General tire recs - older subi legacy 15-inch wheels

I have similar queries as those in this thread, https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...l-around-tires,

but my car runs 15" wheels. Looking to whittle down the tire options based on some recommendations.

My driving is split between highway and dirt/gravel/rock; mileage-wise about 70/30, respectively. moving to a home on a short dirt/gravel/mud(?) road. the car does not get a ton of use (i don't have a long daily commute). Sierra foothills location. I am capable and competent, but don't typically drive in a "spirited" manner. I run dedicated winter tires. i like traction, especially braking/cornering on dirt. i like good fuel economy. i don't like spending tons of money unless there is a clear tradeoff. i don't like replacing my tires every few years. last summer, i put A/T tires on my fwd minivan (yoko's geolanders) which was a game-changer for the non-winter dirt roads that we frequent, and the tires have not seemed like a poor tradeoff for use on pavement. i'm on the fence about doing something similar for the subi (if it's even possible for that wheel size).

tia and cheers

Yokohama makes a Geolander that SHOULD fit (one series larger than recommended), for a 16" wheel.

If you want to stick with 15", you're looking at crappy all-season, or snow tires. Worn out snow tires make pretty good dirt/gravel tires.

Rally style gravel tires are not fun on the freeway, but I know a guy that sells them if you want to go all out.

Need more info on your model. The 195/65R15 goodyear ultragrip winters i ran on my 98 brighton fit absolutely fine while also being slightly taller. There are larger tire options that may or may not relate to your model without modifications.

thanks for response. it's a 2000 subi legacy l. current tires: 205-60-15. i'm not opposed to the idea of new (larger) wheels, if it makes sense.

in previous years, i've run worn-out winter/snow tires during the dry season. i'm not too interested to do that with the current snows that are on the car, but finding some on sale (craigslist) is an option.

bump. Anybody?

my own research led me into the dark corners of ultimatesubaru.org -> wow!

it seems that basically, ma car would need a small lift and/or a bit of body/fender work to guarantee that some small AT tires will fit. that's way too complicated for me at the moment. I'm now looking at the hankook Optimo H727 or the general AltiMAX RT43. anybody with specific opinions/experiences with those tires?

and to add flavor to this thread, from the ultimatesubaru.org offroad forum: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...ze-combo-pics/
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 05-18-2014 at 01:24 AM.

I like the general altimax snows I have on my 07 outback. Thing can climb trees with them on not that its a particularly good idea. (
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Yokohama Geolander AT-S comes in 205/70 r15. That's the OEM size for my 1999 Outback.
    Last edited by AaronWright; 05-19-2014 at 11:56 AM.