Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    ^^^Sandpoint is awesome, but you better have a good job lined up before you get there.

Anchorage is pretty goddamn sweet. 3 mountain ranges within a 60 minute drive, more and much bigger mountains with just a short hop in a plane. Lots of areas open to sleds, fishing, hunting. All the amenities of a big city without all the hideous cunts everywhere. Longer ski season that pretty much anywhere else except the high volcanoes in the PNW which you can call PSE (pacific south east) if you live here. Great biking, hiking, and pretty much whatever else you could want to do.

Lots of trash in the spring, and oil douches year round. There's good and bad.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^^Sandpoint is awesome, but you better have a good job lined up before you get there.
    From the OP, I think the criteria was assuming telecommuting. I can do that. The things holding me back are the lack of golf and my wife's parents still living in Spokane. She wants to be close to them due to their age. Also, I don't think she really ever wants to leave Spokane so I would have to really do some talking to convince her to move.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 04-17-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Yeah, but the sad/funny/incredibly annoying part is that he is actually for realz.
    now that's funny.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Canaan valley, WV cuz I already live there and know how sweet it is all year long in the land of milk and honey. It's like Vermont with less pretentiousness, less money and some rednecks
    Highest elevation valley east of the black hills, can snow 7months out of the year, averages 160" snow a year and often more. Summer rarely reaches above the 70s. Tons of whitewater, flat water, climbing, mountain biking, wilderness areas and maybe 600 residents. Day trip distance from DC and Pittsburg bring in some cool people

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Smokin' View Post
    Well, if we’re playing the fantasy land game…
    Telluride. Why? Everything about the place is jaw dropping.
    The average home price of $980K is a bit of a detriment though…
    Might as well dream big. Telluride goes to 11.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Anchorage is pretty goddamn sweet. 3 mountain ranges within a 60 minute drive, more and much bigger mountains with just a short hop in a plane. Lots of areas open to sleds, fishing, hunting. All the amenities of a big city without all the hideous cunts everywhere. Longer ski season that pretty much anywhere else except the high volcanoes in the PNW which you can call PSE (pacific south east) if you live here. Great biking, hiking, and pretty much whatever else you could want to do.

Lots of trash in the spring, and oil douches year round. There's good and bad.

Not sure I would call it a "ski town." Too much christ, not enough
    stuck up, self absorbed, prancer types.
    Plus, there's a fair number of young single attractive women around here these days, though the social retardation meme holds. Could go either way I suppose.

It is pretty cool to be in a place big enough to support a lot of career options where your adventuring options are limited only by your own skill set, imagination, and commitment.

The only thing I learned from this thread is that every ski town's hot spot should be called "the pickle barrel"...

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Up until now I have been pretty content to live about halfway between Tahoe and Mammoth, within easy striking distance of over a dozen resorts, Monitor Pass, Luther Pass, Carson Pass, Ebbetts Pass, Sonora Pass, Tioga Pass, and lots wonderful outdoor areas. However, after hearing from Greg at AlpineZone and Powder Pussy I may need to rethink things. I do have three free ski days at Killington for next season. Should I fly past Utah and Colorado and head east?

^^^ Yes you should. But bring your 95-waisted fatties, 'cause it gets CRAZY deep out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^^ Yes you should. But bring your 95-waisted fatties, 'cause it gets CRAZY deep out there.
    naw mang bring the 138's makes the big 3" dense dumps feel bottomless.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Hi Jim S! May I suggest that instead of overrated, overhyped, overpriced and oversausaged western third of our continent that you "think outside the box" and instead bring your "game" to the northeast, home of the gnarliest snowriding in the USA? I would proffer that all things considered,the northeast is the clear choice. The riding is quite challenging partly due to the variable conditions, and you will find that the conditions are actually more dependable and consistent to anything you will find out west due to the superior snowmaking and the season runs from Halloween to Memorial Day as well.In addition to the superior intellectual urban environments and lifestyles, you will have easy access to great mountain experiences like Killington, Vermont where the snowriding terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") the snow and weather are underrated, and the setting is lush and green! If you can shred here, you can shred ANYWHERE. When you score your first Killington powder day in "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you! There is lift-serviced mountain biking in the summer and the autumn colors are unmacthed anywhere on the planet. Also, the culture is superior, the history is rich and the "Norman Rockwell" factor is prevalent everywhere you turn. The terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere!(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") When you score your first Killington powder day in "Bearclaw Woods", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you!. You will also find that the denizens of whatever community you choose will tend to be more educated and well-rounded, not your typical western cowboy types. You also will have fun pursuing the plethora of hot NYC/NJ and Boston "chicas" in their stretch pants, but I must warn you they are quite feisty and outspoken, unlike the laid-back western gals.
    I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots , TTip-ers, NewSchoolers, Epicureans, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!

I grew up skiing on the East coast. No way would I ever return there. Evah!!!!!!
    Unless it was to have you autograph my skis or introduce me to some hotties.

Tahoe resort skiing on the weekends is getting to be nuts.
    I work afternoons and nights so the days are mine.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post
    Canaan valley, WV cuz I already live there and know how sweet it is all year long in the land of milk and honey. It's like Vermont with less pretentiousness, less money and some rednecks
    Highest elevation valley east of the black hills, can snow 7months out of the year, averages 160" snow a year and often more. Summer rarely reaches above the 70s. Tons of whitewater, flat water, climbing, mountain biking, wilderness areas and maybe 600 residents. Day trip distance from DC and Pittsburg bring in some cool people
    gods country. love it there. but no ocean

rog

Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post
    Canaan valley, WV ... averages 160" snow a year and often more.
    awww, that's cute.

Also, I'd pick Telluride or Durango, but that said I haven't traveled to ski nearly enough locations yet.

When I make my billions you will find me in Aspen in winter and Bandon, OR in summer.

And also, today I learned who's behind the Greg from AZ alias. It really couldn't be anyone other than...

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    awww, that's cute.

Also, I'd pick Telluride or Durango, but that said I haven't traveled to ski nearly enough locations yet.
    aww, isn't that cute: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?cotell

nice example of the insufferable preening here. oh well. maybe y'all can have a carebear stoke thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    aww, isn't that cute: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?cotell

nice example of the insufferable preening here. oh well. maybe y'all can have a carebear stoke thing.
    Telluride often sits in a donut hole but the peaks just above town double those averages.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Telluride often sits in a donut hole but the peaks just above town double those averages.
    And Colorado quintuples the average for transplant assholes per square mile. 160" or 320" both are pretty shitty compared to BC/WA/SEAK if you are into dickswinging over numbers. There's well more than numbers to the experience (well, not if you are a number crunching core bro). Whats your point?

No point. I agree on experience over the numbers, I sort of have to living in Flagstaff. I think we got about 110 this season on the mountain. I had 6 days of powder skiing. Luckily I love mountain biking and sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Most ski towns attract people I'd rather avoid; the stuck up, self absorbed, prancer types.

And most of them would want to avoid me.

And while this is another awesome opportunity for self validation, my current locale has passed its zenith as a ski location: it's too fucking crowded. It's not even a ski town in the conventional sense, although it has a lot of the attributes.

So despite the attraction of being some sn00ty "local" somewhere, I'm thinking being a transient might be better. It keeps me hungry and out of the ski-lipsistic, self satisfied somnambulism of smug.

So I'll just visit.
    Strategy. Live near a ski town vs in one. Lots of opportunities for this in the West.

Squamish is a place I think I could dig.

truckee works for me
    ayuh

Quote Originally Posted by -Devin- View Post
    Strategy. Live near a ski town vs in one. Lots of opportunities for this in the West.
    I can see some benefits, but I'm awfully fond of booting up at home.

We all choice our poison. I live about 8 blocks from the beach on one side and San Diego bay on the other. Needless to say, it is pretty damn nice, but I would love to be able to live in the mountains in the winter. That 6 hour drive to Mammoth is getting really old. I am envious of you guys who live 30 minutes or less from skiing.

Once CA legalizes weed, I think I will buy a home like this: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/79.../17689404_zpid where I can grow a serious cash crop and be an hour from Tahoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

No mention of Leavenworth?

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskis View Post
    No mention of Leavenworth?
    When the zombie horde breaks out, you can hole up here like in the Walking Dead:

http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/lvn/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.