Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for "MUST RIDE!" spots between CO and VT

Heading on a family road trip this summer. Wife and daughter flying back to VT from Denver, and my 10yo son and I will have 1-2 weeks to MTB our way back (not literally--bikes and rooftop tent on the minivan!), hitting the best spots we can learn about on the way back.

If you have any recommendations along or not too far off of these routes (we may take the northern or the southern route, but likely the southern route since we are taking the northern one out to Wisconsin and then onto SD, WY, and ID before CO), I would really appreciate it.

I'm decent on two wheels, and my son is getting good. Can't have too long an uphill for him, and he prefers the woods to open hills, but is up for anything really. He's loving the new flowy-type trails, pump tracks and twisties as opposed to rock gardens and drops.

Thanks in advance--we'll take all recommendations as planning the trip back with him is pretty fun. He's stoked!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2014-05-08 at 12.31.12 PM.png 
Views:	232 
Size:	908.0 KB 
ID:	155140

Northern Michigan is the way you want to go.

The 'Southern' route (how far South are you talking?) has mostly XC routes until you get into Eastern Ohio /West Virginia.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I remember reading about a spot in southern Indiana that is supposed to have some sweet trails.

Finstah Guest
    When are you going. As mentioned, Northern Michigan has probably the best riding in the Midwest, but I'm fairly certain Copper Harbor still has snow on the ground.

I'd check out the Brown Co trails in Indiana. That is supposed to be a good and ever improving trail network. I've also heard of decent riding in Ohio, and obviously there is tons of legit stuff in western PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Finstah View Post
    When are you going. As mentioned, Northern Michigan has probably the best riding in the Midwest, but I'm fairly certain Copper Harbor still has snow on the ground.

I'd check out the Brown Co trails in Indiana. That is supposed to be a good and ever improving trail network. I've also heard of decent riding in Ohio, and obviously there is tons of legit stuff in western PA.
    Yep, Brown County State Park is about an hour south of I70. 25+ miles of hilly, flowy singletrack. Decent camping area too. There's more trails outside of the park too on state and national forest property, as well as private land.

Checkout http://www.hmba.org/smf/ for more info and trail conditions.

There's also good trails w/i 15 minutes of I70 in Indy - Town Run and Ft. Harrison.

If you come through KC, we have some pretty good stuff here. Check out this forum: http://forums.earthriders.com/ Trail status and info is lower down.

Swope, Shawnee Mission Park and Landahl are probably the most developed. If you stop in Lawrence, the Rivertrails are non technical but fast and flowy. Clinton Lake is well developed and rockier/more technical.
    Kansas - First Of The Rectangle States

Sounds like all the suggestions have you going north, which I'd encourage too. If you do that, go north to the Black Hills in SD (a lot of trails there) hit Medora, ND for sure then head over to WI then to Northern MI then through Indiana. From there, I wouldn't know but that gets you at least a week.

Name:	best way.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	903.1 KB 
ID:	155181

Fixed that route for you....head through Canadian lands. There's more riding to do on that route than you'll ever accomplish in a week or two. Plus two of my favorite cities in the world...literally (Ottawa and Montreal).

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post

Name:	best way.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	903.1 KB 
ID:	155181

Fixed that route for you....head through Canadian lands. There's more riding to do on that route than you'll ever accomplish in a week or two. Plus two of my favorite cities in the world...literally (Ottawa and Montreal).
    Ha! Nice one. Gonna stick with the original plan because I'm driving something like that out there.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far--Keep em coming! Gonna sit down with my son and look at some maps next week.
    Heading out west mid June, coming back mid July, so not worried about snow. Northern Michigan is likely not on our route, but have been up there and loved it.

Plan heading west is for Niagra Falls--friends in WI, then Badlands (I lived on Pine Ridge reservation for a year 20 years ago), Black Hills/Rushmore, Devils Tower, Tetons, Yellowstone. Then Idaho and CO-boulder area, before heading home.

Indiana sounds cool, too. I lived there for a year of high school, those trails look awesome and camping on site, too. Win!
    Last edited by milestogo; 05-09-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Let us know when you get closer to the Tetons, there are some rides here you guys will like....

As mentioned there is some good riding in Western PA and NY along the I-90 route of your southern option. There was a thread or 2 on here discussing either a similar cross country trip or someone looking for New Eangland to the midwest. Here is one thread from last year that I found with search for W. PA and NY:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ght=Western+PA

Plenty of other options if you want to change a bit off your most direct routes via the major interstates.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Let us know when you get closer to the Tetons, there are some rides here you guys will like....
    Would love to, but wyoming is going to be pretty much a bust for me regarding MTB, unless there is a couple of short rides right near/in the parks. I'm going to be with the family AND my parents in one vehicle, and my folks who are almost 80 have never been there before so I am going to be playing the uninformed tour guide for those 4 days. Really just a stop over on our way to Sun Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    As mentioned there is some good riding in Western PA and NY along the I-90 route of your southern option. There was a thread or 2 on here discussing either a similar cross country trip or someone looking for New Eangland to the midwest. Here is one thread from last year that I found with search for W. PA and NY:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ght=Western+PA

Plenty of other options if you want to change a bit off your most direct routes via the major interstates.
    Thanks for the lead--I'm going to follow through on that, and I found a buddy at the local bike shop used to live in Ohio and helped develop some trails out there in a state park where we can camp as well.

Anyone with leads in Missouri or Kansas (other than above--they all look good, thanks) along the route?

Based on what I've read, here's a tentative list of the spots so far. Psyched becasue there is one spot in every state on the way home!

Name:	Screen shot 2014-05-12 at 10.59.44 AM.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	756.8 KB 
ID:	155351

Lawrence River Trails, KS
    Swope Park, MO
    Brown County State Park, IN
    Vulture's Knob, Wooster, OH
    Ellicottville, NY
    Last edited by milestogo; 05-12-2014 at 09:00 AM.

If you head through Quebec, bromont might be worth checking out. Should have lots of flow and your son won't have to climb at all.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Raystown Lake in PA is where they have Dirt fest every year. Maybe not too far out of the way and there would be easy trails for the youngin.

http://www.gpstrailsource.com/parks/...rippis-trails/
    watch out for snakes

If you want to break up the drive from Denver, I've heard great things about Switchgrass by Lake Wilson (between Hays and Salina). Columbia, MO (shudder) is supposed to have some decent trails. Check out this thread on that same forum: http://forums.earthriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19252

Switchgrass: https://www.imba.com/epics/switchgrass-trail

KC does have good trails, but possibly to technical for the boy.
    Not destination, but don't overlook Davenport (quad cities), Iowa City, Des Moines, Omaha as good potential stops for him. Not really worth making a special stop, but good for a 90 min session during the middle or end of each day as you cruise across the plains.

Forgot to mention, multiple trails at each of those locations. Hit me up for specifics if needed

second on Vulture's Knob, Wooster, OH

But, I would say, go south if you can.

WV (Snowshoe) area has some gnar and I've heard NC has some sick trails too.

kettle moraine in southern Wisconsin

pottawattimie (spelling) outside of Hell Michigan

Raystown Lake, Pa

Mohican State Park, Oh

honestly 2 of the better 25 mile + trail rides in the areas. both are 'easy" but both are stupid amounts of fun.

You could spend a month in western Pa Alone.

Also Pinebush in albany, Ny

Route Set!

Name:	Screen shot 2014-05-23 at 11.03.20 AM.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	686.9 KB 
ID:	155707

Thanks for all the suggestions--will definitely refer back to this thread for the next road trip. Raystown Lake especially looks great, but a little too far off our route. It will be summer in VT, too, so we gotta get home with enough time to spend some days at Millstone and Ascutney, too.

Good, you got Ascutney in there. That was my reason for posting.
    Another place to put on your future list is Robinson State Park in Agawam, MA. (western MA). Fun flowy trails, perfect for kids. Easy to get to if you're travelling 91 south to 90.

Looks like a fun trip! Gotta try Oklahoma Joe's or Arthur Bryants when you come through KC. Oh, and when you hit Swope, if you're coming in on 70, head south on 435, get off on Gregory and take a left on Oldham. I wouldn't deviate from that course too much. There are some not so savory areas around that park.

ok since I just recent stopped there driving from Philly to Stowe, vt.

Stewart State Forest, Newburgh, Ny

http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5220...peed-a-palooza

stupid amounts of flow, berms up and down hills, hort technical section, lots of fun with out any 'suffering"

Mohican SP is more "epic" ride than Vulture's but Vultures has some really unique and cool bridges. Mohican is a 25 mile loop where Vulture's is short. like 7 miles.

http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/9609...park-mtb-trail
    http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/706995/vultures-knob

If we can combine this thread with solid food suggestions, this will be a go-to thread for many of us