Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Chile has a visa waiver with USA as of this year, so no more reciprocity fee for USA citizens! Canucks still pay as Chileans still have have to battle the kafkian Canadian visa system and pay through the nose for the privilege.

Any info on the blue dolar? Is BA best? Is USD much better than euro? What about several people, which adds to big sums? I read that there are semi-legal exchange offices, are they safer than random dudes on the street, which seem like a high scam-risk?

Quote Originally Posted by moridinbg View Post
    Any info on the blue dolar? Is BA best? Is USD much better than euro? What about several people, which adds to big sums? I read that there are semi-legal exchange offices, are they safer than random dudes on the street, which seem like a high scam-risk?
    Not sure where you are headed but I originally was going to stop in BA and catch a later connection to Bariloche to exchange cash but was told by a family friend (born/raised in Arg) not to bother. Told me there are plenty of places to do it in Bariloche with very similar rates to any place in BA.

I will be 2 days in BA anyway, so may just as well do it there.

Quote Originally Posted by moridinbg View Post
    you do not have to exchange in BA, other places work as well. you will most likely get worse rates in small towns and i the south... e.g. last year the rates in esquel were ~20% below the ones in bariloche. bariloche was the same as BA though...
    i would not see big sums helping with the rates, except maybe if you want to exchange on the roads (shady). id recommend the semi-official exchange, where rates might be a bit worse than on the road, but not by much.
    in bariloche, you could go to sudamerica (big exchange place close to plaza de armas). there, you can exchange €, US dollars or chilean pesos, as in other big places. smaller ones and the more shady things will most likely only accept dollars. same goes for small towns and the south.
    in general you should bring only 50 and 100 dollar bills, others will most likely not be accepted. some places also do not accept the notes with the red stamps on them (the stamps which say something like "bank of texas" which are put on the top note of a pile by some us banks).

freak~[&]

Semi-related note - Argentina is about to default... again http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28558121

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    you do not have to exchange in BA, other places work as well. you will most likely get worse rates in small towns and i the south... e.g. last year the rates in esquel were ~20% below the ones in bariloche. bariloche was the same as BA though...
    i would not see big sums helping with the rates, except maybe if you want to exchange on the roads (shady). id recommend the semi-official exchange, where rates might be a bit worse than on the road, but not by much.
    in bariloche, you could go to sudamerica (big exchange place close to plaza de armas). there, you can exchange €, US dollars or chilean pesos, as in other big places. smaller ones and the more shady things will most likely only accept dollars. same goes for small towns and the south.
    in general you should bring only 50 and 100 dollar bills, others will most likely not be accepted. some places also do not accept the notes with the red stamps on them (the stamps which say something like "bank of texas" which are put on the top note of a pile by some us banks).

freak~[&]
    In other words, bring $10,000 in fifties and you will probably be able to spend the next six seasons at Leñas, and eat steak surrounded by babes the rest of the year.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

In Argentina now. Been raining for 2 days in the mountains, and a mudslide just took out the road to our next destination...
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    In Argentina now. Been raining for 2 days in the mountains, and a mudslide just took out the road to our next destination...
    Where specifically?

We are in Villa La Angostura near Cerro Bayo and we were supposed to go to Baguales tonight, but will be in Bariloche instead because of two mudslides on the road.

What are the conditions at Bayo now? How high is the rain? May be will be there in 2 weeks.

Rained approx 140mm since we landed 48 hours ago all the way to 2100M or higher is the report we've gotten. With a tour group so packing up for next destination, not going to get to Cerro Bayo.

you make it to Bariloche? How is it down there?

snowbrains.com has a almost daily condition report as they have someone posted there.

Talked to the SASS guys today, said rain line has been highish but They skied to the base today. Up top is supposed to be rediculous. Nubes rocks are almost entirely covered up and the diving board in Laguna is barely a 7 foot launch now.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee;42 88269
    Talked to the SASS guys today, said rain line has been highish but They skied to the base today. Up top is supposed to be rediculous. Nubes rocks are almost entirely covered up and the diving board in Laguna is barely a 7 foot launch now.
    Skied to the base where? Catedral was bare below Princessa II yesterday and most stuff up high had areas of ice due to the rain event. There is snow up top, but conditions were variable again due to the rain event. We were closed out in Esquel today at La Hoya due to wind. When we left at noon they had gotten 6cm of wet snow at the base and it was still coming down. It rained in town all day so hoping for some good turns tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    Skied to the base where? Catedral was bare below Princessa II yesterday and most stuff up high had areas of ice due to the rain event. There is snow up top, but conditions were variable again due to the rain event.
    This perfectly sums up 90% of conversations about skiing in South America.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Just looked on Andesmar for BA to Las Lenas bus tickets. Both the trip to LL and back to BA showed 29 of the executive class seats and 0 of the suite class seats. That seemed a bit too convenient, so does anyone know if full seat availability is listed online? Also, what's the cancellation policy like if conditions are terrible and I want to go to Bariloche instead/get a refund (and on that note, do I definitely need to book in advance to guarantee a seat on that one Friday night direct bus to LL)?

I land in Bariloche tomorrow and will be there until the 23rd, if any mags are in the area and are interested in meeting up to ride or drink beers, shoot me a PM.

Just noticed this thread.

Yesterday, Bariloche, Argentina Backcountry report: video, photos

http://snowbrains.com/bariloche-arge...-swept-beauty/

I arrived on August 1st and I've had 8 powder days in days here. Mountain has been closed 4 days since Aug. 2nd.
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

9/12-17 touring in Chile or Argentina

Sick Bariloche beta, glad to see some deep snow falling.

Personally, I'm heading to Chile from Sept 6-17. I have some work to knock out Sept 8-11 but then free and planning to ski. I've got the 12-17 open ideally for a longer trip. I toured in the Maule region in mid-September 2011 and had a great time but willing to venture further afield. If anyone would like to set up some touring plans, let's be in touch. I'm willing to cross back into Argentina (I'll be in Buenos Aires from Sept 2-6 also for work).

[x-posted to Ski in Chile thread]

Just did the 24 hours from BA to Bariloche by bus (Via Bariloche)... Not too bad, the seatings in cama/cama ejecutivo are like business/first class in the plane.
    The dollar exchange rate is slightly worse here - $12/100 peso vs $13/100peso in BA.

It rained a bit in town, maybe there is some slight dusting up in the mountain, unless wind....

A friend of mine coming from Frankfurt through Sao Paolo with TAM got his ABS canister detained in Sao Paolo, altough they let him board in FRA with no problems. It was in his checked luggage and they actually got him off the plane in Sao Paolo during the transfer...

Mountain is closed today due high winds, supposed to get warm this week too... Heard from the guys at my hostel that conditions are pretty tracked out and deteriorating

Spring skiing in Portillo. Late spring. I don't know how they will make it to Sept without a huge change in the weather.