Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    So what did we learn class?

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using TGR Forums
    Be a dumbass in the backcountry and when people offer ways to negate a similar experience from happening again, claim being a pre-med student as your hero card and readily dismiss and defend one's dumbass decisions. Also, post TR and become butthurt when people offer criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by the Cock View Post
    The east coast contingent on tgr is a bunch of joeys that can't decipher 90 degrees one direction or the other on the compass rose.
    Skiers left side does catch some sun in the morning so I'll give you N facing if anything. But NE is pushing the acceptable limits of compass reading.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    Be a dumbass in the backcountry and when people offer ways to negate a similar experience from happening again, claim being a pre-med student as your hero card and readily dismiss and defend one's dumbass decisions. Also, post TR and become butthurt when people offer criticism.
    Not butthurt at all (although the pain is pretty close to that part of my body). As for pre-med being undecided, I've made a clear path choice with genetics and molecular bio (focusing on the synthetic biology aspect of it). Did some pretty nasty CF research last year on lab mice as an in vitro tech (saw way too much mice pussy that summer). MCATs are coming up this summer, and I'm hoping that this fall didn't knock the little physics 2 that I have studied so far out of me, hahahaha.

TR: A fall into King Ravine (Mount Adams, NH)

I think the humility shown by this kid is refreshing. Especially around the massive egos here.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Skiers left side does catch some sun in the morning so I'll give you N facing if anything. But NE is pushing the acceptable limits of compass reading.
    How does it feel to be stupid and wrong?

Attachment 154055
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stupid 2.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	154057  
    Last edited by the Cock; 04-12-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    #HughConwayMatters

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    [...]It is odd that Jonathan said you run DIN north of 15 and it pulled off that easily?[...]
    That was for his SL race skis, not the setup he had in King:

http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15953
    Quote Originally Posted by Me, at T4T
    (Marker Jesters @ 10 toe / 12 heel -- so pretty high up there, although nowhere near his SL race @ 17!)
    As for aspect, setting aside all the ad hominem attacks, I've measured the first section at 20 degrees, so NNE.
    (Scroll down here to the second paragraph after the second numbered list for the link to the latest version of my spreadsheet.)

However, the very top of the line is rather wide, almost like a mini bowl, so, hmm, if he angled in from the east, it might be a little more like NNW, and also steeper there too.
    (I think that is the side where the climber fell to his death last year just before he would have topped out.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

So the top fifty yards of a roughly 1000 foot run might be nnw. Got it. It's a nice day, I'm going outside.
    #HughConwayMatters

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post

As for aspect, setting aside all the ad hominem attacks, I've measured the first section at 20 degrees, so NNE.

However, the very top of the line is rather wide, almost like a mini bowl, so, hmm, if he angled in from the east, it might be a little more like NNW, and also steeper there too.
    (I think that is the side where the climber fell to his death last year just before he would have topped out.)
    Just came in from being outside.
    I think we are all correct. The thing is shaped roughly like a 7 meaning it traverses several aspects. The wider, skiers right side of the upper bowl is where I started from when I skied it. That upper section is NNW. The middle section is N, and the lower section NNE. These directions are grid directions. Compass readings will skew the direction a few degrees NE.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	825 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	154061
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    This statement blows my my mind. And let's be proactive and learn from this... let you learn from this.

"Typically I consume as little food and water as possible while on these hikes, partially to save some in the event of an emergency, and partially to push my body to the limit so I would be familiar with how to work in the event of an emergency."

I get your reasoning but you are only setting yourself from failure if you think keeping yourself dehydrated on a tour will build endurance and strength. That happens BEFORE you decide to take a trip. Seriously. When the body is fatigued, the mind will fatigue. When your mind is fatigued, bad decisions are made.

Try recreating an emergency situation in a safe environment and go for a run on land or on a treadmill on no sleep for 24 hours and no fluids for 12. Compromising your safety in an already compromised and complex world such as backcountry skiing to test your machismo is not the way to go.
    Exercising without eating has many benefits, but exercising dehydrated has none. Glad you're all right. We have all done stupid things, and many of us have gotten spanked for them. Everyone is dumb when they're young, just learn from your folly.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

spook Guest
    yeah, exercising without eating is awesome until you break your hip and have to crawl for 7 hours. he'd be dead on the real mt. adams.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Just came in from being outside.
    I think we are all correct. The thing is shaped roughly like a 7 meaning it traverses several aspects. The wider, skiers right side of the upper bowl is where I started from when I skied it. That upper section is NNW. The middle section is N, and the lower section NNE. These directions are grid directions. Compass readings will skew the direction a few degrees NE.

