Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 180

Thread: Racial outrage

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,546

    Racial outrage

    Spent some time in the car this afternoon and got to hear about a million versions of the Don Sterling story. I don't begin to understand why that guy would feel that way or say those things, or any of the other things I guess he's said in the past... But that being said, what's the story with the idea that if someone is racist, anyone can do to them anything they want? A couple of guys on ESPN were suggesting that the whole team should be allowed to be free agents, the guy should be forced to sell the team, etc... Essentially, people seem to think that since the guy is racist, no rules apply. Seems even more over the top than the ridiculous comments the guy made - especially considering this isn't exactly an epiphany - the guy's a known racist shitbag.

    Opportunism at it's most cynical?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Manhattan Beach
    Posts
    1,414
    News flash: It's 2014. You sound off like some plantation owning fucktard and you get the wrath. Honestly, you feel certain people are less than equal due to their skin pigment and you you should be roasted on a fucking spit. Learn to walk upright with the rest of us or go the fuck away.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    News flash: It's 2014. You sound off like some plantation owning fucktard and you get the wrath. Honestly, you feel certain people are less than equal due to their skin pigment and you you should be roasted on a fucking spit. Learn to walk upright with the rest of us or go the fuck away.
    So you're saying racists aren't a protected cultural minority?

    I know that's a ridiculous thing to say, but the hypocrisy is a little hard to stomach...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    33,518
    racism should not be protected in The USA.
    .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    9,033
    This isn't going to be popular, but when has that stopped me...

    I hate racist shitbags. But on the radio today they were saying he shouldn't be allowed to enter the arena. The arena of the team that he has owned for 30+ years. His racism isn't exactly been a secret in the past. But guess what... plenty of minorities he is racist against, line up at his doorstep for the green money. Doc Rivers would rather work for a racist POS for top dollar than rebuild with a shit Celtics team.

    I find his point of views disgusting, but he believes what he believes and no one under his employee says boo because of the fat stacks they make. Who is worse, the asshole that tries to hide his racism, or the one that ignores someones racism, knowing he despises them, just to get rich? And frankly, it's not like anyone under his employ couldn't find a job elsewhere.

    So in short, I think he is a fuck. But not a single person currently under his employ has fuckall to say. They knew well before accepting that paycheck who was signing it.
    Last edited by systemoverblow'd; 04-28-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,866
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    racism should not be protected in The USA.
    And yet the NAACP gave this clown a lifetime achievement award and was going to give him another. What's up with that? Sterling's been a known commodity for years. Protected and celebrated nonetheless.


    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/d...2614?gt1=39002
    DNC: The party of gays, gungrabbers, wets, welfare queens, babykillers and ambulance chasers.

    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,144
    He needs to date a few black girls...stat.

    Even the most hardened racists sometimes waver.
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...rostitute.html
    Last edited by Timberridge; 04-28-2014 at 08:45 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,127
    Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    So in short, I think he is a fuck. But not a single person currently under his employ has fuckall to say. They knew well before accepting that paycheck who was signing it.
    Well, I think you need to exempt the guys on rookie contracts, as they didn't really have a choice if they wanted to play in the NBA, but otherwise it's a valid point. In fact, the most baffling part of all of this is the way people are acting like new shit has come to light. We've known he's a racist shitbag for years, what changed?

    As to the OPs point, the NBA is a business; the LA Clippers aren't really a standalone business, they're part of a greater business entity. So while he is an owner, he is beholden in some ways to the larger organization.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Stuck in perpetual Meh
    Posts
    35,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    He needs to date a few black girls...stat.
    Ummm... the girl he was talking to was mixed race.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    写道
    Posts
    11,155
    He wasn't dating her; he bought her.
    ˇÓrale, vato!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Agrestic
    Posts
    4,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Well, I think you need to exempt the guys on rookie contracts, as they didn't really have a choice if they wanted to play in the NBA, but otherwise it's a valid point. In fact, the most baffling part of all of this is the way people are acting like new shit has come to light. We've known he's a racist shitbag for years, what changed?

    As to the OPs point, the NBA is a business; the LA Clippers aren't really a standalone business, they're part of a greater business entity. So while he is an owner, he is beholden in some ways to the larger organization.
    That's bullshit, you can't just take the guys team because he's a racist. He isn't the first and he won't be the last (George Marshall, Dan Snyder to name a few). The dude has been a racist and the league has just been hoping he'd go away and die for years and he didn't.

