Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Climbing Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    How would climbing mags feel about having a general climbing/hiking/camping/backpacking subforum? Know that's a wide swath of activities, but seems like there's enough people looking to post about each of those activities, but less about each of those activities individually. Been thinking it'd be a good idea, and combine Summits & Hook-ups into one subforum so people don't get confused.
    Yes, and long over due. Summits was never supposed to be a climbing forum. Other then the Mammoth mini, are there any summits anymore?

A "climbing" forum has been requested in the past.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

How would climbing mags feel about having a general climbing/hiking/camping/backpacking subforum? Know that's a wide swath of activities, but seems like there's enough people looking to post about each of those activities, but less about each of those activities individually. Been thinking it'd be a good idea, and combine Summits & Hook-ups into one subforum so people don't get confused.
    Yes! Absolutely. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
    Yes! Absolutely. Thanks.
    Shithead here and I agree on this one

where is bear creek?

Go fuck yourself. Climbing isn't fucking walking corporate whore.

It might be successful. The climbing-only forums out there (supertopo and mountainproject) are insufferable.

If you are going to do a climbing sub forum don't combine it with hiking/camping/backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    It might be successful. The climbing-only forums out there (supertopo and mountainproject) are insufferable.
    I don't even post any photos and trip reports on those two anymore because supertopo old farts don't care unless its about california in the '70's and mountain project nerds don't care unless you are adding to the database. Both places take themselves too seriously.

Create a climbing forum and I'll contribute because the assholes here know how to enjoy themselves and have a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    And you think this group of assholes (myself included) would do any better?

I doubt it, but if Ryan creates the forum, i will show up.

meh, I like the assholes over here compared to over there.
    ST has that passive aggressive asshole quality that is beyond obnoxious, California smug with a heightened sense of superiority.
    MP has that whole " Don't be a JerK" popup every time you post, which suffocates my creativity.
    Summitpost use to be cool but the mods killed that place.

I like my climbing and skiing forums separate. Of course I don't post any stoke on SP just like I don't post any stoke here.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    a passive aggressive asshole quality that is beyond obnoxious, smug with a heightened sense of superiority.
    isn't this the definition of climbing forums?

^^^ well yeah sure but at least here people can call you out if you're too obnoxious where over on ST and MP they act like you're the douche for pointing out their douchyness.

Plus we can have a forum where Benny can't quote a NYT article, Hugh can't google a place to brag about how much he doesn't know about it and Spook can't bitch about why the women are being repressed. They can't bitch if they don't understand the game.

I agree with mud. Overly sensitive, pretentious, passive-aggressive d-bags with no sense of humor is how i would describe the state of the current climbing forums out there.

It seems to work for the tgr fishing forum. I avoid all the other fly fishing forums out there because they take themselves way too seriously but the tgr fishing forum is cool.

Nylon or dyneema?

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post

It's been a long time from climbing for me. This is from my last major route, a run up Crestone Needle with a couple of guys who'd never done a technical 14'er. Miss it.

Here's my postcard photo of bear creek. Certainly one of the best pieces of granite man can find.

Summit is tiny and beautifully exposed. Gives you that first buzz feeling of air under your ass, first beer / cigarette.
    That first pic is everything I love about climbing. Long, exposed, alpine moderates.
    Bear Creek looks a lot like Wind Rivers granite.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    That first pic is everything I love about climbing. Long, exposed, alpine moderates.
    Bear Creek looks a lot like Wind Rivers granite.
    Amen to that. I'd climb 5.6 all day long. I'd say it is a lot like the Wind River. I haven't done much there beside get eaten by mosquitos though.

Favorite granite:

Organ Mountains - New Mexico
    Cochise Stronghold - AZ
    Eastern Sierras - CA
    Quartz Mountain - OK (That's right, Oklahoma. Seriously some of the best, and scariest rock you'll ever climb).
    South Platte - CO

Just about covers all of it I guess short of Squamish, but it was really slimy when I went there.

^^^man there is a ton more amazing granite out there. Glad you did not mention my favorite spots in WA, ID, CA, BC...they're already crowded enough!

On another note, I'm generally opposed to new sub-forums here and am happy with the current climbing stoke. But since Dunfee seems intent on finding a subject he can create a sub-forum around, here are my thoughts:

1) other climbing forums out there right now do kinda suck. I used to hang out at cc.com and ST, but stopped when they both took nosedives, maybe around 2007ish? I think I've decided I generally don't like climbers who don't ski. I would hate for a climbing-centric component of this forum to start sucking as well.

2) a "climbing" sub forum here maybe should be more geared to technical mountain travel (for lack of a better term)? That could include cragging, alpine climbing, ski-mo, etc. I can't see how it would possibly work being lumped in with camping/hiking/backpacking? Those categories maybe look similar to nonclimbers? I do all of those things, but they don't fit together in my mind any more than skiing and camping, or biking and hiking. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    If you are going to do a climbing sub forum don't combine it with hiking/camping/backpacking.
    agreed. it would be better suited paired with mountain biking since that is another summer past time for gravity junkies. the mountain biking forum seems to do okay on its own though and i bet climbing would too.
    one of the big problems (imo) with supertopo is that they won't segregate their forums so it's like if all we had was skiing/snowboarding and all the polyass was right there in it.

back to the stoke. coming back from kirkwood i never noticed this rock until i started climbing. after i started i noticed it every time high up on the west flank of waterhouse peak
    view from the hike in (yesterday). i set up an anchor and planned on soloing it but wasn't happy with a single prusik for protection.

went back today with hutchski and here she is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterhouse-rock-060.jpg 
Views:	635 
Size:	395.9 KB 
ID:	158515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	486.8 KB 
ID:	158516  
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Nylon or dyneema?
    Hahaa exactly. The tech weenie gear queers on climbing forums make this place look normal. You will get 100 pages of debate on a 2 bolt anchor setup.

I look at the gs on MP and it's like people think their broken cams should cost more because of sentimental value. I don't know what it is, I love climbing, climbing photos, and books on climbing.... But climbers on the internet are just the worse.

Maybe this place could succeed in keeping it fun because the arguing and dick waving is pretty unbearable elsewhere (and worse than skiing).
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I haven't climbed in awhile, but I'd like a climbing forum. Kinda ambivalent on combining it with hiking/backpacking - not sure if there's traffic for separate ones, but the sports have little in common much of the time.

Summits and hook up just need to be axed, nobody ever uses them anymore.

I think a climbing forum would be perfect . . . It will be the only forum free of Rawg aka mr brownstone because that stupid jackass is too ADD to climb ... thank goodness. Bring it on. I'll show up.
    Great pics all.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Summits and Hookups are pretty useless, agreed.

Here's a bit of stoke to go with my complaining, a 700 foot slab by a lake in the Adirondacks:

on top of another two-pitcher in the ADK:

Spring in the Gunks:

Hoping to add some fall color soon too.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi