Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Climbing Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Although my 10 yo is a little afraid of heights, he was more than happy to belay his little brother over the wknd at City of Rocks. Pretty cool to see.

Attachment 332567

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

fuck yeah!! what'd you get on at city?

i love climbing with kids - i started with my dad when i was 11 and it just means the world to me. even if he's scared of heights now (which is a normal, rational fear), those experiences at CoR are gonna be meaningful memories for a really long time.

At the very least they top-roped adolescent!

Mrs and I have climbed at the city with our kids several times per year since they were in the womb. Special place. Was on adolescent two weeks ago with my 10y/o. So much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 'n Steady View Post
    At the very least they top-roped adolescent!

Mrs and I have climbed at the city with our kids several times per year since they were in the womb. Special place. Was on adolescent two weeks ago with my 10y/o. So much fun.
    huh, yeah, it's been so long since i've spent a ton of time up at upper breadloaves. the one line i rly wanna get on up there is INTERCEPTOR, but i'm too much of a ninny for that.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Although my 10 yo is a little afraid of heights, he was more than happy to belay his little brother over the wknd at City of Rocks. Pretty cool to see.

Attachment 332567

Attachment 332568

Attachment 332569

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I realize that he's belaying a smaller kid, but i get nervous seeing a belayer that's not anchored.

When the climber is bigger, it's easy to pull the belayer up. Plus it makes it really hard to escape the belay in case of an accident.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Climbing Stoke

Top-roping, at a popular crag, on a less-than-vertical climb, with >30m of rope out. I don’t know anyone that would anchor the belayer with just the first two of those unless there was an extreme weight difference. Let alone with all of those components in these pics. Objective hazards are so extremely low in this and similar scenarios, and there would be numerous ways to self-rescue in the event lightening strikes.

Do you routinely anchor yourself to the ground when cragging single pitch climbs?

*edit to say: Interceptor looks amazing! Wish I had the fitness.

Some UK eastern grit, Stanage edge (popular end) Pete Whittacre and Hazel Findleys play ground. 1st time out for me since beginning of March. Ticked off some of the real classic easier routes which i'd normally walk by when climbing fit. Had a real good afternoonName:  IMG-20200625-WA0007.jpeg
Views: 2549
Size:  136.5 KBName:  IMG-20200625-WA0006.jpeg
Views: 645
Size:  126.9 KBName:  IMG-20200625-WA0004.jpeg
Views: 582
Size:  116.6 KBName:  IMG-20200625-WA0003.jpeg
Views: 570
Size:  117.4 KBName:  IMG-20200625-WA0002.jpeg
Views: 527
Size:  38.0 KBName:  IMG-20200625-WA0001.jpeg
Views: 587
Size:  137.8 KB

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 'n Steady View Post
    Top-roping, at a popular crag, on a less-than-vertical climb, with >30m of rope out. I don’t know anyone that would anchor the belayer with just the first two of those unless there was an extreme weight difference. Let alone with all of those components in these pics. Objective hazards are so extremely low in this and similar scenarios, and there would be numerous ways to self-rescue in the event lightening strikes.

Do you routinely anchor yourself to the ground when cragging single pitch climbs?

*edit to say: Interceptor looks amazing! Wish I had the fitness.
    No, butt i climb with my wife and she's lighter.

But i was pulled forward a few times when she took a decent fall.

But i always look around to makes sure i can anchor to escape the belay if needed.

And i wasn't commenting on the photo itself, just in general

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post

i love climbing with kids - i started with my dad when i was 11 and it just means the world to me. even if he's scared of heights now (which is a normal, rational fear), those experiences at CoR are gonna be meaningful memories for a really long time.
    we did mystery achievement, adolescent, twighlight, and big time at Castle Rocks. i'd like to say we took it easy as it was my wife's first time lead belaying but after an extended break from climbing when kids were young, I just don't have the mindset for leading anything harder these days. maybe i'll get back there as kids/wife progress but am happy just to be on the rock more now.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I realize that he's belaying a smaller kid, but i get nervous seeing a belayer that's not anchored.

When the climber is bigger, it's easy to pull the belayer up. Plus it makes it really hard to escape the belay in case of an accident.

I agree with you but like SnS said, between the size difference, the nature of the route and rope drag it def wasn't an issue. he did belay my wife one or twice and I was right there holding on to his harness esp on the lowering.

we did mystery achievement, adolescent, twighlight, and big time at Castle Rocks. i'd like to say we took it easy as it was my wife's first time lead belaying but after an extended break from climbing when kids were young, I just don't have the mindset for leading anything harder these days. maybe i'll get back there as kids/wife progress but am happy just to be on the rock more now.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

I agree with you but like SnS said, between the size difference, the nature of the route and rope drag it def wasn't an issue. he did belay my wife one or twice and I was right there holding on to his harness esp on the lowering.

huh, yeah, it's been so long since i've spent a ton of time up at upper breadloaves. the one line i rly wanna get on up there is INTERCEPTOR, but i'm too much of a ninny for that.
    Interceptor gobbles gear, just get on it and bring doubles in #2s through #4s, you'll be on TR the whole time. Tape up though, the fucker has teeth. And make sure not to place a piece close to the lip, the anchor is a ways back on the slab and if the rope gets in the crack it will catch that last piece and push it into oblivion or rotate it and pinch your rope. The fall is super clean, if you absolutely need to place gear make sure it's sitting against a crystal and can't walk... I spent 20 minutes shoulder deep in that thing fishing out a #2 with a couple of nut tools, no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Interceptor gobbles gear, just get on it and bring doubles in #2s through #4s, you'll be on TR the whole time. Tape up though, the fucker has teeth. And make sure not to place a piece close to the lip, the anchor is a ways back on the slab and if the rope gets in the crack it will catch that last piece and push it into oblivion or rotate it and pinch your rope. The fall is super clean, if you absolutely need to place gear make sure it's sitting against a crystal and can't walk... I spent 20 minutes shoulder deep in that thing fishing out a #2 with a couple of nut tools, no fun.
    ha! thanks for the beta, i'll definitely use a hex or some shit at the lip. and yeah, honestly, i have a fighting chance on interceptor right now, but i really want the onsight. same goes for bongeater. i'm running out of mid/hard 10's (aka excuses to not get on interceptor) at city though, so i gotta step up to the plate sooner or later.

ha! thanks for the beta, i'll definitely use a hex or some shit at the lip. and yeah, honestly, i have a fighting chance on interceptor right now, but i really want the onsight. same goes for bongeater. i'm running out of mid/hard 10's (aka excuses to not get on interceptor) at city though, so i gotta step up to the plate sooner or later.
    Have you ventured on the outskirts a bit? There are endless hard 10s that see 0 traffic because they require more walking than the inner city classics and are equally good. Beef Jello and Heartbreaker are good prep for Interceptor, short and steep hand cracks. Tape is your friend on both, lack of traffic means mad amounts of grit...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Have you ventured on the outskirts a bit? There are endless hard 10s that see 0 traffic because they require more walking than the inner city classics and are equally good. Beef Jello and Heartbreaker are good prep for Interceptor, short and steep hand cracks. Tape is your friend on both, lack of traffic means mad amounts of grit...

haven't done beef jello yet (it's on the list), but i have done heartbreaker - that plays to my strengths nicely (small hands). i also haven't done harvest or brown flake, but i consider those to be in a league of their own (and substantially harder/more intimidating than interceptor)

another good day at val david. experimented with top rope soloing so i could practice jamming but spent the time fighting my gear.

still fun on bloody hand:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8857.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	332730

got on jadis as well. in the running for hardest climbs at the time (10c in the early 50’s)

Name:	IMG_8874.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	332731

wood thrush eggs in the cliff, mom came over after i touched the ground.

Name:	IMG_8872.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	332732

a girl on the always fun aiguille:

Name:	IMG_8867.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	332733

climbing is fun

does anyone know a good list of important climbs by difficulty and year besides this?

https://web.archive.org/web/20180617...t/yos/hard.htm
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Climbing Stoke

Name:	IMG_8902.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	333268

one hatched so far. poor little guy didn’t look too well. i am taking my quest to jam better somewhere else for awhile to leave them alone.

i’ve been so obsessed with cracks, i forgot how much i liked face climbing

Name:	IMG_8901.jpg 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	333274

really enjoying spending the last couple
    of days at this cliff.

Name:	IMG_8951.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	333782

Name:	IMG_8952.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	333783

Name:	IMG_9001.jpg 
ID:	334771

almost fist. tough size!

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post

Name:	IMG_9001.jpg 
ID:	334771

almost fist. tough size!
    heh, well done! and decently long too. how do you feel about cams in poured concrete? and did you lower off or downclimb it?

looks like you're placing #3's, which is shit for my small hands too. fucking upside down teacups. i can do them just fine but not my favorite, not by a long shot.

At my college which required a year long thesis, once you defended in front of your committee you got to ring the bell. It was about 3 stories up and I stemmed my way up and beat the shit out of it being the first person to ever graduate in 3 years. The downclimb solo was spicy.

I also had a bunch of a4 5 story pure hooking routes in the brick on campus. Occasionally I would place a shitty rivet in the grout to make other people try them, but it was basically if you can't tread lightly, you break your back. I really in a sick part of me enjoyed setting those at night after a few beers.

Gear list was 2 talons, 1 fish hook, and a nut to cinch the rivet. I was a little ott back then.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

the cams seemed to hold. the concrete is kind of shitty though which is why every highway in montreal has been essentially torn down and rebuilt over the last five years (except this one). We had to down climb to retrieve the gear.

There were quite a few cracks to choose from. this was the most ‘outside’ while being the least visible, at least at this size. and no homeless storage around.

if someone wanted to climb 6’s, there were some great opportunities that have probably never been done, and this thing to a roof crack, to a top out on the highway.

Name:	IMG_9003.jpg 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	334795

Climbing Stoke

buddy showed me his new secret spot. about 25 more lines left to clean.... mostly wide to remind me how much i suck.

Name:	IMG_9031.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	335020

this one was sweet. the ‘granite’ was kind of bleached like a coral. but bullet hard.

Name:	IMG_9026.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	335023

there are some fingers. i can’t wait to throw that log off the top.

Name:	IMG_9032.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	335021

and at least one warmup to pick off

Name:	IMG_9037.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	335022

stopped to tr solo on the way home but some kids gave me a belay. can’t complain.

Name:	serenite.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	335455

hanging out on this slab by a stream and a nice crew. big lake a few minutes up and some big routes in your face. bugs are way down. 10/10, would crag again.

Another day in the "magic wood".
    Some fun technical bleau style arrete.
    7B /V7ish (felt easy).
    Very cool moves. And no one around because it's a non topo sector. (while the main sectors had about 200-300 or more people from all over the world.)
    Name:  IMG-20200726-WA0013.jpeg
Views: 310
Size:  139.3 KBName:  IMG-20200726-WA0012.jpeg
Views: 311
Size:  143.1 KBName:  IMG-20200726-WA0011.jpeg
Views: 331
Size:  138.0 KBName:  IMG-20200726-WA0004.jpeg
Views: 290
Size:  132.6 KB
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

best single pitch of 10a in quebec

Name:	IMG_9165.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	335961

new swimming hole

Name:	IMG_9184.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.51 MB