    Meanwhile Stern and the other owners have looked the other way and instead decided to address such things as hip hop culture and dress codes.

    The fans are the ones with the power here and if they decide to do something good for them but I don't agree that he should have to vacate his ownership position. The players could refuse to take his money but I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen.

    Adam Silver isn't exactly killing it in the morality realm.

    http://www.nj.com/ledger-dalessandro...ften_ugly.html

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    He wasn't dating her; he bought her.

    Historically, aren't the two about the same? It's just the scale and terms of the purchase.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    11,799
    ^^^True dat. People that line up to take this guys money do not have a pot to piss in. If the league wants to censor him for being a douche bag, lots of people would agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    17,982
    In the grand scheme of things, do players really care much about the team owner? Yeah, there are your Steinbrenners and Al Davis' who are heavily involved in the day-to-day operations of the team they own, but generally is the owner much more than an eminence grise?

    So I guess my point is it's hard to blame the players in any way for this. They may have heard Sterling was a racist, but I wonder if they've really been affected by his racism? The head coach may have more interaction with the coach, but again, Rivers is probably reporting much more to management than to Sterling.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,817
    The NBA is struggling in many markets. Attendance is down and TV ratings are down. If the players choose to make a moral stand of any significance on this the league will get crushed.

    Why didn't the players make a stronger stand against the dress code? They will not bite the hand that feeds them.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,127
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    That's bullshit, you can't just take the guys team because he's a racist. He isn't the first and he won't be the last (George Marshall, Dan Snyder to name a few). The dude has been a racist and the league has just been hoping he'd go away and die for years and he didn't.
    Of course you can't just take away his team; it's a property right. And I have no idea what the governing documents of the NBA say, as to what they can and can't do to an owner. But just like players can be suspended or have contracts voided or whatever based on conduct, it seems likely that there could be a similar mechanism for owners, to suspend/fine or even force a sale. And even if not, they surely have tactics that could lead to a forced sale, even if that itself isn't the official punishment.

    Whether you agree with those options is another matter entirely.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    写道
    Posts
    11,155
    The irony, as I see it, is that D Sterling has done more for local job creation (LA County), and indirectly brought more benefit to the local black community, than Obama ever has or ever will.
    ˇÓrale, vato!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Agrestic
    Posts
    4,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Of course you can't just take away his team; it's a property right. And I have no idea what the governing documents of the NBA say, as to what they can and can't do to an owner. But just like players can be suspended or have contracts voided or whatever based on conduct, it seems likely that there could be a similar mechanism for owners, to suspend/fine or even force a sale. And even if not, they surely have tactics that could lead to a forced sale, even if that itself isn't the official punishment.

    Whether you agree with those options is another matter entirely.
    Read the article I linked to. A lot of them are morally reprehensible. I understand that racism gets a special level of outrage.

    Fine him what? He's got the type of money where you can say stupid shit for years and not worry. Suspend him? I doubt he'll be showing up to his highly visible seats anytime soon.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    17,982
    Marge Schott is probably the closest analogy to this. She was fined a few times, and maybe not forced out of ownership of the Reds, but certainly pushed in that direction.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Ummm... the girl he was talking to was mixed race.
    My bad. I haven't been paying much attention to the story.

    He should date a gay black basketball player then.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ventura Highway in the Sunshine
    Posts
    21,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    As to the OPs point, the NBA is a business; the LA Clippers aren't really a standalone business, they're part of a greater business entity. So while he is an owner, he is beholden in some ways to the larger organization.
    This

    He is not a stand alone business, and the NBA should have certain standards (or one would hope.) I don't know what the sanctions should be, but there should be some very significant ones.

    I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    33,518
    indefinite suspension is my idea.
    .

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,817
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    indefinite suspension is my idea.
    Which means what? He can't attend games? Other than forced sell of the team what could they possibly do?

    I'm guessing $5m fine.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Agrestic
    Posts
    4,823
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    This

    He is not a stand alone business, and the NBA should have certain standards (or one would hope.) I don't know what the sanctions should be, but there should be some very significant ones.
    They've looked the other way for years but since most here aren't NBA fans they aren't aware of Sterling's history of racism. The hilarious thing is that what he said is far less of a transgression than other racist behavior that he has engaged in.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,817
    Sponsors dropping their deals with Clippers will make the team more valuable. It allows for a cleaner sale and sponsor renegotiation with better terms now that the team is decent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •