Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I went and laid down on a bunch of store mattresses.
    Sort of amazing how different they can be within a class.

I have to admit the Tempurpedic and Purple really felt the best.

Others there were Serta, Sealy, Beautyrest, Stearns/Foster, Nectar, Parklane, Kingsdown

Given that wildly different feels, I soured on the mail order idea, despite the various recommendations. Likely going to try Purple as they offer free return if you don’t like it. Others charge restocking/cleaning fees. So maybe put that off until later, if we get that far.
    Any thoughts on the Nectar? Their prices seem a little better than some of the others? Did you go for the Purple?

I need a new mattress

Nectar was not memorable.

We actually did get a purple, but it lasted one night.
    Mrs ::: ::: is 125# & I’m #200. She hated it & I loved it. She felt like she barely sunk into it. When we were in the stores, I think she was just more concerned about my back and figured she could deal with whatever I could deal with as long as it didn’t sleep hot. But that didn’t play out.

We looked at going split king so that we could just have what we needed individually. Seemingly we will never agree. But then you are in the zone of trying to level out mattresses, which is doable, but just another step to add. Also, split means buying two high priced mattresses instead of just one (despite the total size being the same).

We went back out & laid on a Saatva, Leesa, Casper & retried the Tempurpedic. The Tempurpedics are simply the best, but are also out of our league cost wise. We happened across Avocado in the mall & went in and tried that.

We have the Avocado now. Wife loves it; I’m not amazed but also not having any issues with it (my back was what provoked finally changing out our 11yo memory foam mattress). Year long trial period. 10yr + 25yr matls/mfg warranty (yrs 11-25 are pro-rated down ea yr). (Funnily, company has really only been around 10yrs at this point)

Avocado’s spot in the market is as a sustainable high end traditional build coiled spring + foam mattress. USA assembly of certified fair wage sustainable cotton & latex India-farmed materials. B-corp, the whole eco-marketing deal. We weren’t looking for that but they managed to provide the right combo of bounce, suspension/support. We also got a design trade discount, which made it easier.

I went out looking for a memory hybrid and ended up with a traditional mattress. So far so good…

I was recently looking at mattresses and it's actually funny how unhelpful the reviews are. Even for a mattress that overall is reviewed well you'll have a huge dichotomy in user reviews from people saying they absolutely loved it, to others saying they couldn't get through one night. Too hard, too soft, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I went and laid down on a bunch of store mattresses.
    Sort of amazing how different they can be within a class.

I have to admit the Tempurpedic and Purple really felt the best.

Others there were Serta, Sealy, Beautyrest, Stearns/Foster, Nectar, Parklane, Kingsdown

Given that wildly different feels, I soured on the mail order idea, despite the various recommendations. Likely going to try Purple as they offer free return if you don’t like it. Others charge restocking/cleaning fees. So maybe put that off until later, if we get that far.
    Any thoughts on the Nectar? Their prices seem a little better than some of the others? Did you go for the Purple?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I was recently looking at mattresses and it's actually funny how unhelpful the reviews are. Even for a mattress that overall is reviewed well you'll have a huge dichotomy in user reviews from people saying they absolutely loved it, to others saying they couldn't get through one night. Too hard, too soft, etc.
    Totally
    Really recommend getting on top of them, if at all possible

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    You can also assume a good chunk of them are fake...and that possibly another good chunk aren't even for the right mattress because people are dumb (Oh, "it is a Sealy posturepedic, I love it"...except there have been 100 versions of that mattress over the years).

Made even more complicated by the fact that the traditional mattress companies deliberately obfuscate the models so you can't compare across stores (they sell mattress A with cover X at one store and then swap to cover Y and call it something else at store #2)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, this place is better than most: https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/ but it is still a PITA, hard to make sense of, and is nothing compared to actually spending time on the mattress.

Personally, I have some sort of Casper "Hybrid" costco model. Tried a straight bed-in-a-box foam Leesa mattress and it was OK for a few years, but I prefer the presence of actual springs in the hybrids...but I still think it sleeps a bit too warm.

If you needed to own a mattress for a year for a temporary living situation and then it is getting donated/trashed what would you be looking for? I need something somewhat firm from a back perspective.

Who’s buying mattresses at Costco and other big box stores?
    Do you drop it flat in the store and climb on board while people eat free samples around you?
    I always assumed these were guest bedroom or kids room purchases

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Do you drop it flat in the store and climb on board while people eat free samples around you?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I've bought a couple from Costco. Yes, flop it down and climb on.

They'll help you load into a truck if you need a hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

They frown if you take your special friend to pound town in the middle of the store, so in store testing is not conclusive. Ol Mike might have something to say on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    They frown if you take your special friend to pound town in the middle of the store, so in store testing is not conclusive. Ol Mike might have something to say on the subject.
    "What? It's not like I took the mattress out of the plastic bag!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    If you needed to own a mattress for a year for a temporary living situation and then it is getting donated/trashed what would you be looking for? I need something somewhat firm from a back perspective.
    Craigslist/marketplace. Dirt cheap. Get a new cover for it if it seems to have come from an unclean house.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Another vote for CL or facebook. Companies like purple who drop ship mattresses and offer a 90 no questions asked warranty have people they contract with to pick up mattresses that customers want to return. The ones that are perfect get resold and the contractor delivers it and keeps the cash. The rest get taken to the dump. Prices are roughly a third of retail in my experience and the mattresses are spotless. Add a new mattress cover and you're golden.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Actually I ordered one from Costco for two reasons: 1. they deliver it and haul the old one away, and 2. I realize I sleep well on any mattress that isn't old and lumpy.

I guess it's a calculated risk, but I figure I can return it if it's terrible.