Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
    The kid that I was planning on going up with would have been in a far worse situation had he made the trip.
    So... why would you have thought it was a good idea to go with this other person? While 'green means go' is often used for avalanche hazard, this is a good remind, to everyone, of the fact that there are many more dangers than just avalanche hazard when in the back-country; injuries can happen so many ways. Live and learn, they say.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
    The slab broke off at my feet. No more than a quarter or half inch of re-freeze that was caused by the sun getting caught behind the clouds. And it wasn't much of a slab letting loose, moreso ice breaking under my feet.
    That's what I figured: The crust sheered off, you lost you balance (in part because of a binding releasing), and fell above some serious exposure that could have killed you.

The kid that I was planning on going up with would have been in a far worse situation had he made the trip.
    Then you need better partners. Maybe you have great partners, but couldn't find anyone that day. Please ask yourself if you're willing to let a small slip become a fatal mistake. I occasionally ski solo in avy terrain (when the rating is low). But not above exposure with shitty snow in a relatively remote area. Having a partner would have greatly reduced your chance of dying.

Despite the consistent assholery on this board I've probably skied with 30-40 people I met here. Some of them have become excellent friends and touring partners who have taught me a great deal, and who I trust with my life. If you don't have friends who can keep up with you this is a good place to start. Come to Ullrfest next fall, show off your scars, and start making plans to ski with like minded fools.

Heal fast and get back out there before the snow melts.

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    blah blah blah / armchair QB'ing

glad you're ok. Anyone that hauls themselves out and fixes their own mistakes doesn't deserve to get criticized in my book.
    Until they do it again? Putting others at risk looking for them. Bullshit. At least this kid has the balls to stick it all out there and take the heat. Shit he just might learn something.

In fact, we all might. That's really the point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    I'm not going to speak for the original poster, and it's been awhile so I need JS to point me on aspect, but as I remember 7 the aspect is NW. I think the day he was up there was sunny and the longer in the sun the better for that gully which doesn't get much in the am (like dodges). So I can see why a later start makes sense for that area to corn up and unlock.

Soloing a committed line off Adams even if he planned to ski around the ice bulge at the exit just screams of risky judgment at best - any problem leaves you with almost zero room for error.

Glad you're ok and hope you learn from this.
    Unless the temps, winds or cloud cover prevent it from that sweet corn up. Doesn't sound like much corn was found.

Curious OP, do you ski with a whippet or two? Do you think it would have helped?

Got how deep the slab was but how wide and long?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Max Gosey was also pre-med.
    And Bashir al Assad, Radovan Karadzic, Che Guevara, and Rand Paul are, or were, doctors. What of it?

Rand Paul was a self certified ophthalmologist.

I wouldn't want to go back country skiing with him. Either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

way to get yerself outta there. `nothing wrong with solo under any conditions, many of us go that route often. it's all on you, and you did what you had to do.

rog

Pretty sure the seven is NE. Not that it matters, I just wanna wave my dick that I've skied it, and just about every other line in King.

I'm pretty awesome, huh?
    #HughConwayMatters

Quote Originally Posted by the Cock View Post
    Pretty sure the seven is NE.
    Wrong. Go back in your hen house.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Look again stupid cunt. The 7 is NE.
    #HughConwayMatters

I'm sure lots of us have made little mistakes or had critical issues escalate quickly. I stood on top of dodges a few years ago getting myself mentally prepped to drop in and then caught a buried shark fin on my first turn before it really opens up. I got my ski back around before the fall line really takes over but the rocks below were coming pretty quickly and I was gargling my balls. If I had pulled an ejection things would not have ended well.

It is odd that Jonathan said you run DIN north of 15 and it pulled off that easily? I always went in to those types of zero fall lines cranked to 13-16 DIN thinking I'd tear a knee before I'd lose a ski with the hope that I could ski self arrest or recover. I never dropped a ski so never overly worried about equipment failure.

That line is committing so I am not trying to pass judgment on you. What you do with your life is your choice.

Have you thought about changing your handle to "Fall to the Bottom"? Fucking with you. Heal up.

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    blah blah blah / armchair QB'ing

glad you're ok. Anyone that hauls themselves out and fixes their own mistakes doesn't deserve to get criticized in my book.
    Two different thing. A lesser man might have easily died after the slide, a smarter man might not have been t here in the first place. The criticism and analysis he's received have been gentle and more imnportant -- spot on.

It's good top be young, but better to survive it.

OP -- glad you're going to be OK.

That easter bunny is some scary shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    That easter bunny is some scary shit.
    Freaking me out.
    OP: Good job on the self evac. Learn from it.

Jesus! Ignoring the mistakes you made(falling being one) I'm fucking impressed you crawled back to your car with a fucking dislocated hip!! I had a friend dislocate his hip and he said he could feel himself going into shock as he waited for EMS. Good thing you were wearing your helmet.

So what did we learn class?

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using TGR Forums
    watch out for snakes

don't fall.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    So what did we learn class?

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using TGR Forums
    The east coast contingent on tgr is a bunch of joeys that can't decipher 90 degrees one direction or the other on the compass rose.
    #HughConwayMatters

oooooh the compass rose, oooooh...........

rog

Sorry I've skied up there and know the aspect. I know that hurts your ego Rog.
    #HughConwayMatters

so.... it seems like you never fully clicked into your bindings all the way if you popped out like that? The old snow on the sole trick?

follow up - have you ever had to tell anyone they have eaten too many of the all you can eat bread sticks and can not have any more?

Quote Originally Posted by the Cock View Post
    Sorry I've skied up there and know the aspect. I know that hurts your ego Rog.
    don't worry i was skiing that ravine long before you were. and know the aspect as well. ego well intact

rog

Nah, 4 years ago you were straight up GOS, then you're balls dropped and you ventured into the right side gulls of tuckerman. Maybe you ventured over to the west side in 09 or whatever year it was that it was fat. Someone like you who has the whole Wasatch for the taking and spends his whole season quarter lapping USA bowl doesn't have the balls to go into King ravine. Sorry bud, I call bullshit. You've never been in the King.
    #HughConwayMatters

haha believe what you will

rog