Thread: Brick BBQ

Brick BBQ

Anyone ever built one? My landlord is building a patio out front of the house, and I've got the ok to build a brick BBQ.

The plans I have looked at really vary. If I use good old fashioned red brick do I need to use fire brick on the inside, or will it withstand the hear on its own without cracking? Do I need to use special mortar to tolerate the heat?

The general idea is to build a BBQ with a 5' x 3' grate, with chimney above. Build in holes for a rotisserie, with adjustable grate heights. Smoker off to the side with an adjustable baffle to let more or less smoke in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I have nothing useful to contribute. However, I would love to see this thing happen. Please post pics of the progress!

FWIW, the autobody shop I use is run by some Argentine guys. They have a fantastic outdoor grill made of brick. Theirs has a large brick base with a ~4' X 2' rectangular area about waist high for the coals. Then they have a similarly sized grate on vertical tracks that allows them to raise and lower it to control the heat. The front is open but the sides and back are bricked in and it has a brick chimney up top. Total height is like 6'. It looked pretty damned sweet.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

A BBQ can be as simple as 10 bricks with a grate laid across but you are thinking bigger--so I think you need to think more of a fireplace?

I've built a couple outdoor fireplaces. Fire brick on the walls and heat resistant mortar (I used Heat Stop brand and can vouch for it)is the way to go. I have a friend who used scrap red brick and plain mortar on a small patio fireplace--he's lost a few bricks and the mortar needs to be redone in spots after 2 years. I think what does the regular mortar in is it gets wet and then if you start a fire it cracks...if you let it dry after the rain it fares better. The main thing either way is a good foundation to prevent movement--depending on your frost line.

Integrate a pizza oven.
    You do need special bricks and mortar if you want it to last.

http://www.woodfiredpizza.org/

http://ovencrafters.net/
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

What they said.
    watch out for snakes

I helped my brother build one at his campsite. It was made of alternating cinder blocks with earth packed down the holes. No mortar or anything holding it together. Has lasted several years. A few cracks over time, but the thing still holds together fine. Beside, changing out a single cinder block would be pretty easy as long as it wasn't all the way at the bottom. I don't have any experience with red brick.

PS... it gets used every weekend extensively from April to October and occasionally during the week. It gets a TON of use.
    Last edited by systemoverblow'd; 04-28-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Heat resistant mortar sounds like a good idea. I've been around home-made fire pits where the concrete exploded when it got hot (presumably from trapped moisture / pressure buildup). That sucked.

go down to the HD and get some migrant workers to build the shit for you while you smoke herb and drink brew
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Only one I've ever seen broke down after a couple years and the people had to put in a gas insert.

Your landlord is putting in a patio? Better ask him how much he's willing to throw down for the materials. Are you seriously going to sink a lot of cash into a fixed BBQ?

And yes, regular mortar will explode if heated enough. Fire bricks are nice and won't crack, but again if it's your dime... who cares?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Doesn't make cents to me either, I would buy a portable grill I could take with me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks everyone (except digital death).

I quickly ran the numbers, and it looks like as long as the metal didn't get too pricey that the whole things could be build for a couple hundred bucks. I'll probably be in this house for at least the next 3-4 years, as I save up a down payment. This will give me a test run to see what I would / wouldn't do next time if I choose to build one of these when I buy my own house.

Firebrick seems to be the way to go. In that case I will probably build much of the rest out of cinder block and use heat resistant mortar. I saw a couple plans that used cinder block with a layer of red paver every other lift that came out looking quite nice. If you were to do it each lift it could provide an adjustable location for the grate every 10" (8" cinder block + 2" paver)

First project that she (landlord) has planned is installing the new cabinets her brother gave. I guess he wanted all stainless, so the damn near brand new oak cabinets that were in the house had to go.

I'll keep this thread updated with pics once the project starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.