Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Climbing Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    got to finish up pitch 3 today, here’s someone else coming up after us. what a freaking cool rock!

Attachment 377017
    beautiful, thanks for sharing.

this pitch, while only 5.6 or so, is one of my very favorites in the Wasatch. I feel lucky every time I get to run up it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    beautiful, thanks for sharing.

this pitch, while only 5.6 or so, is one of my very favorites in the Wasatch. I feel lucky every time I get to run up it.

So fun. That makes me really miss climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So fun. That makes me really miss climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Come run up it with me, man

yah man! how about totems btw, i think i like my green the most. it’s always getting placed!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

yah man! how about totems btw, i think i like my green the most. it’s always getting placed!
    Absolutely magic. Like cheating. They turn shitty placements into decent ones and decent placements into bomber gear.

I have doubles in black thru purple and singles in green thru orange. I think I like yellow and blue the most.

Come run up it with me, man

I should....

Its in "laguna la invernada", there`s info for the access on mountain project. the approach is just a 2.6 km kayak straight to the wall so taking a lot of weight there is pretty easy.

what’s the route tgapp? i tried to find it in the green wasatch book, thought it could be ream crack maybe?

what’s the route tgapp? i tried to find it in the green wasatch book, thought it could be ream crack maybe?
    Pentapitch

The first two pitches are (admittedly sandbagged) 5.6 or 5.7, the third is 5.8 (also sandbagged). Great climb.

Pentapitch

The first two pitches are (admittedly sandbagged) 5.6 or 5.7, the third is 5.8 (also sandbagged). Great climb.

Sasquatch was one of my favorite leads in LCC. I had always heard that 5.9+ was the scariest grade in the canyon and I was super pumped to get it. I wonder if I could even climb it second without weighting the rope now.

Sasquatch was one of my favorite leads in LCC. I had always heard that 5.9+ was the scariest grade in the canyon and I was super pumped to get it. I wonder if I could even climb it second without weighting the rope now.
    LCC 5.9+ usually translates to 11- in modern grade, especially for slabs. Cracks tend to be a bit more on point.
    Pentapitch is pretty spot on for the grade.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    LCC 5.9+ usually translates to 11- in modern grade, especially for slabs. Cracks tend to be a bit more on point.
    Pentapitch is pretty spot on for the grade.
    I don't know... I think Sasquatch is a little soft relative to other 9+'s in the Canyon while the first two pitches of Penta are a little sandbagged.

Don't get me wrong - I still thing Sasquatch would be a 10a/b anywhere else, and it's a proud accomplishment no matter how you slice it. I just think that pentapitch itself feels like it has a ton of 5.8 climbing on the first two pitches.

I'll be honest, I was never very in tune to what grade climbs felt like. Sasquatch is definitely my style of climb though, the Coffin was another favorite as that size crack just felt right.

Speaking of slab, my favorite slab lead in LCC is the final link. Crescent Crack > Final Link > The Coffin = is a good day.

I'll be honest, I was never very in tune to what grade climbs felt like. Sasquatch is definitely my style of climb though, the Coffin was another favorite as that size crack just felt right.
    There are only 2 grades anyway: sent and too hard.

Speaking of slab, my favorite slab lead in LCC is the final link. Crescent Crack > Final Link > The Coffin = is a good day.
    Truth. One of the best linkups in the canyon. Love seeing people on the slab, it looks so featureless from below... If I ever get back into it I'll go scare myself on that traverse start to Final Link.
    Last edited by Boissal; 06-15-2021 at 03:39 PM.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

There are only 2 grades anyway: sent and aid.
    FIFY.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Did you ever get on Plumbline? Also a classic right up there with Coffin and Sasquatch.

And 100%, I agree, Crescent Crack > Crescent Crack Direct > Final Link > Coffin is one of the best link ups anywhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2725.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	377246

these old school sixes all seem about as hard as any two-ply 5.10 bolt job from the last decade.

Which book is that?
    I raise you the 1975 description which calls it F6 A1, i.e. 5.6ish with some aid since the original line (Flashdance) goes up the horrendous 11+ thin crack (freed in '66 by George Lowe of course, the 1983 send wasn't the first). Looks like the modern line gets an F8 or F9 so 5.8 or 5.9.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 448
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  48.4 KB

what would that be on the bear scale equivalent?

Did you ever get on Plumbline? Also a classic right up there with Coffin and Sasquatch.

And 100%, I agree, Crescent Crack > Crescent Crack Direct > Final Link > Coffin is one of the best link ups anywhere.

I've climbed Plumbline once, never led it.

I like the spelling of 'Colpit' in that guidebook. Could be a misprint, but it's in there 2x like that.

the ledgy slabs of Q'emlin / AKA Post Falls ID

Name:	DSCN3698.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	377301

Name:	DSCN3704.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	377302
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Which book is that?
    the blue wasatch rock climbs by ellison and smoot, 1984. nice little book, probably a few more than the three ice climbs documented here though.

That rock climbing bear is classic. Reminds me of stories about Yvon Chounard and Royal Robbins, Royal would sail up a pitch and Yvon would have a bigger of of time following it because he was 5' 6" and Royal was 6' 1" or some such numbers.

Loving the stoke, I miss climbing. I am too old to do much, but I love the feel of moving over rock, so even low grade climbs are super fun these days. I had a chance to get back on rock a few times to take my gapers nephew out, but now the little prick is out climbing me by several grades, and going to school in Boulder and living the life.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    . I am too old to do much, but I love the feel of moving over rock, so even low grade climbs are super fun these days.
    this.
    used to get out a bunch w zzz before kids then took an extended hiatus. getting back into it some as the wife/kids are into it but just not enough time to really get better at this point so enjoying the mellow stuff until my youngest starts draggin me up.

outdoor gym continues to provide. after failing to lead vol du nuit i finally worked it out on tr. did some other good stuff too, just fun short routes (the longest routes are about 7 bolts). anyway whatever it lacks in vert was made up for in mileage and my hands are shredded. what a day.
    Thought that limestone looked familiar!

Only been at it for a few years but am loving exploring the different Bow Valley crags. Keep the stoke going!