Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Fox 36 announced...but few details

27.5?
    26" that will fit?
    Price?
    Real improvements that make this a Pike-crusher?
    True weight (supposedly 1900 grams)
    Who has the link to specs, dammit!

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

switchable 15mm - 20mm axle? no more crappy qr's to secure them?

Those four pinch bolt lowers were the best they ever made, so that's a step in the right direction.
    But i can see creaking issues, especially if someone has a 'double' shim setup

As long as it has Kashima coating it will be superior to the Pike.

New and improved hype. So glad i dumped my 36 for a xfusion vengeance

We have all of the important facts: it has different stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    New and improved hype. So glad i dumped my 36 for a xfusion vengeance
    Well, they did reintroduce two things they had in 2005, the RC2 cartridge, and the pinch bolts.
    so I guess it's 'retro'

What will be worth watching is RS's answer, the 'Super-Pike'

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    and by different -- ORANGE. perfect for Santa Cruz / ENVE color coordination. trailhead envy DOMINANCE, bro!

Hmm, pretty impressive weight for that chassis. Not crazy about the axle shim design. I love my 36 but Gotta say, after a week in So UT and Sedona, I like my Pike better. The 36 'feels' more stout but the ride isn't nearly as nice.

#notasuspensionguru
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

supposedly there is some sort of air bladder to smooth out the stroke or something. I dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    And a massive price increase to justify the new stickers and please shareholders.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    And a massive price increase to justify the new stickers and please shareholders.
    I've got an "inside scoop" into this fork. Yes, it will be better than prior offerings in a "real world" kind of way. For heavier more aggressive riders it could be a much better option than the Pike, which is an incredible fork but prone to binding issues.

If the cards align I should have one soonish...

Will this work for enduro?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Will this work for enduro?
    No. This is for freeride. Fox is bringing it back

Hmmmm....

Was planning on getting my 13' 34 upgraded to 14' internals next week. Any idea if the 2015 bits (damping tune, new seal head) can installed in the 2013 chassis?

/threaddrift

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Hmmmm....

Was planning on getting my 13' 34 upgraded to 14' internals next week. Any idea if the 2015 bits (damping tune, new seal head) can installed in the 2013 chassis?

/threaddrift
    Yes, there is a whole upgrade program available via their website. ALL CTD products are eligible to participate, and they can all be brought right up to 2015 spec, basically. Stanchions, dampers, oil, etc. There is also a factory tuning program available to help you further tweak your suspension, and a re-tune can be carried out at the same time as the upgrade.

Or... you could just get a proper fork to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Hmm, pretty impressive weight for that chassis. Not crazy about the axle shim design. I love my 36 but Gotta say, after a week in So UT and Sedona, I like my Pike better. The 36 'feels' more stout but the ride isn't nearly as nice.

#notasuspensionguru
    Good to hear. I've got a Pike on the way to replace my 34. I do like the bigger diameter lowers but I assume the pike feels plenty stiff. How are the derby's? I want a review ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    I've got an "inside scoop" into this fork. Yes, it will be better than prior offerings in a "real world" kind of way. For heavier more aggressive riders it could be a much better option than the Pike, which is an incredible fork but prone to binding issues.
    So does that really happen or was something wrong with your fork?

I know two guys bigger than you (matt thompson being one of them) that also thought that was a little strange when we read your review. Has anyone else had that happen? I definitely haven't. I'm no ape but I've beat the shit out of mine with pretty reckless abandon. Is it the bushings binding up?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, they did reintroduce two things they had in 2005, the RC2 cartridge, and the pinch bolts.
    so I guess it's 'retro''
    Sweet. Now people will start asking if my 2005 36 RC2 with pinch bolts that I am riding is a new 2015.

I snagged that fork on here for $100 and it's still going strong.

As long as the pinch bolts are the same size wrench as the axle, I got no problem with it. The qrs on my 2013 36 would loosen up a bit over time unless I greased the cams and tightened them to a somewhat uncomfortable level.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    So does that really happen or was something wrong with your fork?

I know two guys bigger than you (matt thompson being one of them) that also thought that was a little strange when we read your review. Has anyone else had that happen? I definitely haven't. I'm no ape but I've beat the shit out of mine with pretty reckless abandon. Is it the bushings binding up?

MT shreds. As I'm sure the other dude who you know who is bigger than me. However, MT is sponsored by SRAM so what did you expect? Not saying he doesn't shoot you straight but take everything with a grain of salt. Including my own review.

Currently, the Pike is THE standard which I'll weigh all other competition against. Its an incredible fork. But yes, I'm not alone when I say I've noticed this binding "problem". That said, the damping, air spring and seal system are so good I'd still take the Pike over anything else I've ridden. Even the (older) 36s I own which have much less bushing bind under load.

If you want to test out what I'm saying, take your bike (with a Pike on it...duhhrrr) and place the front wheel against an object. It can be anything. Car tire. Big Rock. Whatever. Now while loading the front wheel in one direction or the other try cycling the fork. Yup. Its not so smooth is it? Now do the same thing with a 36 or something else. Sure, the bind is still there but is it as bad? In my experience, no.