Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    First new mattress in 10 years this week. Foam Sweet Foam. Natural latex, build your own layers and zip it up in a cover. So far so good. Latex wins out by a thin margin based on our preferences. Smells like almond biscotti instead of a chemical spill. Way less of a "conforming" feel than I expected. I could honestly go for just a bit more of that on the top layer after sleeping on memory foam for years. But we have the option of swapping out layers during the first however many months.

Great customer service so far.

Set up took about an hour, all told.

Heavily considered air beds. Wouldn't go back to memory foam.

I went w avocado. The latex mattress is stiffer and take some time to adjust but once you do it’s all good.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Our coach is super comfy to sleep on.
    That's fine, assuming you've got consent from the coach...

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    First new mattress in 10 years this week. Foam Sweet Foam. Natural latex, build your own layers and zip it up in a cover. So far so good. Latex wins out by a thin margin based on our preferences. Smells like almond biscotti instead of a chemical spill. Way less of a "conforming" feel than I expected. I could honestly go for just a bit more of that on the top layer after sleeping on memory foam for years. But we have the option of swapping out layers during the first however many months.

Great customer service so far.

Set up took about an hour, all told.

Heavily considered air beds. Wouldn't go back to memory foam.
    They have a lot of options, what build did you pick? Why?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fsf.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	315635

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    I went w avocado. The latex mattress is stiffer and take some time to adjust but once you do it’s all good.
    Did you notice its way thinner than any other brand?

Purple has a weird powder they keep changing on their mattress cores.
    Satva and tuft are fine. I like the tuft feel better.
    Zinus is a good deal.

Random idea.
    I've found krill oil has helped my sleep lately. My joints just hurt less.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    They have a lot of options, what build did you pick? Why?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fsf.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	315635
    God, that would take me a long and boring time to write. Their site has a bunch of good q&a on choosing layers. And if you email them, they'll help you design it.

I went firmer than I was advised by them, and it's exactly what I expected. Their advice is on point. I think it would have been more comfortable than my selection, but I wanted it firm (that's what she said).

Holy shit that seems complicated ^^

Yes and no. Definitely no more complicated than dialing in a ski quiver. They give you a baseline game plan that's solid and you can tweak it from there. Biggest bed is 5 layers.

From top down, (D for Dunlop, T for talaylay, then M, medium, F firm, XF Xtra firm, etc) mine was

MT
    FT
    XFD
    XFD
    XXFD

Wife's was
    MT
    MD
    FD
    XFD
    XFD

I weigh 220 and sleep on stomach 80 percent of the time. She's 130 and a side/back sleeper. So far, it seems that we are pretty close to dialed. If I swap a layer, it will be the 2nd one for MD (medium Dunlop) like wife has.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    Did you notice its way thinner than any other brand?

Purple has a weird powder they keep changing on their mattress cores.
    Satva and tuft are fine. I like the tuft feel better.
    Zinus is a good deal.

Random idea.
    I've found krill oil has helped my sleep lately. My joints just hurt less.
    I have slept on concrete that was softer than the softest Zinus. It sucked. I was afraid the damn thing had shattered my hip bone.

Oddly enough a friend (who didn't know I just bought a bed) sent me this today just because he thought it was interesting.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/...-mattress-wars

Definitely worth a read. Or a skim.

bump
    anyone have experience with Sealy recently? last one I had lasted 14 years of pretty hard use/abuse and still had good life left in it whe we parted ways. I don't recall which postrepedic it was but I spung for the higher mid range that claimed to have the better coils. Firm and stayed firm year after year but would spring and stap back when it took a hard hit. This was when they did those bowling ball commercials. Kinda thinking one like their performance response line may be their equivalent range today and I am seeing one with the box spring foundation thing at the home depot for about $900

paging montanaskier to the white courtesy phone
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    bump
    anyone have experience with Sealy recently? last one I had lasted 14 years of pretty hard use/abuse and still had good life left in it whe we parted ways. I don't recall which postrepedic it was but I spung for the higher mid range that claimed to have the better coils. Firm and stayed firm year after year but would spring and stap back when it took a hard hit. This was when they did those bowling ball commercials. Kinda thinking one like their performance response line may be their equivalent range today and I am seeing one with the box spring foundation thing at the home depot for about $900
    Sealy didn’t do bowling ball commercials, that was Simmons Beautyrsst. However today almost all nicer beds have that same pocketed cool if it isn’t a foam bed. The beds all vendors give the really big box stores like sams and Costco and Home Depot are scaled down versions of regular line beds to hit a price. You could never pay me to buy a mattress at Home Depot, or sams, or Costco.....or online for that matter. Buy a bed from a LOCAL retailer and leverage the price at those box stores or online for the best deal but support the local biz....they need it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

ahah thanks maybe it was Simmons that I owned after all. don't have it for reference so IDK. S brand and bowling ball comercial so that is probably it. the bed chain store places seem kinda suspicious too. sounds worth it to call some independent shops and see what they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Sealy didn’t do bowling ball commercials, that was Simmons Beautyrsst. However today almost all nicer beds have that same pocketed cool if it isn’t a foam bed. The beds all vendors give the really big box stores like sams and Costco and Home Depot are scaled down versions of regular line beds to hit a price. You could never pay me to buy a mattress at Home Depot, or sams, or Costco.....or online for that matter. Buy a bed from a LOCAL retailer and leverage the price at those box stores or online for the best deal but support the local biz....they need it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

ahah thanks maybe it was Simmons that I owned after all. don't have it for reference so IDK. S brand and bowling ball comercial so that is probably it. the bed chain store places seem kinda suspicious too. sounds worth it to call some independent shops and see what they say.
    You're in OR? Englander are made in Portland (or at least they used to be). I have one on my guest bed and people rave about it.

Edit:

Yup. Still are:

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I had an Englander and hated it.

thanks. I found an independent local furniture dealer and he is suggesting this one he says is his top end https://www.englandersleep.net/cambridge or this one he says may be a little firmer https://www.englandersleep.net/nottingham
    apparently they make these to order but yeah they are local so only like 3 weeks. I have my new bedroom in 2 weeks. called a local independent simmons dealer and they are like 5 weeks out on those
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    You're in OR? Englander are made in Portland (or at least they used to be). I have one on my guest bed and people rave about it.

Edit:

Yup. Still are:

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I had an Englander and hated it.
    Because...?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Because...?
    A box of rocks would have been more comfortable.

That’s pretty technical, but alright.

well shit. were you involved in the selection of that mattress and how long did it take for you to decide the rocks were more comfortable?
    KQ's guests raving about it almost had me ordering one over the phone but I think I'll go poke and prod the floor model and see what I think

LOL!!

So hard to compare mattresses between stores and years of manufacture. The one in my guest room is 11 years old. It was the top of the line that they made at the time. I'd say it's along the lines of a "luxury firm." Not a pillow top. The lesser priced models did seem to be a bit lacking.

Every store gets their own "lines" from manufacturers with their own names. This one came from Wilcox Furniture in Milton-Freewater and was called "Princess." Maybe since you've contacted Englander directly they could give you an idea of which level it is at least. As I said, all my guests love it. Probably a dozen different people, singles and couples.

That said, I sleep on a Beautyrest Black from 2012 and LOVE it. Middle mattress out of a line of five. Not pillow-top.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I've got two Sealy Posturpedic mattresses in our rental condo. Can't remember the models but they are both kings, and they are probably middle of the road as far as line goes. They are the most comfortable mattresses I've ever owned. I like them better than the one I sleep on every night at my primary residence. It is some fancy environmentally friendly Avacado somethignorother that my wife got. It isn't bad, but the Sealy Posturepedics I actually look forward to sleeping on.

Mattresses are such a scam! That said, I freaking love my purple 4. Got scammed really good on that one cuz it was silly expensive and probably cost pennies to make but it sleeps really, really well.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

well shit. were you involved in the selection of that mattress and how long did it take for you to decide the rocks were more comfortable?
    KQ's guests raving about it almost had me ordering one over the phone but I think I'll go poke and prod the floor model and see what I think
    Always good to kick the tires. I decided on my Beautyrest Black after trying it out on more than one occassion. Think I went to the store at least 3x and was shameless about laying on it for a while. Brought my own pillow too. Be sure and roll over to the edge when you're laying on it to test the firmess of the edge.

Remember that the floor model will have seen some action so it will be slightly broken-in. I had a bit of a rude awaking when I got my brand new mattress as it was much more stiff than the one on the floor I tried out. It broke in nicely and 8 years later I still love it.