Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Awesome shots and TR! Way to get back on the horse, mang. When my surgeon, Cooley (he and his partner have repaired several high-profile sports types), could tell there was no way he was going to stop me from continuing an ongoing ski streak, he showed me how to best wrap and immobilize my newly attached ACL.
    As I left his office, he shook his head and said, "DO. NOT. FALL!" Then he said, "If all goes well, I want a picture of you skiing to put on my office wall. If it doesn't, I don't know you, and I won't be doing the repair surgery on my messed up work."
    I'm pretty sure he was serious. At least I took him very seriously.

The picture below is the one I sent to him afterwards.
    "Don't bug me, granny. I don't dig slick chicks trying to goof me up." --Tragg

Hey powdork have you tried any running or jumping on that leg yet? Wondering when I should try more impact activities and you are a pretty good gauge..lol

running in the pool is great strength training/rehab. low impact and a really good work out. many people will wonder wot and why.
    I too came back from knee surgery, and a few years earlier broken leg, and the year before that another broken leg, by pushing my luck, exercising and rehab. Soooo many people told me not to do wot I was doing but wot the fark do they know. I had a really old doctor for the broken legs. I promised to stay off beer(I know hey) and do everything right. he spelt it out to me in strait terms and I was back in the game in no time. most of us here are fit healthy people and we will recover faster than most.
    but you gotta want it ...
    make pain your friend !!!
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Skiobsessed View Post
    Hey powdork have you tried any running or jumping on that leg yet? Wondering when I should try more impact activities and you are a pretty good gauge..lol
    i have run on it some, or jogged at least. have jumped too but nothing big. had my final meeting with the doc last week. when i asked him about it's hurting when i wake up in the morning his reply was "Oh yeah it's gonna hurt for the rest of your life you really did a number on it".
    I have had a few falls on it. The worst was scrambling down some large talus and the opposite leg slipped on a rock and i landed on the injured leg in a very bent position. Finishing the hike i was worried I had screwed something up since the pain was similar to the original injury. After the five minute drive back to the house everything was all good.
    Today I did a 10 mile hike (Mount Tallac) before work and the pain was bad enough I tried to get the night off to no avail. It felt mostly fine by the end of my shift.
    My biggest issue is stiffness after a long car ride, etc. That and the fact that the injured leg is now much hairier for some reason.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Thanks for info! Yeah mine gets stiff after sitting too long too! Im hoping that will go away eventaully.. My doc says it takes 18 months for it to feel "normal" again. Good to know about the pain going away after your fall! And thats awesome you hiked tallac on it! I skied tallac years ago and I remember it being a lonnnggg hike up!
    I always worry about the balance now between pushing it to heal, and pushing it too far.. But I def have not pushed as hard as you! Every time I get scared I might be doing too much I just check what you've done and then Im like "ok its fine Im a wimp" haha
    I am mostly doing just bike, eliptcial, squats, wall sits, etc non-impact leg stuff.. Dr keeps warning about early arthritis so thats why the impact part scares me, and also I still worry about damaging it again since supposedly the bone is now softer than a "normal bone".. At some point I need to start jumping and training it to be more explosive again and be able to take landings by ski season etc.. I know I wanna be able to jump stuff but then I hesitate to start cuz its not worth f'ing it up now after allllll this time!!
    Anyway thanks again and glad to hear you didnt mess it up when you fell! Was your Doc pretty happy with all you have been doing when you saw him? Did he say anything about avoiding a lot of impact from now on or did he tell you to go for it?

He said I should avoid bumps next year and I told him I have thousands of dollars of gear designed to avoid bumps. He thought that was funny and said I was cleared 'to do all the things you've already been doing'. He did say arthritis was likely but didn't tie it to anything other than the original injury and surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    My biggest issue is stiffness after a long car ride, etc. That and the fact that the injured leg is now much hairier for some reason.
    Yeah, you may have this stiffness the rest of your dayz. My old knee repair always lets me know when weather is a comin'.

Are you sure the dog is not humping your leg while you are asleep? ;-)
    watch out for snakes

Jeezuz, I just know that stem cell/prp injections will be sop for post surgery some day.

Hey powdork! Hows the knee? How are muscles coming? You been doing much plyo stuff?

Need to forward this to my lil bro... for motivation. He just broke his at the trampoline park in Orem.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiobsessed View Post
    Hey powdork! Hows the knee? How are muscles coming? You been doing much plyo stuff?
    It hurts alot, but doesn't keep me from doing too much (which is probably why it hurts alot). hardly any plyo stuff (at least jumping). doing lots of mountain biking, lots of climbing which generally includes a lot of hiking with a heavy pack. walking downhill sucks generally. trying to get to the gym and rebuild strength, but leg presses and knee extensions are still well below where i was before. There are good days where I take no ibuprofen but I generally take 1200mg/day. First two or three steps after I wake up are scary but it rapidly improves.

I had MPFL reconstruction about a year ago and have been doing Bikrim yoga as my therapy and my knee has never felt better!

-BOV
    @blackopsvaldez

Epic
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Awesome.