Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I'll wager that Targhee skis until July this year. But the lower XC trails will be mostly rideable.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Got 3.5 days of great riding in at Fruita and Moab over the weekend. Moab is pretty amazing. It's quite a change for somebody that is used to riding almost exclusively densely forested, rolling hills. Looks like cache creek is on the way and at least the elk refuge roads open up May 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by HVskier View Post
    Got 3.5 days of great riding in at Fruita and Moab over the weekend. Moab is pretty amazing. It's quite a change for somebody that is used to riding almost exclusively densely forested, rolling hills. Looks like cache creek is on the way and at least the elk refuge roads open up May 1st.
    The bike path to the park already opened. There was something in the paper about an early opening a week ago. Apparently they decided a few bikes wouldn't bother the elk.

yea I think they've been mellowing out about use of that elk refuge path.

Crystal Mountain - as baby bear said, I think you'll have a significantly easier time finding somewhere reasonable to rent in Victor or Driggs, just as it's significantly easier to find somewhere reasonable to live over there. The house we just moved from in Victor had an upstairs one bedroom the owner was planning on Airbnb'ing to folks like yourself but it's still occupied by a more long-term person at the moment. Didn't get a chance to ride much over that side other than Horseshoe Canyon, which was pretty cool and a nice long ride although I felt like I was climbing the whole time...

Also, out of curiosity since I know I just dumped money into a bike, what's the deal with the May bike swaps around town? Can you tend to find screaming deals or will most rigs be close to their pinkbike classifieds pricing?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

They are usually fundraisers, so 'screaming' is hard to come by. (25% to TFR, etc)
    But not impossible.
    GREAT cause, though!
    Last edited by rideit; 04-30-2014 at 02:28 PM.

It's Saturday May 17th this year- held at the Hub. It's been chock full o' bikes the past few yrs and there's always at least a couple good deals to be had.
    There's always freedom riders around to help with questions etc but it helps if you sort of know what you are looking for to capitalize. MOst of the times the owner hangs around or leaves their mobile # so you can get in touch with owners for offers/ questions.

Had a fun ride last night with HVSkier and ran into our buddy Rob out on the trail, Lower Putt Putt and a few miles of CC Sidewalk are dried out with maybe 3-4 quick sections requiring walks. People are definitely starting to come out of the woodwork up there, but it was a blast getting in some warm runs up there. Too bad I'm the slowest mofo in Jackson Hole...

At any rate, I think a few of us may head over to Pocatello for the weekend to ride a bit. Anybody have any beta on the rides other than City Creek? Slate Mountain or Corral Creek?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

keeping an eye on this thread, one of my real good friends is in alta so i hope to visit this summer and will be bringing the bike with

whats the word this year, any big plans, concerns, snow pack?

i also need to kick said friend in the nuts to get out and dig, as well as ride, with some fools and stop being an anti social workaholic, he also wont get off his new sled anytime he does get out and play, think hes addicted to octane and the dark side now haha

hey forty! Good to see you on here.... biggest concern at the moment is a deep deep snowpack up high, so I'm imagining some of the higher trails off Teton Pass won't dry out til later in the summer. Stuff lower down, especially in the Cache Creek area, is drying out quick. Over in Teton Valley I've heard stuff is starting to open but have no specifics.

Had some good rides on Putt Putt, Sidewalk, and the Wiggle with HV and JeffreyJim... good times suffering a daily VO2 max workout just to keep within a mile of those two on the climbs.

Any roadies on here?

Quote Originally Posted by sugarloaftrees View Post
    Any roadies on here?
    None that would admit to it .

BTW if any local mags are out skipping around Cache Creek this evening, I'll be out with HV and Rob after 5:30 to shoot some bike photos for the new TGR site. If you see us out there stop and join!

Bad new development:

Just what we need on popular riding areas.
    Ugh.

