Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander#2 View Post
    I don't know man, you seem to ride the shit out of everything. But again, some people just break the shit out of no matter what. A friend I ride with is perfect example, his shit is always clapped out. We ride the same trails every day and his shit creaks and breaks all the time. Same with skis.
    I don't really break stuff to be honest. I haven't broken a wheel in probably 8 years. There's no question that if you don't feel like checking wheel tension, the lightest/strongest high tech shit out there is a waste of your time and money. That's what actually first got my attention with enves....the build notes for them. Lots of talk about higher tension requirements must be maintained. The fact that they could even recommend having admittedly higher than normal tension while being banged on, much less it was a requirement, seemed like the only way to handle carbon wheels; just don't let them flex. I think that was the deal with the sapim bladed spokes on there. Kinda weird their new ones are specifically designed to flex medially, but whatever.....those aren't the ones I'm talking about.

The only wheels I've ridden in the last 10 years that I haven't built myself are mavic prebuilts, those things come dialed. And I way overtension my aluminum wheels anyway. But I do it with spokes that won't break and rims with eyelets that don't crack easily. So making sure there are good spokes on that stay tight with the enves is something I already understand must be done if they're going to last. I mean they are friggin carbon and I don't fully trust that shit either. I've just seen way too many big dudes pound on them (given....wheelbuilders) that aren't killing them to be scared of them. I can't say that about Reynolds or some of the other prebuilts going around. Certainly not any of that light bicycle or specialized garbage.....

I'm curious how flowtron's were setup and how he broke it. I haven't bought them yet.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 04-10-2014 at 04:23 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

they don't seem THAT light of a wheelset to justify the cost increase, when you can have close to the same weight with several aluminum builds. Just a carbon bling.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

It's not just carbon bling.

Have you ridden a set?

It's like this in corners
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Jayzus that creeps me out.

Hell I'd get them if I were you. I think you should whore yourself to a half price thing or something degrading. Something that really says, eh still worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I don't know anyone personally with derbys (and hence haven't seen them break like everything else) but at the price they are, and as noticeably wider as they are, I wouldn't be the guinea pig. I know it's not a direct correlation with AL rims but the farther apart sidewalls are from one another, the tougher it gets to make a profile as strong as a narrower counterpart. And I'm not someone who just nods when broad general statements about carbon this or that get thrown around. There's a lot of variability in who's selling what.

It took me a long time to be convinced of enve's strength. And right now they're the only carbon rims I'm convinced will last.
    I'm on a new set of Derbys, so far they rip. Taken a couple dings and one hit that tore the sidewall on my Ardent EXO. Not a long test yet but so far so good. They are very stiff and lighter than my Alloy rims, though not as light as Enves. We'll see. His theory though, is the double thick, hookless sidewall is more durable. Most carbon rim failures I've seen have been crushed sidewalls. If you look at Enves's new line, they are all hookless with thick sidewalls, just like Derby but not quite as wide. As far as Derby's width, I don't think it's a detriment and I think traction is a bit better with a wider contact patch. Just my observation. I'l keep everyone posted.

I built them up for about $1K on Hope Pro2 Evos with DT comp DB spokes and brass nipples.

Part of Enve's problem I think is that the amonia in tire sealant corrodes Alloy nipples which can cause them to to fail. They've been experimenting with different compounds and hard anodizing treatments to prevent this. They'll get it figured out I'm sure. Brass is reliable for me though.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

no i have not, because I can't afford to, hence "its bling" statement.
    I am pushing 190 right now so i have concerns about the damage i would inflict upon them.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    If you look at Enves's new line, they are all hookless with thick sidewalls, just like Derby but not quite as wide. As far as Derby's width, I don't think it's a detriment and I think traction is a bit better with a wider contact patch. Just my observation. I'l keep everyone posted.
    Yeah I saw that. This is my favorite line.

Recent advances in tubeless tire technology have made it possible to remove the need for the bead hook on the rim,
    Everybody I know still burps tires occasionally so I don't know what they're talking about. I'm skeerd.

I'm definitely sold on wider, I was one of the idiots bitching about narrow rims 8 years ago. But the wider you go, the more likely you are to stress one sidewall instead of two on an impact. Aluminum dings. Carbon.....yeah. I understand wanting to do hookless rims.

Are you running those derbys tubeless? So far so good?

Quote Originally Posted by Crinkle View Post
    no i have not, because I can't afford to,
    Obviously, you didn't see the tongue. Take another look. Once you understand the tongue, you'll have no choice.

You have any kids? (ones with market value I mean)

i was trying not to look him in the eye, my manhood is threatened.

I am kind of known for breaking things. I try not to buy things or ride things I can't afford to replace. The durability is what scares me. Simple busted a few, he's my neighbor and a smidge more rad-er rider than me, but we have similar riding styles, which is enough to steer me away from them for now.

I need a new bike more than i need new rims, which means i have 2 KIDS FOR SALE! 5 and 8 years old, house broken and generally well behaved and healthy. Do i hear 10 dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Are you running those derbys tubeless? So far so good?................................
    Yeah Man, wouldn't consider running a tube ever again and yeah, so far so good.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

i was trying not to look him in the eye, my manhood is threatened.

I am kind of known for breaking things. I try not to buy things or ride things I can't afford to replace. The durability is what scares me. Simple busted a few, he's my neighbor and a smidge more rad-er rider than me, but we have similar riding styles, which is enough to steer me away from them for now.

I need a new bike more than i need new rims, which means i have 2 KIDS FOR SALE! 5 and 8 years old, house broken and generally well behaved and healthy. Do i hear 10 dollars?
    I definitely hear ya. I don't entirely trust them either. But I've made the horrendous mistake of riding them and now I can't quit thinking about the radness.

Kinda like seeing ryan gosling shirtless.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    $1300 for rebadged derby rims on Taiwanese generics with unspecified POE freehub. Not a great price but helps explain why Derby felt they could increase the price of their Chinese factory direct rims this month.
    My main riding buddy these days is continually killing the IBIS hubs on his HDR, busted an axle last Sunday while riding in Santa Cruz with him, rear hub was replaced less than two month's ago. He rides a shitload, but still... I'd get the Derby's with a better hubs before buying this wheelset from IBIS.

I need a new bike more than i need new rims
    Kinda off topic but still related to Enve rims. I rode the other week with the shop guys from my buddy's shop. One of the younger guys had to tag along on his DH bike and basically pushing the DH bike up most of the climb. He really needs a trail bike...but he has a completely blinged out DH bike with Enve rims. If he had not gone for the Enve bling factor he could have likely shop formed a mid level spec DH bike and trail bike. But kids see the Enve bling and gotta have it.

They actually DO ride better.......

But yeah I'm not going to sit here and say they're worth the cost. Especially not on a dh bike because you probably will break them.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    But kids see the Enve bling and gotta have it.
    So Enve bling=titties?

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    So Enve bling=titties?
    Oh god I hope not.
    If so, we have a more serious problem than materialism with our youth.