Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Tahoe is my first choice, the benefits of which Jim S does not need explained. After that I'd give strong consideration to Bend Oregon / Mt. Bachelor. Great single track, brews, golf courses, not too expensive (compared to CA). Told my wife we could move there and get a larger house and property, and she wouldn't have to work anymore (we have three kids)... but nope, she'd rather stay in NorCal.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Are you considering relocating?
    Yeah. When you moved 1 mile from my house the stench has become unbearable.

Maybe Incline Village/Tahoe North Shore)....only ~ 20 miles away from here.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Pinedale, WY! Windriver Range, Green River, proper winter, cool summers, lack of urban distractions.
    More cowbell!!!

Another vote for Bend. I've been thinking about that for the past couple of years but the wife won't budge so long as her parents are still kicking. Other than that, Sandpoint with Schweitzer right there and on the banks of Pend O'Reille which is an incredible lake. Tons of back country, biking, cool town, and not overly crowded or over priced.

I'm moving to the Bend area as soon as I can sell my house north of Spokane. Love it down there.

Cambridge. God I fucking love it there.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Cambridge. God I fucking love it there.
    England?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    England?

Yes. I love the rain, flat land is awesome and cockney drunks stabbing each other over womens' sports is my idea of real entertainment.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Durango.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Hugh Conway Guest
    Yes. I love the rain, flat land is awesome and cockney drunks stabbing each other over womens' sports is my idea of real entertainment.
    sounds like the East Coast Roll Call.

cockney drunks stabbing each other over womens' sports
    You've never been to Cambridge have you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Bend? Seriously? Flat-chelor, no real mountain range (yes, volcanoes, okay), meth, etc. Bend does have breweries, sport climbing (wow, so cool), and some really rad backcountry on Tumalo.

Compare that to options like Chamonix, Bariloche, Aspen/Telluride/Durango, Jackson, Tahoe, and Squamish, and you're telling me you'd pick OREGON!?

Must be the meth.

EDIT: it must ME on the meth b/c I can't read the thread title (US-only). I stick to the general tenor of my main point: why Bend when there are so many other superlative options??
    Last edited by meter-man; 04-15-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Not SoVT. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You've never been to Cambridge have you?

England? FUCK no. I hear the French are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Bend? Seriously? Flat-chelor, no real mountain range (yes, volcanoes, okay), meth, etc. Bend does have breweries, sport climbing (wow, so cool), and some really rad backcountry on Tumalo.

Compare that to options like Chamonix, Bariloche, Aspen/Telluride/Durango, Jackson, Tahoe, and Squamish, and you're telling me you'd pick OREGON!?

Must be the meth.
    must be the meth that makes you think that Chamonix, Bariloche and Squamish are in the US, or didn't you read the thread title?

I do, however, agree that Bachelor and Bend's flat, smooth mtb trails are not that great.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Having a nice plot of land near Glacier, WA would be pretty hard to beat for me. I don't really like sun that much and I hate the heat. YMMV.
    Thought that was just me. I guess the sun sometimes is ok, but at 3pm and 90+ degrees on a clear, dry, day, it's fuckin brutal. Especially if you're on blacktop. Also, a few of the skis areas here face south, or have good parts that face about that direction: Big Sky, Big Mountain, Snowbowl, Disco, probably a few others. Shit, LT can even get crud on a sunny day if it isn't too cold.

In Missoula, there's at least 4 months where we just don't see the sun much, and when it finally comes out, it's like that bit in Portlandia when they go to LA. "OMG, what is that? There's an orb of fire in the sky! Why is it so bright and hot?!"
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Good question! Dilemma of a telecommuter I guess. I guess I'd be looking for
    a. stable snow pack, good touring objectives, good partners
    b. passable ski area
    c. lots of open space for snowmobiling and exploring
    d. not too bro'd out
    e. close to warmer climates

I can't think of anywhere that meets those objectives. Tops on the list would be:
    1. Driggs/Victor with a pass to the Village
    2. Ridgeway with a pass to T-Ride and a dirtbike
    3. Bellingham with a health budget for plane tickets south

But really France

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

Bariloche? It's short with a shitty snow level. mobbed with annoying teenagers. Nice scenery, but....

< shrug > Foggy kinda nailed it with nowhere being perfect in the lower 48 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    But really France
    Hmmm......

Or maybe Bozeman 20 years ago.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I want a house here in Flag and I would love to have cabin in Ophir. Bellingham would be bad ass I think. I don't like the frigid cold of the Rockies any longer. I love skiing but the winters in Wyoming or Montana to me are fucking brutal. Leavenworth is another spot I think I might like.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Good question! Dilemma of a telecommuter I guess. I guess I'd be looking for
    a. stable snow pack, good touring objectives, good partners
    b. passable ski area
    c. lots of open space for snowmobiling and exploring
    d. not too bro'd out
    e. close to warmer climates

But really France
    Yes France, but for the USA see post #2

Eastern Sierra. Bishop to Mammoth is pretty nice. Hours from a big city.... pros and cons with this.

Middle of Nowhere Montana or somewhere in the Alps. Of course a 30 min drive from the chair lift.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Ocean, sand dunes, rivers, lakes, decent resort, bc ski&sled, semi-arid, and a nice hot springs!

Huh?

Personally I like to remain close to civilization and take a few trips each year to different places. I don’t think I live in a ski town the entire year without going nutz.