Shin Guard Recommendations?

I broke my tibia this year skiing and am looking into a shin guard for the mtb season. I'm not much of a downhiller, so I'm not looking for a full blown knee and shin guard combo. I plan to wear a compression sock for most of the season until I'm sure swelling is managed, and I'd like something fairly light and minimally cumbersome, but I'm willing to sacrifice if it means it will stay in place consistently. I'm struggling to find many decent reviews, any recommendations?

I use Lizard Skins with hard plastic inserts. They are quite adjustable and don't move. They are kind of heavy and hot.

A friend uses the POC flexible pads and loves them. They are soft to the touch, but firm up on impact. I'll probably pick some up when I feel like spending more money.

You could check out the g-form stuff. Haven't used it personally, but it seems like this might fit your bill.

http://g-form.com/products/pro-x-shin-pads/

yeah, that g-form stuff is rad.

The d30 material is similar in that it is pliable until under impact, then it stiffens up. a few other manufacturers are using that for similar products (616 and Raceface both do shin/knee pads with it, not sure about just shin).

I gots Gform, I calls it my "always pro" cuz you can always wear it. You will hardly know it there till you take a beater.
    watch out for snakes

With the Gform - does it cover the majority of your shin? My fracture site is about 2 inches above my ankle, stretching 3 inches from there up towards my knee. From some of the pictures it looks like the Gform is more mid-upper shin coverage and might not do me much good.

If you're going to wear a compression sock anyway, why not just go for a soccer shin guard? They work perfect for what you're looking for.

I just use soccer shin guards. They're cheap and durable and work just fine while pedaling. $20 at any sporting goods store (or even Target) should have you covered.

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    If you're going to wear a compression sock anyway, why not just go for a soccer shin guard? They work perfect for what you're looking for.
    Definitely considering that - figured I would see if there is anything else people swear by first. With the amount of hardware that is in my leg, I want to make sure I'm make sure I'm adequately covering myself.

^3 on soccer shin guard, hard to find anything that's more minimalist

Shin Guard Recommendations?

Gforms wont help with impact much (not in the same league as poc vpd-type stuff). Its more for enduro injuries - you know, road rash and stuff. The knees work for me.

Soccer shinguards - if you can find some that stay up, get those.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 05-06-2014 at 08:03 PM.

I love my old ass fox launch knee/ shin guards. I have taken some bone cruching blows and walked away. I ususally carry them up on my 6in bike and always ride with them when lift riding. Light-check, stay put-check, vented-check, covers full shin too. They are older version of these.
    http://shop.foxhead.com/store/produc...134%3Acat20152

it's amazing the array of soccer shin guards available at a store that acknowledges the existence of eurofootie. several types will have elastic to keep them located and you won't need x-long socks to keep them fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    I gots Gform, I calls it my "always pro" cuz you can always wear it. You will hardly know it there till you take a beater.
    I was looking at these pads and they appear amazingly comfortable but with the grippy-looking rubber exterior and smooth lycra-type inside I feel like the secodn they saw dirt you would just slide right out of them and rack your knee across the ground. Have you found that to not be the case?