Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    6 years later and our Serta Prefect Day is still one of the best investments we've made. Check them out at your local mattress showroom when you're out test driving some different options. Not cheap but totally worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Kind of random but I just ordered one of these. https://caspersleep.com/
    Been getting lots of press lately and $850 for a queen with a 40 return policy seemed like a good bet.

tempur-pedic for me, love that thing. despite the recreational disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Been getting lots of press lately and $850 for a queen with a 40 return policy seemed like a good bet.
    I need a mattress for a guest room with access only by a tight winding staircase, been wondering how the fuck I was gonna get one up there, the way they "compress ship" those looks like it might be just the ticket. report back when you get it please. thanks for the heads up.

Might need to check that out when our current mattress wears out.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I need a mattress for a guest room with access only by a tight winding staircase, been wondering how the fuck I was gonna get one up there, the way they "compress ship" those looks like it might be just the ticket. report back when you get it please. thanks for the heads up.
    I was disappointed when i ordered that demand was heavier than supply at the moment and I wouldn't be getting my bed for a few weeks. So much for impulse purchases for immediate gratification.

yeah fuckit I'm gonna order it. Price is good plus I can get it up the stairs plus 40-day trial = win.

Thanks for posting that mcsquared!

edit: yeah I see they're back-ordered, oh well it's not a crisis.

We love our Tempurpedic knockoff--Angelbed. Very easy on the back. A big side benefit--I go to sleep a lot later than my wife--with memory foam she doesn't feel it when I get into bed (insert crude joke here). She wishes we had one all along, when I was working and getting called in or coming home in the middle of the night. Costco sells a memory foam mattress that's much cheaper than tempurpedic and is rated high by CR.

MC Squared--while you can get the mattress up the stairs you still have to get some kind of platform up there too. You don't need a box spring (I'm not sure any kind of mattress does) but you need something flat and rigid to lay it on, unless you put it on the floor. Our mattress came with a frame that we assembled in the room and a bunch of slats held together by cloth tapes that could be unrolled in the room--a lot more slats than with a conventional bed--4 inch slats about 6 inches apart.

I like a soft mattress and have Tempurpedic and a Beautyrest pillow top with foam underliner. i like the pillowtop better. No particular reason...maybe middle back support.

Slept on a horsehair mattress a few years back. Very dense, relatively thin, and laid directly on the floor; great for the back. Not into harvesting horsehair so probably wouldn't get one, but comfortable if you like firm.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    yeah fuckit I'm gonna order it. Price is good plus I can get it up the stairs plus 40-day trial = win.

Thanks for posting that mcsquared!

edit: yeah I see they're back-ordered, oh well it's not a crisis.
    How are you going to get it back down the stairs if you don't like it?

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    How are you going to get it back down the stairs if you don't like it?

send it back in pieces?

it's actually a good question though. how the hell would I ever get it out of there?

^^^^ Funny. Hey Iceman, if you haven't ordered yet look at this: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dream...latex+mattress
    We bought a Queen size for the guest room in a 4 firmness and that bed is so comfortable, everyone loves it. We have had it a year now and no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I'd go the other way for a guest bedroom.

So this does look cool but what is with the testimonials? They seem a bit contrived esp. the pics. WTF is with the open-mouthed smiley guy?

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Try a sleep number, i luv mine.
    Soft or firm when i need it plus there is trampoline sex mode.

Not really but it sounds kewl.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using TGR Forums
    Yeah, that's the thing about TempurPedic. It makes it hard to sleep on anything else, but you also don't get that bounce.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Just saw that earlier this week. I think we are going to order one- Mrs. Kevo wants a King because she is in a constant battle for space with the dog.

Please report back about how you like it!

In October we replaced our 15 year old Simmonds because it had developed a couple of body trenches. Our brand new Serta ($1500 if I remember correctly) now has even deeper body trenches. Total waste of money, we will be warrantying it.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    In October we replaced our 15 year old Simmonds because it had developed a couple of body trenches. Our brand new Serta ($1500 if I remember correctly) now has even deeper body trenches. Total waste of money, we will be warrantying it.
    When I bought my new set the salesman talked to me about industry standards re: sagging. I only half listened but got the general understanding that it is acceptable (to the industry) for mattresses to sag up to an inch or more. This 2008 article speaks to that:

Hard to prove a mattress is defective

If there's one thing an emergency room doctor needs, it's a good night's sleep. At least that's what Mark Melrose thought when he bought a new mattress set last November.

But the New Jersey doctor didn't get what he expected. Instead, he complained, "for the first time in my life, I developed back pain."
    Melrose blames his back problem on the mattress set. "It was sagging," he explained.
    The mattress set cost $1,245. Sealy, which makes and markets bedding under the Sealy, Sealy Posturepedic, Stearns & Foster and Basset brands, made it.

The set Melrose selected came with a 10-year warranty that covers, among other problems, sagging and body indentations of 1.5 inches or more. So Melrose contacted the retailer, which agreed to inspect the mattress.

But that didn't go well.

"When the inspector came, he checked for a body indentation by stretching a string across the mattress and measuring the indentation with a tape measure," Melrose said. The hollow was an inch deep, too shallow for the inspector to label the mattress defective under the terms of the warranty.

It frustrated Melrose. "The indentation in the mattress isn't the problem," he explained. "The problem is the sagging that occurs when you put weight on the mattress. It sags so much when I lay down I fall into the middle of the bed every night."

Many consumers complain about sagging mattresses, but few are able to persuade the manufacturer the bedding is defective. Sealy, for instance, claims it follows an industry standard to measure sleep sets.

"Sealy does not measure with weight applied as mattresses are designed to conform to your body when you lay on them," the company explained, adding that it offers mattresses of varying comfort levels. "Some sleep sets will compress more than others as softer comfort levels are chosen. This is not a defect. It is a comfort choice."

Sealy representatives suggested Melrose "chose a comfort level that wasn't appropriate." However, it replaced the mattress as a gesture of goodwill.

Here are a couple of other articles that might be of interest (the 2nd link to "Sleep Like the Dead" has GREAT info for anyone looking for a new mattress):

How to Measure Mattress Sag

Mattress Warranties: What You Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I use my mattress for 8 hours a day every day. Even if you ski bell-to-bell 100 days a year you're never going to rack up the same hours. Fuck yeah a good mattress is worth every bit as much as a good pair of skis w/binders, and will last you longer... and works for 2 people.

$1500 is cheap by comparison.

This is the right train of thought, 8h/day = 1/3 of your life, don't skimp, get some quality comfort for your back, worth every penny.
    Try to find a place with a 90 day satisfaction guarantee so that if the mattress doesn't agree with you can try something else.

however $1500 is cheep comparison to the 0.0000001% option, hows $175,000 sound?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/on/luxur...ess-royal-bed/

Here's a comparison chart I know you all want to check out:

Mattress Types and Sex Suitability: Ratings and Comparisons

We got a tempur knockoff and it's been ok. I think when we move to our new place we're going to get the kimpton bed. Spendy, but every night in a kimpton hotel has been the best sleep I get.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    When I bought my new set the salesman talked to me about industry standards re: sagging. I only half listened but got the general understanding that it is acceptable (to the industry) for mattresses to sag up to an inch or more. This 2008 article speaks to that:

Here are a couple of other articles that might be of interest (the 2nd link to "Sleep Like the Dead" has GREAT info for anyone looking for a new mattress):

How to Measure Mattress Sag

Mattress Warranties: What You Should Know
    For us, it's not only the sag, but the giant hump in the middle. And it was this way almost from the start. Box springs are new, and flat across the top of them.

We have a firm Ikea memory foam-style mattress. I think we paid about $400 a few years ago and it has held up well.

If you like a foam or latex mattress, the nicer Ikea ones still seem like a very nice deal. Their swankiest latex mattress is only $600.