Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1224

Thread: East Coast Surf

Had Higgins to ourselves this AM, just three of us on pretty waist-chest peelers. That setup was $$$! I was f'in FLYING with those fins. All the waves I would have done a bottom turn and gotten closed out on, I was making the next section without even thinking about it. And when I'd chop/pump the wave, I could feel I was actually gaining speed. Really blown away what a difference the smaller fins make. Also, brand new 7 mm booties with wool socks was similarly a game changa'.

Having the only fins so far up the board made it a little crazy loose though... it was fine if I could get some speed and some water running past them, but I almost did a 360 once by accident.

Gonna try swapping the fins and knubs front to back, and likely get a smaller 2.5" center fin and dump the knubs and try that. Have a feeling that setup will be the bees knees for the 80% of days it's below head high. Stoked! Seriously -- it was wild how much faster the board was, and fun factor went WAY up.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    And besides, NE surfing is way cooler than anywhere else in the east.
    As a born and bred Florida surfer who lived in the NE for almost 10 years, I concur!

Needs more swell though /entireeastcoast

Check out the Solus fin.

I really like these for smaller, weaker days. Read “summer” out here.

The forward fins are concave on the interior, as opposed to flat. You lose some drive, but they really help generate speed. The trailing fin is a hatchet, reducing drag and loosening things up a bit.

Check out the Solus fin.

I really like these for smaller, weaker days. Read “summer” out here.

The forward fins are concave on the interior, as opposed to flat. You lose some drive, but they really help generate speed. The trailing fin is a hatchet, reducing drag and loosening things up a bit.
    Almost got a pair of Pavel Speed Dialers off a guy on CL. Would have been fun to play with...

Been getting out consistently the past few weeks which has been fun. Best day surprisingly was when it was barely chest high. Been having a good time with my tide chart and making guestimates about how good it'll be and when to hit it. Still only hitting the easy beach breaks but psyched to explore more.

Ran that fin set up above in reverse yesterday, didn't really work out like it did the other way around.

Also, California pros struggle to deal with surfing in NE, and go to the most tourist kook restaurant in Portland: http://www.monsterchildren.com/70972...e-winter-surf/
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

NE forecast for later this week?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    NE forecast for later this week?!?!
    Dude it's looking like Big Wednesday all next week!! 14 feet at 14 seconds!! It'll be fun to watch that come back down to earth over the next few days, but hopefully some points'll be lighting up.

OH YA. I won't be going out if its as big as expected, plus winds. The rips will be bad, and whereas I'm confident in my swimming, Im not ready for this. I'll be excited to watch waves and see breaks I never knew existed. I'll get after it next week when it calms down. Hope it doesn't blow out north of Cape Cod

Will the winds click W before the swell dies down? That would open up a bunch of spots (Docs, Moody Point, Firehouse, Jland) but with strong ENE, it will be much more limited.

Please someone check the north side of the bridge in Neddick Harbor at mid high. Curious if anything gets in there. Surfed it once once at chest high on the log during a Victory at Sea day.

Could be a day worth driving and checking a few spots. Even if only to see what the swell is doing.

Could be a day worth driving and checking a few spots. Even if only to see what the swell is doing.
    That'll be the plan. I'll likely be on Cape Ann getting some grad school work done for most of the weekend, but hoping that Monday-Thursday provides some good dawn and dusk patrol opps.

Please someone check the north side of the bridge in Neddick Harbor at mid high. Curious if anything gets in there. Surfed it once once at chest high on the log during a Victory at Sea day.

Checked out Neddick yesterday, but at low tide. One guy surfing at York town beach, with some sick breaking waves, but the wind looked too strong and he kept getting pulled closer to the harbor mouth, which was flooding out.

Not a chance theres any surfing on Cape Ann today. Massive flooding and most beaches have eroded away to rocks. Waves breaking on rocks and reefs I didn't know existed, and some waves breaking hundreds of yards off shore. The wind is just insane, and I couldn't imagine dealing with that, anywhere. Will do some more recon, but unlikely that I'll be surfing anytime soon with these conditions. I'll post some photos soon.

I'm not home, but it's a junkshow for sure. A lot of sand moving about with this one.

I stand corrected. Banned

spots are working for sure. crunch time for me, hoping to find something this afternoon to excite me.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I stand corrected. Banned
    Ultimately tho, that looks pretty damn stormy. But hey, ya gotta get your juice when it is served.

Not watching this storm, but wondering it is sticks far enough out to sea with the NE fetch. That typical sends good surf to NJ to Hatteras and then again in N Florida. Get a little further out, and the LI wrap can get awesome.

Many years ago I surfed Rockaway during the Halloween Swell (later renamed the Perfect Storm Swell). It was about 15’ faces and perfect off shores, with the swell coming it at a 30 degree angle to shore, making for long point break style waves. Good times.

Got out for a bit this morning Scarborough area on a spot that played nice with the north wind and usually is so small it's not even surfable. Instead was a couple feet overhead. Surreal doing that exhausted after a long month at work.

Got a few including one bomb that felt like surfing with after burners on. After that was having my suit flushed every duck dive and frigid.

Drove down the coast after, freak waves popping up every where. So wild looking seeing these monsters explode on mystery reefs way offshore. Gonna be a wild week!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TGR Forums mobile app

Ultimately tho, that looks pretty damn stormy. But hey, ya gotta get your juice when it is served.

Not watching this storm, but wondering it is sticks far enough out to sea with the NE fetch. That typical sends good surf to NJ to Hatteras and then again in N Florida. Get a little further out, and the LI wrap can get awesome.

Many years ago I surfed Rockaway during the Halloween Swell (later renamed the Perfect Storm Swell). It was about 15’ faces and perfect off shores, with the swell coming it at a 30 degree angle to shore, making for long point break style waves. Good times.
    It's still storm surf out there, but certain aspects are in good shape. http://cinnamonrainbows.com/surf-cam-report

I haven't seen this much road and wall damage in a long time around here. I was out in the perfect storm and I think this one has caused more damage locally. Maybe it is just the seawalls are getting older, so some are failing from the pummelling now. Kind of bummed I wasn't around to see it live.

I was too young for perfect storm, though I grew up in Rockport and I know the damage was bad. But this storm has been prolonged and drawn out, and seems like a few more days of strong winds and bigger surf. I just wanna get out. Any suggestions for high tide spots? Found some surf able junk yesterday near a river but did not go out.

I don't know anything at high tide right now. A road side attraction at low this morning was looking good. Maybe the banned has a high tide spot up in the land of mainiacs, but I don't know of any.

Not Maine, but this is what I was looking for. Nahant going off as good as it gets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3935.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	227085

What I love about New England, if you really get to know your mocks and crannies, you can score those waves that only break twice a decade.

Love it! Surfed a south ish facing river mouth in maine yesterday. Some big slabs breaking as the tide dropped! Stuck to the beach, which was pretty tricky, but worth finally getting out!

My favorite place in the world for surfing!

Via Rog. Ouch

Snow day today. Got out this afternoon, hoping to get some off shore breeze, but should have gone out earlier with the biggest swell and lower tide. Surfed the same river mouth, and had about an hour of really smooth, right ramps into the river. Epic? No. Fun, very.

Yeah, today looks perfect for me...well, with a 20 degree spike in water temp

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Via Rog. Ouch
    Need explanation. Did someone park, and while out for a surf, their car got buried in cobbles? How does that happen? And why is their an avy shovel? Did they use a probe?