trouble shooting a Contour GPS cam

SO I ended up buying a used Contour GPS for a pretty good price but of course I'm having a little trouble with it. The lights on the camera work when plugged in but I'm having tough time getting the battery to charge or the SD card to format. Since I can't get the battery to charge I also can't update the firmware.

I know a few peeps on here have contour cameras so I'm in here looking for a bit of wisdom on how to get this thing to work.

My computer (mac) recognizes the camera and the SD card so I think this thing works. I am not using the San Dsic brand, seems they aren't comatible with the C-GPS. It almost seems like a battery issue, either they are dead and can't be charged or maybe just not charging? I have tried using the USB port that runs my external HD, I figure that should have enough juice to charge the battery...right? It seems to actually function better when it is plugged into my ipad charger, more of the lights work as described in the manual an such.

Should I buy an external battery charger for this or perhaps a new battery? Should I strangle the kid I bought this from and get my money back?

Thanks
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

GPS battery dies quick. New battery should be cheap. But it does require contour software for computer to recognize. Can download still I imagine or get a cd copy. I may still have it. My buddy has gps and it kills battery
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I have the software, no problem there.

Just a power issue. But seems to power up when plugged in. Guess I'll have to try a new battery.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com