Traverse City MI Beta

Heading to Traverse City in 2 weeks for work and can get an evening in on the water. From the looks of it, Northern Angler is the go to shop in town and best bets for close to town are the Manistee and Boardman. Any insight, what public access to hit/ avoid, where to get a beer etc, would be appreciated. Looking forward to it, have never visited the great state of MI before.

Boardman, Manistee, Betsie, Muskegon, and Pere Marquette are all within reach. LOTS of water in that area to check out. Admittedly I'm not real familiar with access sites on all those rivers except the PM, but the last time I was in The Northern Angler it seemed legit. Kelly Galloup had a great shop just north of TC for a long time before he moved west....damn I miss that place.

I'm not much of a fisherman, but all of my friends are. I'd be happy to ask them for details if you're interested in anything specific.

The Manistee is where to be, but a good hour from town. I can point you toward some of the public access, but the Northern Angler would probably be more help. The Pere Marquette is just as far away.

The Boardman is very close to town. The fishing isn't as legendary, but it is getting better. Most of the 7 dams have been removed. There are tons of public access options within 20 minutes.

I live right in town, so hit me up for beers or more info.

Thanks, will hit up the Northern Angler and more than likely keep it close to town to maximize time on the water.

Ended up fishing the Au Sable, co worker actually has a cabin about 1/2 mile down stream from the Orvis shop. No real hatch, weather had been rainy and cold and the river was high. Got skunked and so did everyone else I talked to...did see more fedora wearing retirees smoking cigars in the 3 hours on the river than I have in the past 10 years combined so I guess that was good.

TC seems like a cool town.

Nice. Sounds like the water has been high and cold for most of the season. Things should get really good sometime soon.

I work in the cigar shop in TC. I think for a lot of guys, standing in the water and having a puff is more important than actually fishing.