Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I had a Stearns Foster and had one of those inspectors come out - TWICE - with that string test. The second time, I convinced him to warranty the damn thing. I had such back problems from that mattress that it would take about an hour to get straight in the morning. The inspector said to me that of course my mattress sags in the middle, it was because I was single. Huh?

Now I have a tempur-pedic and absolutely love it. It's been a couple years, I got it when I pulled my psoas and really needed something supportive. I like this particular model because it's got bamboo or something and so it doesn't generate as much heat.

Well, then, OK.

Awkward question.

The dudes don't like the tempurpedic for the pushin'. What say the ladies?

Wait, so is a latex mattress a foam rubber?
    I didn't say I didn't like it for pushin', I said you need to throw an extra pillow under there if you wanna do it right.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Wait, so is a latex mattress a foam rubber?
    I didn't say I didn't like it for pushin', I said you need to throw an extra pillow under there if you wanna do it right.

Latex mattresses come in several categories and fiber content. Start here:

Latex Mattress Reviews, Ratings and Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Latex mattresses come in several categories and fiber content. Start here:

Latex Mattress Reviews, Ratings and Comparisons
    Nah - start and end here: http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-sex.html

Shouldn't this thread be combined with the "old fucks need to go to sleep" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I need a mattress for a guest room with access only by a tight winding staircase, been wondering how the fuck I was gonna get one up there, the way they "compress ship" those looks like it might be just the ticket. report back when you get it please. thanks for the heads up.
    The sleep number is totally modular, I have a loft sleeping area in my condo with a near vertical ladder to get up to it. The base comes in several parts and goes together easily, the two air mattresses are very compact. About as easy a it gets. Truly a bed in a box, actually its two boxes.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    Shouldn't this thread be combined with the "old fucks need to go to sleep" thread?

Har.

All this mattress talk had me evaluating mine this morning as I stole my last couple of minutes rest before getting up to feed. I have to say it IS quite comfortable and snuggley but that wasn't always the case. When I first got it the mattress was quite stiff and cold to sleep on until it broke in after about a month (salesman actually told me to walk on it to help break it in - I did not). Right now I'd say it is perfect. It does not seem to have any sagging, body trenching or edge breakdown going on (I do rotate it regularly).

I believe the mattress I got two years ago is what is referred to as a "plush firm" (not a pillow top). It is from the Beautyrest Black Line and was called "Camille" at the store I bought it from (Side note: in an effort to mess with everyone, mattress manufacturers give the same mattress different names for each retailer. WTF?). The store carried 5 different mattresses at different price points in this line each coming in a firm, plush and plush pillowtop version. The one I bought was the middle of the road. As I mentioned before I spent a week trying the one I ended up with against other brands including the Tempurpedic and I brought my own pillow too (I read somewhere that it was a good idea to test it with the pillow you sleep with).

Researching online it seems there are a lot of complaints across the board for all manufacturers. The mattress I have has more than a few consumer complaints as does the one I have in my guest room which all my guests rave about (Englander made in Portland OR $900). Seems like a bit of a crap shoot - you pay your money, you take your chances and hope for the best. If I get 7 years out of this mattress I'll be happy. The way I look at it 7 years of use would work out to .47 cents a night and that's not too shabby.

For those wanting yet another site to research mattresses try this: http://www.qmattresses.com/

I have a TempurPedic and if I could do it over, I'd get something else. They are over-priced for the product you receive. But, they are great at marketing.

Another site for research; http://www.themattressunderground.com/

I'd recco foam or latex vs. springs. One advantage (not sure if it applies to you) is that if you (a) are a restless sleeper and (b) have a significant other and (c) significant other wakes easily, then the motion isolation of foam and latex is worth its weight in gold.

Of course, if you'd like to sleep in the spare room (or drive significant other to spare room), please disregard.

We got a Keetsa mattress. My wife found them because she wanted a 'green' company. 6 years later, it's still a good bed. And reasonably priced. All memory foam and less than half the price of the tempurpedic bed. We have two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Man, I just did a first shop at the local Sleepy's. First, the Tempurpedic is is impressive. Unfortuantely, I jumped on a 5000 dollar model as a first test, and that was the hallmark for the rest of the session. Nice bed, but, no, no 5000 bucks. They were pricing the Cloud Supreme somewhere past $2500. I liked a Beautyrest "Luxury Firm super pillow top" something or other http://www.sleepys.com/simmons-beaut...6.html#start=7 at somewhere between 1299 and 1999, if you watched the cards move real fast, if you know what I mean. Crazy business. I remember reading that the NY state attorney general was going to go after this industry and the chaotic naming, but, that didn't seem to work out too well.

