with the same arrows and blaming them for your poor shooting. Sometimes, we are exposed to enough different bows and arrows that we learn a few new shooting tricks, and a better understanding of how these weapons really work. In a tangible sense. Not an MTBR sense.
    It's a bike. Upgrade the parts, use them, report back with how they did or didn't work for you, repeat.

Good point. Thanks, towel!
    No longer stuck.

No, you're a towel!
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    To be fair, there are lots of people happily running shitty tires. Just because an Indian is oblivious to the shittiness of his arrows doesn't mean he wouldn't benefit from an upgrade.

edit to add: I have no opinion regarding the Captain.
    I might say your observation hits the target of "so then, in whose perspective is that tire shitty?"

When I said "happily" I was talking about people who know how to ride a bicycle pretty well. Of course, I know people who can haul ass & otherwise ride impressively on tires that aren't approved by The Cool Kids. Hence, the indian/arrow dichotomy.

But otherwise we're back to that tired old tune that has hiss, pops, clicks and skips on its 78rpm wax. Got to be strong/fit enough to pedal a meaty tire, got to be skilled/risk-loving enough to sneak by on a skimpy-tread tire, so where do you want to strike the balance? Our Man from Westchester County thinks he's gonna find a meaty tire that makes him feel like Ryan Trebon up the climbs. Sure he is. All he has to do is memorize what woozie's typed.

Maxxis Aspen: side knobs really aren't that signficant when compared to HRII or Minion DHF or Minion DHR2 or ADvantage. They stand a bit higher from the casing than the center tread knobs, but that's about it. For some riders they'll be enough, for others, likely a joke. I wouldn't run one up front unless on a XC racebike in a XC race with hero dirt.
    Last edited by creaky fossil; 06-12-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    No, you're a towel!
    I got it! That's the melody to Funky Town!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by scharny View Post
    Second that. I bought a brand new "Tubeless Ready-Black Chili-Protection-yadah-yadah" Mountain King 29x2.2 last year and it lasted for about 40 miles before the sidewalls started to disintegrate and Stans began weeping though the sidewall rubber.
    Great to know. I was about to pull the trigger on these knowing they were the made in germany tubless black chili etc. but knowing they will blow up on day one is a no go.

The 2015 Nobby Nick (http://www.bikemag.com/gear/preview-...obby-nic-tire/) looks pretty damn good.

Just mounted up some WTB Trail Bosses. Only one ride so far, but they seem to roll fast and hook up well on the semi-loose / hardpack I was riding on. Generally similar tread pattern to the nobby nick, but I'd bet a shiny nickel that the WTB's will last about 3 times longer.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Just mounted up some WTB Trail Bosses. Only one ride so far, but they seem to roll fast and hook up well on the semi-loose / hardpack I was riding on. Generally similar tread pattern to the nobby nick, but I'd bet a shiny nickel that the WTB's will last about 3 times longer.
    good to know.

After less than 5 rides, I had several tears on the Nobby Nic's between the center knobs. stans did an admirable job, but they didn't last long.

eager to put some miles on the buther/ground control combo this weekend.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

this is not a review, rather a personal opinion:

logged some vert and some miles on the butcher/ground control on 29er over the weekend.

really enjoyed the butcher. cornered well, rolled well, easy to set up tubeless. no complaints.

ground control. easy to set up, rolled well. climbed well over granite and even on some deep DG sections, never spun out. a bit loose in the turns on the descent in the DG for my tastes. I am OK with a little looseness from rear tire. this was a bit more than I would have liked. braked well while descending in the DG.

probably will beat up the ground control and then get the slaughter when it comes out.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    this is not a review, rather a personal opinion:

logged some vert and some miles on the butcher/ground control on 29er over the weekend.

really enjoyed the butcher. cornered well, rolled well, easy to set up tubeless. no complaints.

ground control. easy to set up, rolled well. climbed well over granite and even on some deep DG sections, never spun out. a bit loose in the turns on the descent in the DG for my tastes. I am OK with a little looseness from rear tire. this was a bit more than I would have liked. braked well while descending in the DG.

probably will beat up the ground control and then get the slaughter when it comes out.
    Channels man. Channels.

Ground control ain't got'em.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by wantriot View Post
    The 2015 Nobby Nick (http://www.bikemag.com/gear/preview-...obby-nic-tire/) looks pretty damn good.
    Have 2.25 Nobby Nic on back of a Curtlo 29er and a SIR9. Mounted up fine on Flow rims, and, once ridden a few times, they don't lose any pressure over time. Lightweight, grippy, and roll nice -n- fast. I've heard the tread pattern wears out a little quickly, but since I spread my riding time between 3 bikes, and 60% of my mileage is on the road bike, that's not as much of a concern for me as it might be for some.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    After less than 5 rides, I had several tears on the Nobby Nic's between the center knobs. stans did an admirable job, but they didn't last long.
    Which version Nobby Nic did you use? The tubeless-ready, or the non-tubeless-ready? There's a big difference in the thickness of the casing.
    Last edited by scharny; 06-16-2014 at 11:45 AM.

I know!!! I always fall into this mindset that I can get away without them in the rear and regret it. Plus I am still used to cornering on the BBG and this was drastically different. the purgatory and maxxis advantage are both better than the GC. too bad it looks like the advantage is being discontinued. I really liked that tire.

Anyone run The Captain form Big S?

I would think it as a rear would ride a bit more like the BBG vs the Ground Control. Pair a Butcher up front.

http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/ftb...ks-the-captain

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Anyone run The Captain form Big S?

I would think it as a rear would ride a bit more like the BBG vs the Ground Control. Pair a Butcher up front.

http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/ftb...ks-the-captain
    They have good climbing traction.....a little better than a BBG on loose stuff. They have that weird nevegal intermediate channel too far medially though. As in work pretty well at shallow angles, and then don't do shit really leaned over. They're definitely better than a ground control. But then again most things are.