Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Masters Swimming

So I got back on the smoking wagon this winter after having quit for a year or so, trying to nip it in the butt with some good ol fashioned cardio till I throw up. AD IM COMING FOR YOU!

After swimming competitively for the majority of my life through college, I obviously let that one go for a while, but getting back into the pool at 29. If Phelps can rip the bong and still win 8 gold medals, I think I can labor out a couple strong 100's and not be worse for wear.

Just registered and apparently I'm the only guy in Wyoming. Life's tough at the top. I roll SCY cause I'm a pussy.

Goals:

100 Fly : 55.00
    200 IM: 2:05
    100 Free: 52:00
    200 Free: 1:55

Anyone in Jackson want to train this summer? Fuck anyone else here swim other than AD (which inbetween practices I've smoke a lot of pot in that couple years, so maybe its someone else)?

This is a weaker thread, but I'll drown you.
    Live Free or Die

Do you live in Jackson? I've swum in the pool there. It's nice.

Those are solid goals. It might take you some time to get back to that level, but don't get discouraged. Something you might want to check into is what is called "Ultra Short Race Paced Training." The idea is to basically train at race pace all the time. Lots of people have been using it lately and it seems to work well. It's also great if you don't want to spend hours in the pool just logging yardage.

Here's an idea of what it's like. Let's say you're training for that 52.0 100 free. An USRPT set might be 30x25 on :30 trying to hold all your swims at :13. The expectation is you can't complete the set. As soon as you miss your pace, you sit out a swim. If you miss two in a row the set is over.

Hey I was right! I'm in Jackson, not bad digs for a local rec pool.

Thanks man, all my goals are 2-5 seconds off my personal bests back in college, but after my 2000 or so yards today I've got a long ways to go it appears.

Interesting on the newer thoughts on training, I was always a sprint guy even before the smoking, and I'm just harkening back to fingertip drills and rotational breathing sets at this point.

I've got about 1.5 hours a day in the pool which is nice, starting off easy with some stuff from 100swimmingworkouts.com for shits and giggles, feels good to be back in the pool.

Looks like Colorado is the only nearby state that has a meet worth going to though, any experience up this aways? Open water seems to be more popular down in Utah, but I have zero experience and endurance has never been my strength.
    Live Free or Die

Colorado definitely has a lot of masters swimmers and that would probably be the place to go for pool meets. You should try an open water swim sometime. You might like it, you might hate it. I like it and do several OW races each summer.

I swam HS, college, then masters in my 30's. when I lived in Missoula there was a real active masters group. Now I live in Big Sky and there is no pool.

There is a proposal to use our Resort Tax money to fund a rec center/pool for locals. I support that idea. I would like to get back in the water, great form of exercise.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

BTW, I'm off to Masters Nationals on Thursday. Wish me luck! Up until a week ago I thought I was ready, but then my arm/shoulder started hurting all of a sudden. It was really pretty bad last week, but seems to be improving. We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    BTW, I'm off to Masters Nationals on Thursday. Wish me luck! Up until a week ago I thought I was ready, but then my arm/shoulder started hurting all of a sudden. It was really pretty bad last week, but seems to be improving. We'll see how it goes.
    Swimming is a healthy addiction but don't let it turn into a chronic injury or worse. If it isn't there drink a beer and enjoy the record heat.

You guys are killing me. I've been meaning to get back in the pool for a while now, but .. you know... shit gets in the way. Prakash rides! (iceman reference for being the driver for kids to their activities.)

Ha, Prakash! I hadn't thought about that for a while, wow. Yeah it's kinda hard to get too much done in your spare time from the taxi job.

Good luck my man! My shoulder used to bark at me all the time now that I think of it, it was always tendonitis and my coaches would call me a girl. Not a fun feeling though.

Psych sheets online somewhere?

Edit: Psych sheets link: http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats14/heats/

Deck seeded distance events, good luck on the seed AD.
    Live Free or Die

Thanks! Yeah, I'm only swimming one event that's preseeded. They decided to deck seed all the events 200 and over on Sunday to reduce the timeline. I've got kind of a funny schedule. One event each of the first three days, and then three on Sunday.

They decided to deck seed all the events 200 and over
    What is deck seeding ? Not familiar with that term.
    Thnx.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    What is deck seeding ?
    Deck seeding means you must positively check in for the event. After the check-in deadline the event is seeded, that way they can minimize the number of empty lanes.

OK, that makes sense. I really hope we go ahead with the community pool. The competing proposal is to build an indoor rodeo arena with the money. WTF ?

I started a swim set thread a year or two ago. It didn't really take off...

I had my annual alumni polo game a few weeks ago. I was bumped from the "Old Guys" to the "Old Old Guys" team this year. We won, thanks to that creative reffing that always helps out the aged.

I spent about a month doing 10k a week to prepare and was in decent shape for it. Before that, I was in the pool about once a week doing 2K. My problem is that I get terribly bored swimming when there isn't a ball...

I am thinking about joining a masters swim program to mix it up. No masters polo here....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

OK, that makes sense. I really hope we go ahead with the community pool. The competing proposal is to build an indoor rodeo arena with the money. WTF ?

Pool doesn't have a chance. Yee haw.

Hopefully its a nice 25 yard by 25 meter tank. Seems like a lot community pools are skimping out and going with the 25yard by 8 lane overflow gutter deal. That pool sucks.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

enjoy your shoulders while you can. Mine started hurting at the end of college, and after getting back into it 20 yrs later I've found that 15k a day had long term consequences.

I'm just glad I saved my knee's for later in life.

Make a splash!

I'm a swimmer - been a fish all my life. Best most peaceful workout I've ever found. When I'm in the water it's like the rest of the world goes away. There was another poster here that I used to ski with that swam too - Chronic. Great guy, met a gal and immigrated to Canada.

My events are:

Back (50, 100, 200)
    Free (50, 100, 200, 500)
    Medley Relay (Back).

Never could master the Fly and only so-so at the Breast but I kill it when I'm doing the back.

Gotta add: LOVE that swimmer's build. Mmmmmmmm broad shoulders, shapely thighs and a long reach. LOL!

1st week back in the pool for me, did a mile and a quarter this AM, feels great. I'll just do nonstop mellow laps for 2 weeks and then start picking up the pace and push harder.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeghoul View Post
    1st week back in the pool for me, did a mile and a quarter this AM, feels great. I'll just do nonstop mellow laps for 2 weeks and then start picking up the pace and push harder.
    Well its only been a couple days really, but I'm pretty happy with the workouts I get access to with membership. Its pretty cheap.

Probably more useful for folks like me with zero folks to train with, other than the cranky real old guys there at 6am.

I will say that morning "practice" is way easier to get up for as an adult!
    Live Free or Die

I'm very interested in the potential of soaking wet cougars involved in this so called masters swimming
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I will say that morning "practice" is way easier to get up for as an adult!
    I still hate it just as much. After I'm up it's fine, but getting out of bed is another story. I swim after work 90% of the time as a result. The downside to that is it's easy to make excuses during the day why not to swim!

BTW, I won my first event (1650 free) at Nationals today!

I still hate it just as much. After I'm up it's fine, but getting out of bed is another story. I swim after work 90% of the time as a result. The downside to that is it's easy to make excuses during the day why not to swim!

BTW, I won my first event (1650 free) at Nationals today!
    Good work champ. Same age group?

I hate everything about morning workout except on a warm Saturday or Sunday at daybreak. I hate being cold, I hate getting in the pool, I hate the darkness. Hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Good work champ. Same age group?
    Yes, luckily for me. There are a couple super fast guys who are a few years older, so I clean up when they age up out of my age group!