Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I think Brian was surprised because it didn't hold in what should have been a "normal" release.

Isn't there some snowboard post you could spam?
    um yeah, smartypants, that's pretty much exactly what i said.

and no, snowboarders are punks. i prefer assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    maybe if you guys put your boots in the skis before you put your feet in the boots these things wouldn't happen.
    will someone post some Video of this dufus troll, Gaper Sideline Animal.I Wager you make turns, like French girls Shave leghair
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    will someone post some Video of this dufus troll, Gaper Sideline Animal.I Wager you make turns, like French girls Shave leghair

i guess the slow kids are congregating.

spook Guest
    i wish jonesy would have caught my catastrophic fall at bachelor that could have killed me or left me a vegetable. then you guys would have something to laugh at. i've thought about goproing myself every trip out just for you guys.

I think you're still missing the point about the zip tie. It's supposed to break.

Are you talking to yourself now ^^^^ ?!?

Nearly 10k posts in 7 years. I bet your folks pull your picture out of their wallet at dinner with friends and tell 'em what a success you are.

spook Guest
    yes, i get it supposed to break -- in an avalanche. isn't that what you said. i'm not going to go back and look. i didn't get this far looking back and knowing how to multiquote or whatever the fuck it's called. but somebody in here was surprised that the zip tie broke, right? i don't know shit but i wouldn't expect expect a zip tie to hold my ski or board if my binding broke and the ski fell off in any kind of remotely violent release.

i don't know my parents.

yes, i get it supposed to break -- in an avalanche. isn't that what you said. i'm not going to go back and look. i didn't get this far looking back and knowing how to multiquote or whatever the fuck it's called. but somebody in here was surprised that the zip tie broke, right? i don't know shit but i wouldn't expect expect a zip tie to hold my ski or board if my binding broke and the ski fell off in any kind of remotely violent release.

i don't know my parents.
    No, you got it. I was just fucking with you.

Too bad about your parents. Were you raised by wolves?

spook Guest
    no. the wolves wouldn't have me. hyenas.

Wow. Nice recoveriy stories: Could of easily gone to shit and de mortuis (dead).

Knock that snow off your boot bottoms!after you drop the skins;and re-click in. the way that released I cant imagine you didnt miss some there.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

no. the wolves wouldn't have me. hyenas.
    You were raised by Spats? That explains a lot.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Glad you are ok. I've seen a fatal tumble there before.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    Knock that snow off your boot bottoms!after you drop the skins;and re-click in. the way that released I cant imagine you didnt miss some there.
    Or just go east coast style and carry your boots pre-clicked in to your skis.

It's all the rage over there, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^^^ and dont forget to pack the loaded Glock.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    Wow. Scary, nightmare situation. Having taken a tomahawk fall down a no fall zone, this terrifies me. I've gotten in the habit of always checking my tech bindings before dropping with a few quick, firm jumps. Once, the ski popped off because I hadn't adequately cleared the ice... and this saved me from a ski release at the top turn of a chute.

Glad you're ok. Thanks for the report. A good reminder why we should all be diligent in inspecting our shit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums
    Nailed it. I had a pair of 1st generation Plum Guides and after skiing Dodges Drop (50 degrees no fall) found one binding with the pin holding in the wing of inside edge toe pin sticking half way out. Lucky for me it stayed put. Scary stuff. Check them every run now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

TR: When your binding releases in a no-fall zone...

Forgot to return to this... there was some dirt/crud/etc. causing the toe to not close completely. You couldn't really tell, unless you really looked at the side profile of a good and bad binding together (how the toe spring bridge looks when engaged) - it looked closed and had a 'pop' like it was closed, but the the pins couldn't fully seat into the sockets. Basically just like if you had ice under the toepiece. On close inspection you could see the debris, but it was easy to miss on a cursory glance. Binding is now fully functional again. Gonna start adopting the 'stomp around and jump' technique from here on out - just too much you can't easily know about until the ski pops off.

Went back to get Helen again and to conquer my fears. Unfortunately, the universe didn't want me to really ski it this year. 60mph winds turned me away. I literally had to hunker down, and then run a short bit, and then hunker down again. I wasn't feeling it, especially being solo, and the ridge above the face is kind of exposed and narrow, so you really need to be careful when putting on your skis. In those kinds of winds? Fuck... That. I peaced out and will just go back next year (by the time I could go back a third time, the choke was likely melted out).

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Forgot to return to this... there was some dirt/crud/etc. causing the toe to not close completely. You couldn't really tell, unless you really looked at the side profile of a good and bad binding together (how the toe spring bridge looks when engaged) - it looked closed and had a 'pop' like it was closed, but the the pins couldn't fully seat into the sockets. Basically just like if you had ice under the toepiece. On close inspection you could see the debris, but it was easy to miss on a cursory glance. Binding is now fully functional again. Gonna start adopting the 'stomp around and jump' technique from here on out - just too much you can't easily know about until the ski pops off.
    Just to clarify, you were able to completely lock out the toe as if it were normal, but it still didn't fully close? I can't say I've had that happen--seems kinda scary. When ice builds up under the spring, there's usually some extra resistance while locking out or it won't lock all the way.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Just to clarify, you were able to completely lock out the toe as if it were normal, but it still didn't fully close? I can't say I've had that happen--seems kinda scary. When ice builds up under the spring, there's usually some extra resistance while locking out or it won't lock all the way.
    ^ This...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Yeah, it looked like it was fully closed also. I didn't notice any unusual resistance when locking out, but at this point in the season, I hadn't been out on Dynafits much. I wish the crud was still in there so I could go back and look at that, though.

I do a jump test routine myslelf and have had what seemed a good fit pop right off on the first jump.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Yikes. I'm glad nothing worse happened. I'd ask Salewa replace the entire toe for peace of mind.

I can relate. Five years ago, I was skiing solo into a fairly firm couloir. On my very first turn, my Dynafit toe ripped out of my ski. I was able to self arrest, get my shit together after a few minutes, break out the ice axe, and survive the ideal. But it made me realize how dependent on our equipment we are. It doesn't take much to turning a ripping run into utter disaster.

Is that next to Basin peak? I think I've skied that line.

what do you guys use to clean the boot inserts toe and heel?

I think that using anything made of metal will scratch the inserts, which wil make them more susceptible to icing.

plus if you walk on dirt, the rear inserts get really clogged up, and it takes forever to clean them.

Voile strap clip or pole tip.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Golf tee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I think that using anything made of metal will scratch the inserts, which will make them more susceptible to icing.
    Not to worry. The pins and toe inserts are hardened alloy steel, probably some sort of tool steel. Scraping them clean with a stainless steel knife (much softer) aint gonna hurt them.

Just reread this thread. I've had late season grit get in and/or under my toes thus not allowing them to fully close, but it was obvious when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    what do you guys use to clean the boot inserts toe and heel?
    It isn't perfect but I often use the tip of my whippet cause it's easy and something I typically have with me.