Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 52
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    MiZZZZoula
    Posts
    3,123
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    In the past I've put nearly 30k miles on a KLR. It's a pig and while it would work for you, there are better smaller lighter options out there. Another vote for the XR400 or DRZ. Don't worry about running knobbies, you will want them when you need them. Even crossover tires suck in the dirt.

    This (I'm sure you could talk them down): http://rockies.craigslist.org/mcy/4406284099.html

    And this is an absolute steal, especially given the luggage: http://rockies.craigslist.org/mcy/4407568984.html

    Minty and in your budget: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4413141827.html
    2nd that.

    I've had a 2006 KLR for a few years. Is my first bike and I love it. It's not a trail machine or great on single tracks, but that all depends on your skillz. But where it will shine is any higher speed highway riding in combo with dirt/logging roads. Cheap too.

    If I could afford another bike, I'd be getting one of these.KTM 690.......a beast! >>> http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4410227321.html

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,487
    Uhhg. Sold my BMW 650 dakar and my KTM 525 exc with a street kit this year. This thread sux because now I'm full of regret. Have fun man. Having had some high end rigs I realized the value of the KLR 650. The best bang for your buck going. Handles like a 250 and you could literally ride it around the world. Can be serviced almost ANYWHERE.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,626
    Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Handles like a 250
    Surrre.

    You are on crack.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,487
    Crack? not me. Just a bit of a hyperbole.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Retardbumville
    Posts
    587
    Super Sherpa.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,626
    Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    Super Sherpa.
    Moped.

    0987654

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,948
    '05 Honda Pilot.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,251
    I know where you can get one cheap (needs minor repair)

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Uptown
    Posts
    6,217
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

    And this is an absolute steal, especially given the luggage: http://rockies.craigslist.org/mcy/4407568984.html
    Damn it. If that's still available Friday morning, it's my new bike.
    Living vicariously through myself.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Uptown
    Posts
    6,217
    Still listed - didn't go look at it due to the weatherz. Debating that or getting a brand new g 650.
    Living vicariously through myself.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,998
    Thanks for all the great info. As I suspected, there is not one bike in my price range that will do everything I dream. Right now, I think I'm going to take my safety course and keep saving my money. Given the choice, I'll probably sacrifice some highway ability for something light that I can hitch rack and take fishing, boating, camping etc.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    RM trench
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Still listed - didn't go look at it due to the weatherz. Debating that or getting a brand new g 650.
    why buy new when that one is such a good deal? Unless something is wrong with it, 13k is fk all, it should last forever.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Uptown
    Posts
    6,217
    Because I like the added suspension of the new Sertao, I can get a brand new one for low 8's and I'd rather have hard cases. If that one is Aspen were closer I would have checked it out, but it's an all day round trip for me. A screaming deal, but I'd like to be certain I'd buy it instead of new before driving 4 hours each way.
    Living vicariously through myself.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    6,303
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Because I like the added suspension of the new Sertao, I can get a brand new one for low 8's and I'd rather have hard cases. If that one is Aspen were closer I would have checked it out, but it's an all day round trip for me. A screaming deal, but I'd like to be certain I'd buy it instead of new before driving 4 hours each way.
    Bring the wife + skis and spend the night. I'll give you the 5 dollar tour gratis.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    220
    I have an older ktm 400 that I bought in 2011 for 1500 bucks. I ride it to work regularly about 23 miles one way to work on a two lane highway at 55ish. So far I added 8000 miles to the dial and it has been reliable and fun. Takes a little maintenance and it has an occasional drip but so do I.

    I know people do it but if you plan to be riding above 50 for long stretches I would not go less than a 400. I geared for higher speed and sacrifice a little low end power. Rode on an older and a newer KLR. It is like a tractor. Great bike for simplicity and reliability but I don't find them that fun to ride. KTM 450exe or a wr450 would be my choice if I were shopping right now. XR400 is a good cheap option but I find their road manners to be a little lacking.

    If you are buying a used bike find one that is already titled to save a lot of hassles. When I plated in Colorado they never even looked at the bike because it already had a street title. I did the abate class at Arapahoe community college it was easy enough. They give you a piece of paper to take to the DMV to get your endorsement. You also need insurance on the road mine is 90 bucks a year.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aspen, Colorado
    Posts
    2,474
    Quote Originally Posted by TacocaT View Post
    I have an older ktm 400 that I bought in 2011 for 1500 bucks. I ride it to work regularly about 23 miles one way to work on a two lane highway at 55ish. So far I added 8000 miles to the dial and it has been reliable and fun. Takes a little maintenance and it has an occasional drip but so do I.

    I know people do it but if you plan to be riding above 50 for long stretches I would not go less than a 400. I geared for higher speed and sacrifice a little low end power. Rode on an older and a newer KLR. It is like a tractor. Great bike for simplicity and reliability but I don't find them that fun to ride. KTM 450exe or a wr450 would be my choice if I were shopping right now. XR400 is a good cheap option but I find their road manners to be a little lacking.