Summer Sandbag Series

FREE STRAVA CHALLENGE SERIES

Introducing the Summer Sandbag Series! This is a handicapped series of Strava challenges that will take place throughout the summer. Handicapping will allow the lesser of us to compete against the fastest riders in Jackson. Each Strava challenge will be open for two weeks of unlimited attempts. Handicapped standings will be posted here and we'll announce final standings after the Moose-Roubaix in the fall.

Series results will be based on points awarded for handicapped placings. Every rider receives a minimum of 5 points just for participating. Stages include something for everyone, both road and mountain bikers. Road stages include flats and climbs, mountain bike stages include climbs and descents.

This is a great way to push yourself to improve and compete against your friends in a no-stress format! (Times will not be shown, only points totals) Do all the stages to rack up points, or do only the stages that interest you. There is no minimum number of stages to participate.

The Summer Sandbag Series is FREE to all who sign up!
    New to Strava?

Whether you're a confirmed Strava user with a Garmin or are one of the uninitiated, the Summer Sandbag Series is for you! Free and simple to use Strava apps for Android and iPhone mean all you need is a smartphone!
    Complete info

Complete information can be found by visiting the Summer Sandbag Series page at JHCycling.org

To sign up, simply reply to this email with your full name, and email address.

ROAD STAGES
    May 10 - May 24
    Spring Creek Climb

May 10 - May 24
    Gros Ventre Jct to Science School Jct

May 17 - May 31
    Red Top Climb

May 17 - May 31
    Antelope Flats (West to East)

June 7 - June 21
    Old Pass Road Climb

July 27
    Teton Pass Hill Climb*
    MTB STAGES
    June 18
    Cache Creek MTB Race*

June 28 - July 12
    Front of Snow King climb

July 12 - July 26
    Phillips Canyon descent

July 12 - July 26
    Phillips Ridge climb

July 19 - August 2
    Ferrins climb ( From log to top)

July 19 - August 2
    West Game descent (True descent)

(* Double Points will be awarded)

Any roadies on here?
    on my heavy ass single speed hell yah!

edit: I'd actually really like a bike with gears, once I've accumulated a few paychecks its on the list

Great to hear about the Strava challenge! I guess this means every overacheiver with a bike now has an official excuse to mow down dog walkers on Putt Putt?

Went out with HV and Rob to shoot last night, got some decent ones despite the mixed light! Damn it was tacky... so much so that Rob couldn't keep from smiling in every shot like it was a Sandals commercial!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Bad new development:

Just what we need on popular riding areas.
    Ugh.

Summer Sandbag Series

FREE STRAVA CHALLENGE SERIES

Introducing the Summer Sandbag Series! This is a handicapped series of Strava challenges that will take place throughout the summer. Handicapping will allow the lesser of us to compete against the fastest riders in Jackson. Each Strava challenge will be open for two weeks of unlimited attempts. Handicapped standings will be posted here and we'll announce final standings after the Moose-Roubaix in the fall.

Series results will be based on points awarded for handicapped placings. Every rider receives a minimum of 5 points just for participating. Stages include something for everyone, both road and mountain bikers. Road stages include flats and climbs, mountain bike stages include climbs and descents.

This is a great way to push yourself to improve and compete against your friends in a no-stress format! (Times will not be shown, only points totals) Do all the stages to rack up points, or do only the stages that interest you. There is no minimum number of stages to participate.

The Summer Sandbag Series is FREE to all who sign up!
    New to Strava?

Whether you're a confirmed Strava user with a Garmin or are one of the uninitiated, the Summer Sandbag Series is for you! Free and simple to use Strava apps for Android and iPhone mean all you need is a smartphone!
    Complete info

Complete information can be found by visiting the Summer Sandbag Series page at JHCycling.org

To sign up, simply reply to this email with your full name, and email address.

