Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mounted at recommended and they ski great.

I went with the second to rear-most mount point as I like a more traditional mounted ski. However, with my Maestrale RS boots, they don't ski all that much like a traditional boot, so split the difference and it's been great. Of note, I went short with mine in a 181cm.

As for detuning, I went heavy just past the first rocker point. Seemed critical to do so with the Mustache Rocker and that I don't want the ski to get all hooky while way out there on Dynafits.

Moment underworld beta...

Mounted on the line with dynafit verticals. Skied then on Rainier yesterday. Did not detune at all.

Above 7000 ft, Rainier was completely windfucked. Below 6500 there was some nice boot deep pow mixed with some sun/wind affected pow. Overall very variable.... I stayed away from steep slopes and wind deposited aspects due to our current conditions up here.

They skin great. I can easily see myself dragging these fine on 5000 ft days.

Skiing was a different story. On 2D snow they carve fine... nice medium easy going flex and turn radius, poppy out of turns into the next.

On 3D snow they were the most hooky ski I have been on. If I was on the front of my boots, the tip dug in and wouldn’t let go. If I stayed centered, the tail dug in. The tips do have a nice rocker that brings the nose up nicely. But That triple camber seems to rail the ski in 3D snow too much.

I expected some hookyness in variable / wind effect / sun effect snow. But hooky in boot top blower pow?

I’ll detune them and give them another go, but not real happy with the purchase today. I was originally leaning toward the Meridian tour or the Raven. I purchased the deathwish due to the screaming deal....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Mounted on the line with dynafit verticals. Skied then on Rainier yesterday. Did not detune at all.

Above 7000 ft, Rainier was completely windfucked. Below 6500 there was some nice boot deep pow mixed with some sun/wind affected pow. Overall very variable.... I stayed away from steep slopes and wind deposited aspects due to our current conditions up here.

Skiing was a different story. On 2D snow they carve fine... nice medium easy going flex and turn radius, poppy out of turns into the next.

On 3D snow they were the most hooky ski I have been on. If I was on the front of my boots, the tip dug in and wouldn’t let go. If I stayed centered, the tail dug in. The tips do have a nice rocker that brings the nose up nicely. But That triple camber seems to rail the ski in 3D snow too much.

I expected some hookyness in variable / wind effect / sun effect snow. But hooky in boot top blower pow?

I’ll detune them and give them another go, but not real happy with the purchase today. I was originally leaning toward the Meridian tour or the Raven. I purchased the deathwish due to the screaming deal....

Thanks for the info. I hope your second experience is a better one.

These have been my backcountry daily for a few seasons now. They definitely ski softer than the Deathwish (also own), but not in a way that I see as a negative. Excellent float for their size and still have that locked-in feeling when you need it in firm conditions. Extremely confidence inspiring ski and I'll be getting another pair when these ones are done! I've never felt they were hooky, but I also detuned a few cm deeper than the contact points before ever getting them on snow. Mounted on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Thanks for this information! I’ve been really tempted and curious about the DW tour, but have steered toward full rocker for the advantage they have in my experience in 3D snow. I think I’ll keep looking for Meridian Tours.

FWIW I do not at all find any "hookiness" in the Underworld. I ski the regular Deathwish (new pair this year which are my 3rd) inbounds and the Underworld touring. The only difference I see is that the lighter weight of the Underworld results in it not skiing as well in chop / heavy snow. I do not find that I have to ski it any different than the Deathwish as far as stance is concerned. The hookiness kinds of sounds like a bad tune.