Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Climbing Stoke

Not bad form, it's pretty well know these days... Some of the most unique features you can climb on, way to get after it!

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    not my cross to bear
    i was curious, looks like some good climbing over there. can you free climb it with ball nuts or microcams or is that crack too narrow? i’m hardly the biggest purist out there but seeing bolts next to a crack always strikes me as odd so i’m just gonna assume it’s really small.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    not my cross to bear
    That's always been one of my favorite route names. Cool pic.

Glad to have finally found this thread. Some great stoke here!

Here's some motivation for myself (and y'all) to get back out more next summer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1221-X2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	369.7 KB 
ID:	217499

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    i was curious, looks like some good climbing over there. can you free climb it with ball nuts or microcams or is that crack too narrow? i’m hardly the biggest purist out there but seeing bolts next to a crack always strikes me as odd so i’m just gonna assume it’s really small.
    It's funny, I thought the same thing a few years back before I got on it. It would take hammering in some beaks or something to "naturally" protect. It's thin, most of the route is nearly pure stemming on smears. Very cool, unique route.

Another from Thailand. This is on Koh Phi Phi, 300 feet over the bay. The route was steep enough to keep us almost completely protected from a downpour through the 3 raps to the base.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Another from Thailand. This is on Koh Phi Phi, 300 feet over the bay. The route was steep enough to keep us almost completely protected from a downpour through the 3 raps to the base.
    Epic!

I know exactly where that is, although I've never climbed in Thailand. In NYE 1999, some friends and I took a boat taxi from that strip on Phi Phi to a party on the beach of Maya Bay. We returned by boat to the spot in your photo the next day in 2000. Anyhow, your photos make me want to return to do some climbing.

Fun! Climbed there in 2005. My buddy married a papaya salad vendor in ao nang back then and despite the language and religious differences hasn’t looked back...

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    !!!!
    Where??

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    !!!!
    Where??
    Forgot the name of that particular wall, but a month or so ago in the south platte, thunder ridge area. Old school mix trad/bolted area (run out!). Gorgeous spot.

50 and sunny in january, it looks like I picked a really good winter to get into climbing

Climbing Project

Hi! I'm brand new to this thread, so I apologize if I'm totally messing up in where I'm posting this.

I'm conducting a research project about mountain/ rock climbing and why people climb (or what makes them stoked to climb), and your help is greatly appreciated!

If you are interested in participating in this research study, please contact me (Mira Cleveland) at
    mira [dot] cleveland [at] umontana [dot] edu for participation instructions.

Thank you all so much in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by mclvlnd View Post
    Hi! I'm brand new to this thread, so I apologize if I'm totally messing up in where I'm posting this.

I'm conducting a research project about mountain/ rock climbing and why people climb (or what makes them stoked to climb), and your help is greatly appreciated!

If you are interested in participating in this research study, please contact me (Mira Cleveland) at
    mira [dot] cleveland [at] umontana [dot] edu for participation instructions.

Thank you all so much in advance!

Have you tried the forums at mountainproject.com and supertopo.com? You'll get a much bigger sample size than from this tiny corner of the internet.

Because it's there?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

"Because it's there, and we're mad!" --Warren Harding

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Glad to have finally found this thread. Some great stoke here!

Here's some motivation for myself (and y'all) to get back out more next summer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1221-X2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	369.7 KB 
ID:	217499
    Would you mind to specify the area and route? Looks awesome and will probably end up on my lofty list of climbing objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    Would you mind to specify the area and route? Looks awesome and will probably end up on my lofty list of climbing objectives.
    California's Sierra Nevada, Bear Creek Spire, NE Ridge. Easy 5th class. TONS of amazing, super high-quality granite in the Sierra!

Add this book to your library, and commence drooling. http://www.supertopo.com/packs/highsierra.html
    sproing!

Hey collective.

I'm looking for a more aggressive shoe for moderate bouldering, 5.10+ sport, and the occasional harder trad climb to compliment my 43.5 Mythos, which are super comfy and great but are tad loose and are definitely not aggressive. Of course, I don't expect my "aggressive shoe" to be as comfortable as my Mythos, but I'd like something that I don't need to immediately tear off as soon as I'm done with a boulder problem or route. Ideally, I could at least wear them for at least 20 minutes at a time when needed. While I'd like a more aggressive shoe, I'm not a particularly good climber and probably don't need the performance bump of ridiculously tight shoes.

I picked up some 43.5 Futuras, but my toes were super crunched to the point where I had to walk on my heels and couldn't comfortably climb in them (toe pressure hurt too much). I wouldn't want to wear them for more than a few minutes. I assume they'll stretch a little, but I don't know how much that'll help. So I'm probably going to return them.

ETA: I'm generally a 11.5, give or take, in street shoes.

What say you, collective? Size up in the Futuras? Otakis? Miura VSs? Skwamas? Instincts? Butora Arcos? Am I being a pussy and do I need to power through the pain of the 43.5s for another few weeks?

meter-man: Let's get out.

Go to climbing shop. Try on shoes. Talk to knowledgeable staff about how much stretch to expect from the various models. I haven't done this is a long while. I expect/hope there are some shops in the Tahoe area that can provide this type of service....

Yeah, yeah, of course that'd be ideal. Unfortunately, I haven't found any shops with great shoe selections and knowledgeable folks locally. The Backcountry comes the closest, but they don't exactly have a great shoe selection. I'd love to go to Eastside Sports in Bishop or the shop in Yosemite, both of which are awesome, but I don't know when that'll happen. Anyhow, it's always good to do some preemptive Internet research first.

I have a pair of Solutions that I like a lot. I wear a 10.5 street shoe and got the Solutions in a 42 (US 9 according to the tag). On the comfort scale I'd give them about a 3 out of 10. I can usually keep them on for a couple problems/attempts, walking around in them is not fun but doable. I haven't worn them in a while but I'd think 20 minutes would be the upper limit on how long I'd like to have them on. Every size chart I've seen online says a 42 should be an 8.5 USM. So I guess the jury is out on what I really ended up with.

I also have a pair of slightly roomier Muiras (non VS) that are pretty beat but work fine for less techy climbs.

FWIW I bought the Solutions slightly used from a consignment shop, they were visually like new but probably a bit broken in so can't speak to the break-in duration/significance.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Yeah, yeah, of course that'd be ideal. Unfortunately, I haven't found any shops with great shoe selections and knowledgeable folks locally. The Backcountry comes the closest, but they don't exactly have a great shoe selection. I'd love to go to Eastside Sports in Bishop or the shop in Yosemite, both of which are awesome, but I don't know when that'll happen. Anyhow, it's always good to do some preemptive Internet research first.
    there ya go, slip the guys at the rubber room ten bucks and you could try on every shoe in existence.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Looking briefly at zappos, you can also use it as a means to try a variety of slippers.

Thanks, guys.