So it seems that $1500 ain't no 1% pricing, Iceman. More like Lexus land.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 05-04-2014 at 05:50 PM.

(Side note: in an effort to mess with everyone, mattress manufacturers give the same mattress different names for each retailer. WTF?).
    ever seen ads by mattress stores where they claim that if you find a lower advertised prices on one of their mattresses, they will match the price and give you back money (or something similar)? Ever wondered how they could be so confident that they could do that? Because they know that you won't be able to find a lower advertised price on THAT mattress (because the same mattress has a different name at every other store for miles).

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    if you watched the cards move real fast, if you know what I mean. Crazy business. It's remember reading that the NY state attorney general was going to go after this industry and the chaotic naming, but, that didn't seem to work out too well.
    montanaskier notwithstanding, mattress salesman tend to be about on par with used car salesman.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    montanaskier notwithstanding, mattress salesman tend to be about on par with used car salesman.
    I sorta gathered that. He wasn't very good though. He didn't close. It was awkward. He was like a very bad Al Pacino in Glengarry Glen Ross. What makes it more awkward is two guys dealing over mattresses.

I have two months to dabble, if the mortgage happens. No rush.

I think you should order that Caspersleep man. Hell I bought one since you started this thread, get moving.

I was just messing with you about the one-percenter stuff, hoping it made you squirm a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    We have a firm Ikea memory foam-style mattress. I think we paid about $400 a few years ago and it has held up well.

If you like a foam or latex mattress, the nicer Ikea ones still seem like a very nice deal. Their swankiest latex mattress is only $600.
    I may have the same mattress as you but have noticed after years of use, I have been having hip pain. I was told it may be because of the foam mattress. Supposedly the foam mattress does not support well.
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Which is the best kind of mattress for forcing your not very cuddly dog to cuddle?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

When I bought my new set the salesman talked to me about industry standards re: sagging. I only half listened but got the general understanding that it is acceptable (to the industry) for mattresses to sag up to an inch or more. This 2008 article speaks to that:

Hard to prove a mattress is defective

This happened with the mattress that my parents bought to convert my old bedroom into a slightly classier guest room. They set it up, a few people slept in it (probably not more than 20 nights total), and it developed sag in the center. They called the store, they came, and measured it (uncompressed I think) and said the sag was within expected limits.

I put a thin board or piece of folded up cardboard in the middle to compensate a bit for the sag and it's made it comfortable enough for visits, but I'd be annoyed if I'd purchased it as my only bed.

I had mattress replaced after a sag test. First we were told the "mattress wasn't properly set up" and didn't qualify for warranty, to which my wife said "your delivery guys set up the mattress!" Wasn't set up properly my ass. It's a fucking mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    It's a fucking mattress.
    Aren't they all?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Aren't they all?
    Apparently not the memory foams.

My tempurpedic is going on 7 years and is literally perfect. They are expensive but I'm hooked and won't go back assuming I ever have to replace it. My last mattress barely hit 4 years and felt like a mack truck ran over it.....

From a support perspective I LOVE it, I'm a big guy and sleep on my sides and before I got it my arms would numb up from time to time from the spring pressure. This literally has not happened once since I got the 'pedic.

[QUOTE=KQ;4243692]When I bought my new set the salesman talked to me about industry standards re: sagging. I only half listened but got the general understanding that it is acceptable (to the industry) for mattresses to sag up to an inch or more. This 2008 article speaks to that:

Hard to prove a mattress is defective

Good luck getting a box mattress back into the box to return. Buy your mattresses from Costco, just for the ease of return if you don't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    My tempurpedic is going on 7 years and is literally perfect. They are expensive but I'm hooked and won't go back assuming I ever have to replace it. My last mattress barely hit 4 years and felt like a mack truck ran over it.....

From a support perspective I LOVE it, I'm a big guy and sleep on my sides and before I got it my arms would numb up from time to time from the spring pressure. This literally has not happened once since I got the 'pedic.
    I've heard that despite not having the spring pressure point issues some ppl who sleep on Temurpedic beds get stiff because of lack of movement - the bed holds them in one position all night and makes rolling over difficult. Have you experienced this issue?

Both my parents have Tempurpedics in their guest rooms and I love sleeping on those mattresses. They kick the shit out of our fancy Sterns and Foster mattress that I toss and turn on all night. I have never noticed any difficulty rolling over on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I love my tempurpedic as I said earlier but their prices are pretty insane. You can spend $7500 on a Queen mattress! (which probably contains like $1.29 worth of foam). come on man.