Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Japanese Terrain Photos

I live by the mountains in Japan and ski tour and explore very often for 6 months a year, mostly keeping to myself. Here are some mountain terrain photos I've taken in the Chubu region. I take literally thousands of terrain photos and just grabbed these ones from an album I've been building recently. Batch edit, click feelin' lucky then click B&W... it probably shows and I don't really care. I'm lazy.

Motivation: to contribute some variety on TGR, and to show some terrain character which is not the usual chosen to represent Japan. Some places are very well known and busy, others not at all. Some by ski towns, or a very very long walk from them. Hell, at least one is taken from my bedroom window. A few are boney in early season, but most have thick and full mid winter packs. Some I've skied, some I never will and so as not to mislead: I like mellow and exploration more than gnar anyway. None are really supposed to impress compared to other mountains of the world, just to look a little different to beech trees and face shots of Japan. Of course there are so many more places in Japan, more remote, more impressive. This is not intended to be a premier list, not even close. I know some crews are coming here are getting into some different terrain away from busy locations, and that is great.

For a variety of reasons there are no action shots at all. Get there, put yourself in the picture. Or just imagine.

I love exploring mountain ranges on skis, who cares if it is close to home or far away. Hope you enjoy.

If you scrolled this far: I didn't put watermarks on the pics. But if you like words and ski action photos, here is a magazine my wife and I print each year as a hobby http://www.issuu.com/hakuba-mountain...ue2_winter1314
    Life is not lift served.

I forgot the soundtrack! Turn 'er up.

Life is not lift served.

TGR delivers most Sundays for a place to gaze while sipping my coffee. Big time delivery today.

Salivating over here.

wow thanks for that. i need to get back to japan.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Fantabulous.

Came across the Hakuba mag on issuu yesterday funnily enough. Solid.

Some beautiful alpine lines and peaks there.

This one's my favourite.

It does make me laugh when pros & joe's come over to Hokkaido and then complain that the terrain isn't steep and/or challenging enough.

Hopefully they'll see this thread and realise if you want deep & steep, head to Honshu.

When can I come visit? Incredible shots.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Awesome shots D, ridiculous terrain, definitely want to get back out there with you. Maybe next year. Thanks for the stoke
    Last edited by thin cover; 04-28-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Photos and magazine are excellent, thanks! Page 44 is definitely my favorite - looks to have endless options and aspects.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Incredible photos; thanks for the stoke.

#4 is my favourite; the wind honking off the ridge reminds me of home, the trees definitely don't but are sooo perfect, and the terrain is just dreamy.

If any of you haven't read D's excellent magazine, you're missing out; it is very good.

The typical Japow shot, whiteroom in the woods, is cool and all, but it's nice to see the lay of the land. Thanks.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Thanks all. Once my skiing starts to slow down I replace it by staring at photos and maps from the season. I get itchy to share them.

Island Bay, here is your fav from the near the top in December. It is a fun 700m run, not very stressful at all.

Hop - your's is right in the heart of Hakuba. Despite that, you won't find many [any] foreigners there though.

Mike - near Murodo in mid November Very easy access. But you have to turn your back on bigger closer pieces to go ski it. Before you any pro-joes to look at this thread though I gotta say that some terrain pictured here is absurdly difficult to access in winter. Two days hiking, perhaps 20hrs+ in total with only a 10 minute break every hour via the most prudent routes. I distributed some caches in October and later spent 3 weeks camping in an area just to get a little bit of it done, or, "if not skied then see'd". Other zones are best done with one or two nights out. Some are day trips.

Guiding was mentioned. Just a general comment: being Japan, hooking up with an appropriate and reputable Japanese guide or local rather than a foreigner-resident is always my recommended first option. Though often not so easy to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04841.JPG 
Views:	2440 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	154757  
    Last edited by neck beard; 04-28-2014 at 02:57 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

Are you also by chance the operator of Hakuba Mountain Life on facebook?

Yes, that is me.
    Life is not lift served.

wow. 12345
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

neck beard, great photos of some amazing places.

I hear you on the mellow exploration note; I think its a path that ages well.

Thanks again for these. Will be on the lookout for more.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Mike - near Murodo in mid November Very easy access. But you have to turn your back on bigger closer pieces to go ski it. Before you any pro-joes to look at this thread though I gotta say that some terrain pictured here is absurdly difficult to access in winter. Two days hiking, perhaps 20hrs+ in total with only a 10 minute break every hour via the most prudent routes. I distributed some caches in October and later spent 3 weeks camping in an area just to get a little bit of it done, or, "if not skied then see'd". Other zones are best done with one or two nights out. Some are day trips.
    Most Novembers?

Could be the start of my season next winter

Cool stuff!

wow, those are awesome, thanks for sharing

what is the snowpack like in japan? i figure mostly maritime?

These photos are beautiful and very tastefully done! I love the aesthetics of the mountain ranges in Japan.

So many of your mountains are riddled with deep terrain traps. I imagine that plus low visibility and constant snowfall might provide a significant limiting factor in terms of getting into the alpine during winter, no?

Quote Originally Posted by mtl_ripper View Post
    I think its a path that ages well.
    That is a poem to my ears. It is also a lonely path yet a worthy investment that leads to incredible opportunities and places, and on the right day, big lines that most people will never get access to.

Meat - yes, maritimes - deep and warm snow. However in my part of Japan I'd say maritime quality with continental quality immediately during the storms that then settles out pretty fast to velvet cream in the shade. Parts of Hokkaido 600km north of me have Maritime quantity+Montana quality. But still deep maritime style packs.

Drumond - fractal terrain traps! No matter what scale you look at, you'll find them, terrain traps inside terrain traps. Also very convoluted terrain. I don't like it much. Others either ignore them or don't understand them. I stop skiing steeper terrain once there is a rain crust in the snowpack. That happens sometime in Feb can can go all the way to the top. I start again when April arrives. Dec and April are the best alpine months. Alpine is off the cards in mid winter unless it is a gloriously "bad" season for the resort tourists. They are great seasons for us. Generally, March is the worst month IMHO.

Mike - The last half of November in that zone usually has a few good days, but you have to sit and wait for them. Avoid weekends - insanely crowded and dangerous.
    Life is not lift served.

My friend, those are not photographs.
    They are love notes. Very elegant and private love notes.
    Now we are all in love with your place.
    Gratitude.
    D1

Enjoy your new love, D1.

MikePow - forgot to add that if Murodo doesn't present an opportunity before access shuts at the end of November, then somewhere else usually does. This is Nov 30th, 3-4 hours tour from a lift in Hakuba, the spot that caught IslandBay's eye in the OP. Come down, I'll trade you a few tours for some performance ski lessons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04441-002.JPG 
Views:	2167 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	154824
    Life is not lift served.

nice photos. definitly some big lines in the area. access seems hard especially without a car. was wondering what the name of this place is

I saw some big stuff in the area was trying to find it on google earth to see how close.
    off your knees Louie

I assume March is the worst because of sun-warming and solar crusts, etc? In terms of latitude you are quite far south, right?

I loved the touring I did on both Hokkaido and Honshu. Very quiet and pleasant with quite a bit to explore. The alpine in Hokkaido looked extremely wind-ripped for the most part. I was all below treeline in Honshu but it looked like the weather might be a little better for the alpine terrain down there.