Views:	825 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	154061
    Just for the sake of argument: your track shows you skiing in a northwest direction, but the ASPECT of the slope is still nne.

And just because I'm a dick on the internet: the middle section is not north facing. The only part of that line not nne is the top 200 feet if you choose to start skiers right, if you ski the thing direct fall line from the top it is nne for its entirety(EDIT: okay maybe one third is N, but nothing is NW). You're staring at Berlin the whole fucking time. Is Berlin not to the Northeast of Randolph? Or is this a case of typical Vermont centrism, a good line in NH must be facing Vt.

The more I look at your picture the more I am confounded. If your not just drawing lines on google earth images to try and prove your point why the fuck would you start the line far lookers left to just traverse more than a third of the vertical gained. And I don't buy that its steeper to the east. The steepest I found in the most boring line King Ravine has to offer, the seven, is climbers right.(blue line in pic below)

Views:	632 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	154071
    Last edited by the Cock; 04-12-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    #HughConwayMatters

Quote Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
    Not butthurt at all (although the pain is pretty close to that part of my body). As for pre-med being undecided, I've made a clear path choice with genetics and molecular bio (focusing on the synthetic biology aspect of it). Did some pretty nasty CF research last year on lab mice as an in vitro tech (saw way too much mice pussy that summer). MCATs are coming up this summer, and I'm hoping that this fall didn't knock the little physics 2 that I have studied so far out of me, hahahaha.
    Glad you made it out and survived to face another day. Very intense and many lessons here.

On another, less serious note, how did you come up with your alias?... Shouldn't it be more like, "Fall To The Bottom"?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

^^see post #39
    #HughConwayMatters

shit dude ... it coulda been me, coz I sure as shit do stupid things solo ...

thanks for posting and heal up soon ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Keep skiing, keep learning, and hopefully you keep on keepin on.............

One problem with highly educated people...they think they are smarter then everyone.

You'll never tell someone with their Dr. anything...about anything. They know it all.

There is no teacher like experience.

Glad to hear your ok, that's rowdy country to take a ride down.

A worker, non RMC i think took an unplanned ride down as well a number of years ago, King is a tricky beast. It can be easy and pretty tremendous skiing and it can be a super technical icy mofo all in 24hrs.

I've spent alot of time in the ECBC and I'm sure I've been 10seconds away from a similar incident, others will deny it but know the same is true for them.

If we can learn from these things, learn about ourselves and our decision making as well then they haven't been in vain.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post
    I've spent alot of time in the ECBC and I'm sure I've been 10seconds away from a similar incident, others will deny it but know the same is true for them.
    That is true. Gotta luv the all the "pro's" advice....nothing like this could ever happen to them.

Glad you're ok kid!

Whoa, gnarly fall, I'm glad your OK. Way to get out of there.
    I go into the backcountry alone all the time.
    Dont let these cyber know it alls bother you.
    Next time though, take it switch to the road.

Great comments so far! However, the best one was posted on the Union Leader website.
    Here it is:

Glad now stupid careless behaviour will be covered under Obamacare. Why aren't you out working? Extreme skiing is not a job

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    ooooooooh! pre-med! one step above "undecided!" 100% chance of being a low-paid nurse's aide based on what we know so far. at least you're on the east coast.
    http://youtu.be/LARx7M9s15w?t=1m50s

Uh, also. What?

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 11.02.06 AM.png 
Views:	1528 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	154234

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    Uh, also. What?

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 11.02.06 AM.png 
Views:	1528 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	154234
    Lots of bear caves up there... You never know.

And it's NH.... Ski free or die.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

DAMN......that's a helluva ride. Glad you're okay to ski another day!
    Old's Cool.

So that's now NH avy etiquette...?

Once in the slide it's one hand on your sunglasses one on your side arm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........