Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moment underworld beta...

Anyone been on the underworlds yet and have any info on their performance?
    Go Sox!

Skied it. Not powerful at all on hard snow. Weird camber profile skied especially strange with tech bindings. Wants to hook up in the tail, but no real control over the tail of the ski. Could be a fun, easy going, bc only ski for the right person, but I thought it was very meh and slightly annoying to ski inbounds.

You mean the Exit World? The google has a bevy of results for that puppy: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...ent-exit-world

No - next year model. Underworld. A 106 underfoot deathwish with the same core materials as the exit world. Seemed interesting and was wondering how stable it was on variable conditions.
    Go Sox!

Quote Originally Posted by cooks View Post
    Skied it. Not powerful at all on hard snow. Weird camber profile skied especially strange with tech bindings. Wants to hook up in the tail, but no real control over the tail of the ski. Could be a fun, easy going, bc only ski for the right person, but I thought it was very meh and slightly annoying to ski inbounds.
    Huh?

Anyone else? I'd still like to hear more about this ski.

I misunderstood. This description intrigues me though.
    sproing!

I skied it a day at Loveland with a good mix of most snow conditions. I liked the Underworld a lot. I remember the ski having a good amount of pop but still stable through chop and crud. Wish I could offer more and an unbiased opinion, but that's not the case. FWIW - I like the UW much, much better than the Exit World. To me, the EW feels too damp. Everyone raves about the EW but I can't get myself to like it.

Powder7 review:
    http://skiblog.powder7.com/2015-mome...n-snow-review/

Last week we posted highlights of the 2015 Moment lineup (2015 Moment Preview). Today, I will share my thoughts and opinions of the new 2015 Moment Underworld. I tested the 187cm size which measures out to 132-106-123 with a 27mm sidecut. This ski features a “Dirty Mustache” rocker, Paulownia/Pine core and a Lowfat layup for weight savings.

Although the 2015 Moment Underworld is essentially a narrower version of their Deathwish, also considered a touring ski, this does not ride like a touring ski in the slightest. Even though the 187cm only weighs in at a staggering 2000 grams, it holds an edge like a metal clad race ski. I guess this is due to the Dirty Mustache Rocker. What that translates to is a rocker tip and tail, a low center camber and two sections of micro camber just in front and behind the bindings. The Moment employee explained to me that this makes the edges like serrated knives that gouge into the snow and hold with shark tooth-like grip. He was right on the money with that analogy. The second the ski goes on edge, you can feel the advanced rocker working. I felt glued to the snow, even in transition. While many skiers will initially sense this as catchy, I assure you, it just depends on how you want the ski to turn. You can make the choice.

Other manufactures in the touring ski category do many specific things well, but fail to put together an entire package. Whenever I hear of companies trying to make their skis lighter, it usually means they sacrifice stiffness. In this case, Moment has found an excellent balance between weight and handling. I found the Underworld to be an excellent tree ski, but it was still able to handle the chunder of ungroomed terrain.

I skied for a few runs on the Underworld this winter and am a Deathwish fanboy to the max. UW held just as solid an edge and felt as stable, but lacked the smeary/surfy feel you could transition to on the Deathwish. Skied a little bit of heavish pow on it and felt like I was stuck with whatever line the edge was set on, versus being able to release the ski more easily. Chalk it up to a narrower waist I suppose.

After that I think I'd be pretty happy lightening up my DWs with some tech bindings instead of transferring to the skinnier UW. Haven't skied the Exit Worlds but a good friend of mine skied the season on those and likened them to an older Bibby.... I think.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Any other thoughts on the Underworld? I love my190 Deathwish. I had tech bindings on the DW for a bit last year but ended up putting alpine bindings on them because it was just a little to much weight for me. Anyway, if they are anything like the DW I will probably like them for a touring setup.

