Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Climbing Stoke

More ticks from Lover's Leap (East Crack and Bear's Reach).

The thing about climbing, as someone who started last year at age 40, is that it's so damn humbling. I keep expecting things to get easier and that my trajectory through climbing grades will be steady and linear only to get my ass consistently kicked. It's part of the fun I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    More ticks from Lover's Leap (East Crack and Bear's Reach).

The thing about climbing, as someone who started last year at age 40, is that it's so damn humbling. I keep expecting things to get easier and that my trajectory through climbing grades will be steady and linear only to get my ass consistently kicked. It's part of the fun I suppose.
    Actually it only gets worse. When my limit was 5.12 b/c and I had given 4 burns, I could not do a 5.11c/d as a fun last route of the day. When I started doing 5.13c/d I could do a 5.12d as last route of the day to chill out.

In bouldering it's even worse. V4 and v5 feel pretty much similar but the difference between v9 and v10 is a whole dimension. And I my v14 buddy tells me it only gets worse the higher you go. He can do v13 in a few sessions but needs months for a single v14 that suits him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I climb with a guy that started at 40. He's now 53 and taking down 12+ on trips to Rifle, the Red, Potrero Chico, Vinales, and BC. I don't think he has ever found things to be easy either, but he trains hard and continues to inch toward 5.13. Make the time to get better and not excuses, I guess. Certainly a lesson I should learn if I ever want to get off my v6 plateau.
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

It sucks getting old. It is still possible to do things at a high level, it just takes more time, dedication and commitment, none of which I have. I am content at climbing at a lower level and just enjoy being out for a day moving on the rock. I no longer need to prove anything and leave the posturing and chest thumping to the young bucks.

I would rather ski, run, climb, cycle, et al at a moderate level then to spend all my time trying to do any one of them at a high level.

Keep getting out there F and enjoy the hell out of it, especially with the kids. I just did the Venusian Blind on Temple Crag and had a blast. It was the longest sustained climb I have done. It's only 5.7, but it takes most of the day and is some really nice rock. I felt pretty good, even for an old man. Pics to follow.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot