Hitch Bike rack for Land Cruiser

I'm looking to pick up a hitch mounted bike rack for my 100 series Land Cruiser. I need to be able to carry different types of bikes (mountain, road, beach cruiser) so it needs to be a tray style (no North Shore). I have narrowed it down to 3 different tray style racks; Kuat NV2, Yakima holdup, and Thule T2 (I know there are others such as the 1up USA, but more interested in ones I could get locally in MT). All of these racks tilt away from the vehicle for rear hatch access. Does anyone here have any of these racks and can you comment how much clearance you have when tilted away from the vehicle? LC's are cool that they have a lift-gate and a tailgate, so I am wondering about access to the rear of the vehicle when bikes are on. Also posted this on ih8mud, but figured I would see if anyone here has a TLC and one of these racks....Thanks in advance....

I have an 80 and a T2. I find it far easier to unhook the closest in bike and lean that vs the whole rack.

I picked up Hollywood se2 rack for $256 shipped from bikerackit. Seems to fit your criteria
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Sorry to threadjack this, but I'm looking at getting a rav4 with a 2 inch hitch and a tray mount. I'm currently rocking a pair of thule sidearms, i was wondering if anyone has ever rigged a sidearm/roof mount to one of these genereric rear cargo trays with success.

http://www.draw-tite.com/content/pro...015&part=63152

seems a lot cheaper than going out and getting a new tray rack system and would also be a bit more versatile if i ever wanted to toss a cooler, etc back there for camping or something. The lack of foldback means id have to take the bike off to open up the rear, but i think thats an issue on any 2007-2012 rav4 since they have the side opening rear door
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

I have a Yakima 4 bike tilt that attaches to the bike on the cross tube. I can take 4 mtn, road, or any combo. I've tramped all over the midwest with my bikes behind my Land Cruiser without any issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Kuat. I don't have a LC (Sequoia) but comparing my Thule with a friends Kuat there is no comparison.

Just curious....why the focus on buying local? Warranty service? Supporting local businesses?

I also buy local when I can, but the 1up is just in a different category compared to those other brands.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I have a riding buddy who has the Kuat on an older Land Cruiser and loves it.

Hitch Bike rack for Land Cruiser

I have the Kuat on a 5th gen T4R and it's awesome. With 2 bikes on it I can still tilt it down and there is plenty of clearance for the lift gate.

FWIW 1ups are by far the most solid hitch rack out there. Only downside is if your a chick and can't lift it because it weighs a ton. North shore racks are super solid as well.

If you're looking to support the local economy consider 1ups are made in the US of A

I have a Kuat NV and it is great. Their customer service is amazing. I had a piece break after having it about six months. I emailed them my problem and they had a replacement part to me in a couple days. I have now had it a couple years and it is still solid as ever and I leave it on nearly all year.

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    FWIW 1ups are by far the most solid hitch rack out there. Only downside is if your a chick and can't lift it because it weighs a ton.
    Actually, one reason I went with the 1up is that it is modular- my wife (who is tiny) CAN take the rack on and off as long as she does it one piece (about 25 lbs apiece) at a time.

Love my 1up, can't say enough good things about it. Great customer service too- call the company and the owner/designer calls you back within an hour.

I have a Kuat NV and a North Shore 4 Bike. Every time I see/use a 1up I think about selling both of mine...

1UP USA seems like the way to go to me but, about $1K for the four bike stings. Kuats have more interference issues than my Thule T2(+2) due to the lack of laterally adjustable trays. In general the Kuat is higher quality though. That said, my Thule is going strong four years in now, and tilts away fine for the tailgate (on my Tundra). It is heavy as fuck to do so loaded though, and it was a two-man operation till I strung some webbing from the release lever to the end of the rack. Bonus is if you don't use the tray closest to the truck you can use the tailgate without tilting it down.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I have a 1UP and been very happy with it. As for the tilt away, I do think there are others that do it a little better/easier, but the bottom line is that the way to do it is to not load the bikes until all access has been taken care of, because no matter how the rack handles it, when there are multiple bikes on there, that shit is heavy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ridevt View Post
    I have a Kuat NV and a North Shore 4 Bike. Every time I see/use a 1up I think about selling both of mine...
    I'll take the North Shore off your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I think Nate hit it on the head...just remove the bike closest to the cruiser...I'd prefer to purchase local to support local econ, and the 1up is just too much if I eventually want to go 4 bike. I'm leaning toward the Kuat NV and then eventually getting the add on. My buddy has the NorthShore for his Xterra, and it is awsome, but since this will go on our Airstream as well, need to carry a variety of bike styles, not mountain only. Thanks for the recommendations...info goldmine!

Oh and Chattam, I was thinking of temp doing the same with a single motorcycle hitch mount and a single Thule roof mount. Just mount the Thule to some of the cross members of the moto mount. I'll mock it up this weekend and report back, it would be way less weight than the moto, but I could only do one bike max...

Not to hijack this, but what about the Raxter racks? Anyone have any experience with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubadub View Post
    Oh and Chattam, I was thinking of temp doing the same with a single motorcycle hitch mount and a single Thule roof mount. Just mount the Thule to some of the cross members of the moto mount. I'll mock it up this weekend and report back, it would be way less weight than the moto, but I could only do one bike max...
    Yeah, i looked into it a bit more. This seems like a pretty easy hack if you've got some crossbars hanging around - maybe $ 30 in parts outside of the crossbars for the mod.

http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/hom...go-635030.html

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    Yeah, i looked into it a bit more. This seems like a pretty easy hack if you've got some crossbars hanging around - maybe $ 30 in parts outside of the crossbars for the mod.

http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/hom...go-635030.html
    Glad you found that thread. This setup works great for me, but I'll warn you that it is heavy. If you're planning on taking if off/on a lot you may want to look at something lighter or at least start with an aluminum cargo tray. I also tried a folding receiver hitch like this, but it introduced too much wobble into the system so I abandoned that idea.

Way late to the thread but have you looked at the Softride Hang 2 and Hang 5 racks?

http://www.softride.com/rack-product...ng2_bike_rack_

Another take on the hitch mount/parallelogram out to access the rear rack. I picked one up last weekend and have been digging it thus far. Holds at the handlebars so you can through a road bike (and assume cruiser) on it no problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27041_-_Hang2_Lifestyle_IMG_8030_medium.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	154394
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Saw the kuat while having hitch installed on the fozzie. It wa compact but not any lighter than my Hollywood racks. Also twice the price

Hollywood is solid and it's all metal and works great. A little assembly but price durability and functionality is spot on. Holds bikes great when I hit train tracks at 50 mph
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)