    If you are buying a used bike find one that is already titled to save a lot of hassles. When I plated in Colorado they never even looked at the bike because it already had a street title. I did the abate class at Arapahoe community college it was easy enough. They give you a piece of paper to take to the DMV to get your endorsement. You also need insurance on the road mine is 90 bucks a year.
    My first bike was a 1998 XR400. It was a tough as nails bike, and I kind of regret selling it since you cannot really fuck it up as a loaner. The ergos are kind of odd compared to modern dirt bikes though. Too steep of a head angle. It was a bitch to kickstart after a layover though. Then I bought a 2004 KTM 450 EXC. This is the type of bike you want if you hit dirt more than pavement. I hit 90MPH on the washboarded Taylor Park dirt road, the fastest I ever had it going. I sold it after I wadded a chain into the clutch and had problems from then on.

    I plated my current ride, a 2007 KTM 300 before they cot really strict about plating OHV vehicles. If you can find a previously plated bike (dirtbike) then it is a lot easier to get it on the road. The 300 is not good at sustained highway speeds though, and you have to mix your gas/oil, which is a pain for casual bike riders.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    18* to 45* N
    Posts
    96
    This is a great thread. Thanks for the knowledge. I'm a new/beginner rider looking for a 250-450cc dual sport. You guys have pretty much convinced me I should get something 400 and up so I can comfortably ride on the highways eventually.
    any thoughts on these bikes?
    http://bozeman.craigslist.org/mcy/4419065455.html

    http://bozeman.craigslist.org/mcy/4400856116.html
    Last edited by downvalleytrash; 04-17-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: linked to the same bike twice like a moron...

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    3,466
    Quote Originally Posted by downvalleytrash View Post
    This is a great thread. Thanks for the knowledge. I'm a new/beginner rider looking for a 250-450cc dual sport. You guys have pretty much convinced me I should get something 400 and up so I can comfortably ride on the highways eventually.
    any thoughts on these bikes?
    http://bozeman.craigslist.org/mcy/4419065455.html

    http://bozeman.craigslist.org/mcy/4400856116.html
    If you are a beginner a smaller, lighter bike will have a less painful learning curve for you.
    I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,250
    Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    If you are a beginner a smaller, lighter bike will have a less painful learning curve for you.
    Unless you are a bigger guy and then it will suck.

    You don't have to crash your first bike. In 20 years, I've had close calls but I've never crashed a road bike, and only crashed a dirt bike a few times. In each case, lighter & smaller would not have saved me. There are certain people that should not ride bikes because they will crash any size they ride. If you are a crasher or the kind of guy that checks tire pressures once a year and still think you want a bike, then by all means get the one that's smaller if you think you can get it off your leg easier.

    I will even argue that a smaller bike on the road is more work, they don't track as well and you get blown around by every wind gust and semi truck that passes you.

    And, there's not much difference in size or weight on a 250-450cc (using a WR as an example).

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    6,948
    Suzuki might be my least favorite of the big four brands, but the DR is a good combination of dirt and street capability. XR if riding more dirt, KLR if riding more street, and DR for a good compromise between both.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    220
    I am with timber. If you plan on riding a lot of single track and it is your first bike smaller is probably better. In my opinion most adults who are semi athletic can handle/pickup a 400-450 pretty easily. As long as you are not too short. A lot of that size class can be a little tall. That can be fixed. DRZ is pretty good bike but a buddy says the suspension leaves something to be desired.

    Electric start with a key is definitely a plus if you want to ride around town. For security reasons and for when you inevitably stall at a stop light with a bunch of cars behind you.

    You can learn opinions on every quirk with every daul sport and how to fix them at ADVrider
    http://advrider.com/forums/

    You can also waste a weekend reading trip reports and day dreaming.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    18* to 45* N
    Posts
    96
    Cool. Thanks for the input and info, all.

    I'm thinking I'll be riding mostly around town, dirt roads in the mtns, and the occasional river shuttle.

    I'm pretty sure I can handle the weight of a 400, but I'm 5'9" so it sounds like I'm going to need to sit on some of these bikes to get a feel for the seat height.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,626

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,626

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The best neighborhood in hades
    Posts
    4,574


    Ease of picking up a bike really shouldn't be a concern for anyone. I'm 5'8'' 145 and can life a gold wing off it's side no problem. I'm surprised how many people try to wrench their backs trying to pick a bike up. Not saying anyone here didn't know this already, but if you don't know, now you do.

    For seat height, the BMW F650 GS is quite nice. The Dakar is okay too but has 2 more inches of suspension travel. I can't ride ktm's because of their seat, or at least prefer not to even though I love those machines. the 650 GS still probably should not be purchased for your intentions, though. Don't believe anyone that tries to tell you the Dakar is an off road machine, it's not. Did I take one down the continental divide trail and did it do it? Yes. Was it always fun and never scary? No. The only time I was glad it only had one piston was when we had to go in between some boulders the fish and game or whatever put in front of a bridge to close the "road". Had to build a stupid rock bridge and ride the 1200 GS's over so the opposing boxer motor could get through. Sorry for hijacking.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	207375_526411355362_7296_n-2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	154947
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	199583_526411140792_4129_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	154948
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	196495_526411095882_2305_n-2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	154952
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	199523_526411060952_1089_n-2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	154949
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200499_526411065942_1342_n-2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	154950
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	195971_526411090892_1959_n.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	154951
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	208287_526411110852_2543_n-2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	154953
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	197119_526411235602_8309_n-2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	154954
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	207787_526411240592_8384_n-2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	154955
    Last edited by guroo270; 05-01-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •