Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fernie BC Mountain Biking in June?

Does anyone know if MTB trails are typically dry in late June in Fernie, BC? Thanks!

You're probably fine. If it's a super wet spring, they might be messy. The high stuff could potentially still have some snow (especially in early June), but I would guess that most of the lower elevation stuff will be good to go.

Fernie is fucking awesome
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Fernie is fucking awesome
    x2. It was your TR from a few years ago that motivated me to go there last fall. It rained most of the time, but it was still sweet.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

should be fine... Good local guide book,

Thanks for all of the replies! Very helpful!

Hey all. Sick of mud season in bozeman and was wondering about current conditions of trails in Fernie. Worth making the trip? Whitefish/Kalispell info would be nice as well. Thanks in advance.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Whitefish / Kalispell is mostly good to go. The higher elevation alpine trails are still under snow, but the low and mid elevation stuff is fine. Haven't been up to Fernie yet this year, but I'm almost certain that they're in the same boat - only the highest stuff will still have snow.

reports on pink bike say Fernie is in prime shape.

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Hey all. Sick of mud season in bozeman and was wondering about current conditions of trails in Fernie. Worth making the trip? Whitefish/Kalispell info would be nice as well. Thanks in advance.
    Just rode Fernie on the weekend, its in awesome shape. hero dirt all around. some locals out skiing high on the resort, but project 9 was clear all the way to the top.

Heading to Fernie for a week starting Friday. What are the must-ride trails?

^^^ Find a good local guide book and/or one of those great waterproof Adventure Maps.

It's been a while since I've ridden in Fernie, but from what I remember there is some great riding up there. Our trip was guided with Fernie Fat Tire Adventures, not sure if Kimmy and Andrew are still around, but they were great and the house we stayed in with them was also awesome.

go talk to Jay/waxman at guides hut in fernie

rides:
    1) Up lazy lizard, lap on P9, up to island lake lodge for lunch and back down
    2) Up hypervent, down southern comfort
    3) Up and lap man cow

and go to happy cow icecream Its SOOO worth it

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions. Can't wait for my trip.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/dirt-diggler/

I've heard good things about the Diggler.

Diggler is rad, and legitimately rowdy.

My fernie favorites, in order:
    Slunt to brokeback
    Verboten
    Project 9
    Hyperventilation to hyperextension
    Big money

Diggler would be on the list, but it's a pain to get up to and kinda in a different category (it's better on a dh bike)

Verboten and p9 are usually hit as 1 ride. Tack on slunt to that if you can handle a lot of vert.

Most of the trails in fernie are good, so there's plenty of other worthwhile stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You cant go wrong in Fernie, if you have low expectations, it will blow your hair back. I was just there in late june, and it was amazing, P9, Big $$, Erics Trip, Red Sonja, and probably everything that has been mentioned. Go explore and enjoy the awesomeness!

Just finishing up my week in Fernie and did a ton of riding. I got quite a few of the longer trails:

Big Money
    Slunt-Brokeback
    Stupid Traverse-Stumpy-P9
    Diggler
    Swine Flu
    Three Kings
    Southern Comfort
    Contra (new machine-built flow trail)

It’s all sweet. I think Big Money was my winner, followed by Slunt-Brokeback and P9 (so fast and tacky!). There’s also Faceshots, a shorter trail that was maybe my favourite section of trail I rode (steep with catch berms so you can fly!)

Diggler on my AM bike was not a problem. It’s steep and rowdy at the top, but nothing where you feel like you’re going to die. The coal chutes are unique.

A week in Fernie is definitely not too long. What a great spot!
    Last edited by D(C); 07-20-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks D(C). I have an anniversary coming up in a few weeks and we are heading to Fernie to ride - one of the initial destinations on our honeymoon 11 years ago. the

We used to go to several times a year and had a good feel for the trails but with kids it has been probably 5 years, so looking forward to seeing what is new!

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Thanks D(C). I have an anniversary coming up in a few weeks and we are heading to Fernie to ride - one of the initial destinations on our honeymoon 11 years ago. the

We used to go to several times a year and had a good feel for the trails but with kids it has been probably 5 years, so looking forward to seeing what is new!

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Nice! Let us know what you end up riding. Fernie is sweet!

My wife is doing a woman’s MTB clinic in Fernie this coming weekend so I’ll be going along to ride. Anyone care to recommend some loops? There is a lot to choose from having never ridden there before. Friday afternoon/evening a nice circuit to ride with the wife not too gnarly or too much climbing.
    Then Saturday a classic circuit for me with some of the must hits. Sunday will be shorter loops before driving home.

Or if anyone local wants to meet up and ride let me know and I would be more than happy to return the favor in Rossland in winter or summer. Beers on me of course.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kanone View Post
    My wife is doing a woman’s MTB clinic in Fernie this coming weekend so I’ll be going along to ride. Anyone care to recommend some loops? There is a lot to choose from having never ridden there before. Friday afternoon/evening a nice circuit to ride with the wife not too gnarly or too much climbing.
    Then Saturday a classic circuit for me with some of the must hits. Sunday will be shorter loops before driving home.

Or if anyone local wants to meet up and ride let me know and I would be more than happy to return the favor in Rossland in winter or summer. Beers on me of course.
    Thanks.
    Swine flu is a good mellower option.

Greatest hits (for me at least) would be up gorby, down verboten, up to project 9, down that, then up stove / mushroom head / lactic ridge, down slunt to brokeback.

The order on ^^^ that doesn't really matter. They're all fun.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Greatest hits (for me at least) would be up gorby, down verboten, up to project 9, down that, then up stove / mushroom head / lactic ridge, down slunt to brokeback.
    I would shoot for that ride on Saturday and see were you stand. You're from BC so you should be use to the steep climbs and may want some more... If so I would head across the Valley and do uprooted to Hyper Ventilation to Hyper extension to roots resurrected. Ridgemont has some fun trails too but its way harder to navigate over there. There are some newer trails I am not super in tune with that the locals can chime in with Im sure.

What are your favorites in Rossland, it may help with recommendations. Pre Covid we (toast and I) would hit Fernie, Rossland, Nelson, Castlegar a couple times a year.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Thanks Toast
    That looks like a great starting point, I’ll go ride that circuit.
    I might do the bike park Sunday morning, after 35 years of mountain biking I’ve never been to a bike park.

waxman owns/operates guides hut. Odds are he can give you some beta