Demo'd them at Kirkwood a few weeks ago which was semi-corn-ish. Skied very similarly to my pbj's; ie really easy to throw around. Obviously didn't see any pow that day. I preferred them over the Exitworld. These will be on my top list for BC ski next year.

My 187 Underworlds are the first legit "touring" setup that I've actually enjoyed skiing (FT12/Vulcan).

My Dynafit setups before this one were:
    192 Wailer 99 Pure = too chirpy - I just don't like the pure construction on funked-up refrozen EC hardpack/sastrugi/shitfuck
    187 Kabookie = Just meh with FT12s. It may have been the mount point, but the tails just washed out constantly. That said I really enjoy them as my tele setup.

I took the UWs down to Antarctica in November and that place threw everything it could at us. On that weird sandpapery thousand year old super firm windpack that is all over the place down there I felt like I could just set an edge and rail them around. TENACIOUS edge grip; and that's coming from a 6'1" 210 lb ex-racer who is used to stiff, often metal-filled planks. Additionally they've got that hard-to-describe but very typical Moment "poppy" feel to them as well. The only real knock on the ski was what seems to be a pretty common triple-camber complaint: tailhook. The rear "cleat" in the camber seems to like to lock into a groove and it takes a bit more force than you'd think to break it out - even when the rest of the ski goes willingly. It took me a day to figure it out but once I did not only did I not really notice it anymore, I kind of liked it (so much so that I now own a pair of Deathwishes as well). In corn they were perfectly slarveable and stable at speed. No really noticeable tailhook there, just buttery hero turns. We also had a couple days where we hit 6-8" of fresh and they just killed it, especially for only being 106 underfoot. The softness of the tips really helped them to plane up and the progressive flex gave me a point where I could kind of "plant" it and break the ski from a carve into a slarve pretty easily.

I had them up on George a couple weeks ago on a typical Tucks spring day and can also add that they transitioned fantastically from the refrozen styrofoam in the afternoon shade back to the thick corn in the sun without a hitch AND they killed it in the bumps on the Sherbie on the way back to the car.

As stated before, they do have a bit of a (short) learning curve. I generally ski pretty far forward, but I found that the more centered I could stay, the better they skied. The triple camber with a narrower waist (as opposed to the DW) helps the ski lock in to an arc, but when it does it feels like the turn initiates at the front "cleat" rather than the tip of the ski. Initiate too far forward and they break into a slarve. Basically where in you initiate the turn - i.e. which part of the edge - determines what kind of turn you get. Once you get the hang of it it's actually pretty cool. They definitely had a speed limit on firmer snow, but I find that all lighter touring-oriented skis do. If I wanted them to be hyper stable at speed I wouldn't have bought a touring ski. However, I was really pleased with the tortional rigidity of the ski when the edges were engaged, and how awesomely damp they were when I got them into conditions where the Wailers would've been skittering all over the place. These really are a solid go-anywhere-do-anything kind of ski.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Bump.

I ordered a pair of these on a whim. I loved my Exit Worlds so much last year on my Tetons hut trip I figured something lighter would be good for volcano exploring around the PNW. For 181s coming in under 7.5 lbs, it seems like a rad ski.

I chatted with Luke and he said that from last year, they stiffened it up slightly and added a harder base material. Same geometry.

Adding a bit of stiffness was the right way to go.

No complaints about the bases from me, but tougher bases are always good.
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

I likey the old Exit Worlds very much. I demoed the Underworlds for a replacement to my Freerides. They were extraordinarily unpleasant. This double, triple whatever camber: Fuck that noise. Just build an ordinary ski with camber and I would buy it.

Totally agree. I'd look harder at moments if they dropped that wierd camber shit.

Quote Originally Posted by telelebowski View Post
    I likey the old Exit Worlds very much. I demoed the Underworlds for a replacement to my Freerides. They were extraordinarily unpleasant. This double, triple whatever camber: Fuck that noise. Just build an ordinary ski with camber and I would buy it.
    I asked in your Exit World thread, but this is a much more appropriate location.

Why no love for the Underworlds?

Seems like people either love it or hate it. It took me some time to figure it out. Now that I have, I can't get enough. So much so that I'm stocked up - Deathwish, Underworld, Belafontes (2016), and the cleated Ghost Train.

dumbfuck.

I finally had a chance to get out on the UWs yesterday. It should be noted that the snow conditions were hot garbage; winfuck refrozan rain crust. There were tiny, tiny pockets of corn-like snow. So in reality, the trip was more taking the skis for a walk.

So far so good. Like, easy to skin with as to be expected. I do like the shorter length of 181cm. What few turns I did get were good; nice edge hold and I began to see what all this triple camber is about. For some snow that, in spots, was rock hard, I was able to hold and edge and carve. In full disclosure, that could be that the edges were factory sharp.

The tips could certainly use a de-tune. I found them hooking up where I didn't want it, but again, it could be the shit snow and not the skis. I did find that they do tend to favor a centered stance. The tails certainly dig in and really help finish a turn, more like a traditional ski.

it had been mentioned earlier in this thread and in other Moment threads; the fit and finish of these skis are some of the best I've experienced and the best Moment has, to date. Really well done.

Some entirely mediocre stoke:

For the TL;DR crowd - shit conditions, not enough to get a bead on them. Need more snow. #sweetblogbro

Nice stuff. Loved the previous EW. Mainly because it was a bibby. But going in this direction makes sense since the old EW was just too close to the Bibby

Have had a half dozen outings on mine and really enjoying them. Feel almost exactly like my Deathwishes just snappier turning. Surprisingly little change in the amount of float between the two in pow. I went with the 181 as well. And huge improvement aesthetically in the construction as has been mentioned.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Was about to start complaining about these skis, but then threw some spoilers in my touring boots and got some more forward lean going, and now they are kicking ass! Really snappy, slalom ski feeling in the pow if you want and hold a beautiful edge on the groomers. Been having a blast on the dawn patrols at Snow King this week!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Was about to start complaining about these skis, but then threw some spoilers in my touring boots and got some more forward lean going, and now they are kicking ass! Really snappy, slalom ski feeling in the pow if you want and hold a beautiful edge on the groomers. Been having a blast on the dawn patrols at Snow King this week!
    Hey Dunfee - I would appreciate a more in-depth comparison of the Underworld vs the Deathwish. I enjoyed tooling around the Wasatch on yer ole BroBomb tagged sticks this past Winter but I feel I've sapped the last of the snap out of them. I like 'em enough to buy a new pair but I also like the idea of a more slender alternative for the middle of my quiver (118 Bibby's above, 102 TST's below). So take a Moment, reflect on seasons past, and share me some pros and cons!

Quote Originally Posted by Coño Frío View Post
    Hey Dunfee - I would appreciate a more in-depth comparison of the Underworld vs the Deathwish. I enjoyed tooling around the Wasatch on yer ole BroBomb tagged sticks this past Winter but I feel I've sapped the last of the snap out of them. I like 'em enough to buy a new pair but I also like the idea of a more slender alternative for the middle of my quiver (118 Bibby's above, 102 TST's below). So take a Moment, reflect on seasons past, and share me some pros and cons!
    Glad got some use out of em! My basic feel is that the profile both those skis share works better with the Deathwishs waist width and weight. The moustache rocker was there when I wanted it on the DW but you could turn off the slalom ski edge hold and slarve a turn easily depending on where you weighted the ski. I had a much harder time doing the same on the narrower lighter UW at the same length and in touring boots. I didn't find that balance of edgy and damp in the DW as I did with the UW.

If I did them again I'd get the 187 or if I was a rich dentist id pay luke to build a low fat layup DW and never need another ski ever again. Except for the Meridian.

Just bought a pair of these heavily discounted. Any input on mount point or detuning?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I mounted them at recommended and never looked back