ROAD STAGES
    May 10 - May 24
    Spring Creek Climb

May 10 - May 24
    Gros Ventre Jct to Science School Jct

May 17 - May 31
    Red Top Climb

May 17 - May 31
    Antelope Flats (West to East)

June 7 - June 21
    Old Pass Road Climb

July 27
    Teton Pass Hill Climb*
    MTB STAGES
    June 18
    Cache Creek MTB Race*

June 28 - July 12
    Front of Snow King climb

July 12 - July 26
    Phillips Canyon descent

July 12 - July 26
    Phillips Ridge climb

July 19 - August 2
    Ferrins climb ( From log to top)

July 19 - August 2
    West Game descent (True descent)

(* Double Points will be awarded)
    Honestly, I think you are reading this wrong.

1) most of these are climbs.
    2) The Cache Creek 'stage' is the day of the race - no issues there
    3) Phillips Canyon rarely has uphill traffic. Plenty of people ride it full bore.
    4) Really the only one I see a problem with is West Game Descent. Rest seem fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Honestly, I think you are reading this wrong.

1) most of these are climbs.
    2) The Cache Creek 'stage' is the day of the race - no issues there
    3) Phillips Canyon rarely has uphill traffic. Plenty of people ride it full bore.
    4) Really the only one I see a problem with is West Game Descent. Rest seem fine to me.
    I think it's the general idea of people practicing these full bore (yes, even uphill racing can really piss off other user groups and grumpy old retrogrouches) on the popular multi-use trails throughout the summer that is just inviting conflict. But I don't know, I guess, remains to be seen.
    I am projecting more for the other users than my own view, I can get out of the way just fine.
    Hoping for thew best!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Great to hear about the Strava challenge! I guess this means every overacheiver with a bike now has an official excuse to mow down dog walkers on Putt Putt?

Went out with HV and Rob to shoot last night, got some decent ones despite the mixed light! Damn it was tacky... so much so that Rob couldn't keep from smiling in every shot like it was a Sandals commercial!
    Think I rode past you guys at the bottom of the wiggle, I was heading down and y'all were heading up. Super fun hero dirt yesterday PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Think I rode past you guys at the bottom of the wiggle, I was heading down and y'all were heading up. Super fun hero dirt yesterday PM.
    Were you on silver or white giant?

Just did a lunch walk up the bottom of Parrallel... First few turns are dry but snow shows up quickly after that. Going to be a bit before any pass trails are good to go I would imagine unless we get lucky with all this sun this week! Heard some kubota working in the woods in the distance... Maybe freedom riders building some stuff?

Just did a lunch walk up the bottom of Parrallel... First few turns are dry but snow shows up quickly after that. Going to be a bit before any pass trails are good to go I would imagine unless we get lucky with all this sun this week! Heard some kubota working in the woods in the distance... Maybe freedom riders building some stuff?
    I think with some shoveling and help from the sun we could be riding it by Sunday no?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I think it's the general idea of people practicing these full bore (yes, even uphill racing can really piss off other user groups and grumpy old retrogrouches) on the popular multi-use trails throughout the summer that is just inviting conflict. But I don't know, I guess, remains to be seen.
    I am projecting more for the other users than my own view, I can get out of the way just fine.
    Hoping for thew best!
    Point taken. But yeah, I see these as super low key and silly at best. If someone is out checking their splits a week ahead of time for a Strava race...well...Having this "race" isn't going to change the fact this person is (likely) already a giant douche-of-a-dude on the trail anyway.

White Giant Trance X2 from a number of years ago. I'm overdue for a new bike....

Any roadies on here?
    ya, but mostly over on the bright side- Victor to Alta, or Ghee, or Cedron Loop...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Rode putt putt all the way through from the wiggle to nelson for the first time tonight. its in good shape. Also tried going farther out on putt putt from the wiggle and turned around after a short distance when we saw some wetter looking trail and snow remnants up ahead.

Tried to ride from near the top of putt putt but ended up hike a biking through snow for a good bit of it. Fun to mix it up but up high won't be buffed out like the rest of the trail for a few weeks id imagine