Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: East Coast Surf

Surf/swim zones are no biggie, imho. The lifeguards don't even get to their posts until 9am so it's all a surf zone for 4.5 hours in the am and 3.5 hours in the pm. The river is fair game all day long. Most of the better brakes in NH are fair game all day with free parking nearby or along the street.

Windswell builds as i type. should be thigh/stomach+ Monday-Friday. Perfect temps mid 70's and partly cloudy/sunny.

^^^^No biggie until there is a pumping consistent head to over head mid period 'cane swell, you have the day off, and it is reeling off the cobblestone that connects to nubble. For example. Or when short sand comes alive for a few hours after a late July afternoon squall, that just happens to kick up the right amount of northerly chop, that bounces its way in and makes that wedge start to throw some eye high sand pits. And you have not seen any real surf since May. That kind of stuff.

Getting stoked to get back east. What is that water temp looking like? Should I bring a shorty this year?

Wore a 4/3 and 7mm boots all last week if that tells you something. Maybe it'll hit mid 60's by mid August. When do you arrive?

Still looks promising for surf for the next 5 days for spots that do well with sw/s winds. Low tide mornings. Hmmmmmm

I really need to figure out how to go somewhere with my rental. I would be willing to drive all over if my stupid SL2 wasn't so damn tiny. Wrap the board with a towel and duck tape over the top of the doors?

Soft rack? Not sure what a SL2 is, but if that is a car with a flat roof, lay down a towel, place board on top, use tie down straps looped through the car. Don't drive too fast.

Damn that is cold for July. Won't bother with the shorty. I'll be in those parts from July 26th through the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge. View Post
    I really need to figure out how to go somewhere with my rental. I would be willing to drive all over if my stupid SL2 wasn't so damn tiny. Wrap the board with a towel and duck tape over the top of the doors?
    Small sedan? roll up 2 towels to act as pads for roof and get 2 12 or 15' tie down straps. Open doors, strap the board on running the straps inside the car along the roof, then close doors.

How long's the board?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Soft rack? Not sure what a SL2 is, but if that is a car with a flat roof, lay down a towel, place board on top, use tie down straps looped through the car. Don't drive too fast.

Damn that is cold for July. Won't bother with the shorty. I'll be in those parts from July 26th through the 5th.
    I'll be gone the 2nd/3rd, but other than that I should be around.

I usually rent an 8' soft top.

SL2 is an old Saturn, mine is a 2002. Not a flat top sedan. It's a car you've seen all around just wouldn't know it by name. Tie downs was what I was going over, just concerned about the length

I was going to sacrifice my passenger seat once I actually buy a board come fall. Hopefully at CR's midnight madness or when one of their demos go on sale if they are cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge. View Post
    I usually rent an 8' soft top.

SL2 is an old Saturn, mine is a 2002. Not a flat top sedan. It's a car you've seen all around just wouldn't know it by name. Tie downs was what I was going over, just concerned about the length

I was going to sacrifice my passenger seat once I actually buy a board come fall. Hopefully at CR's midnight madness or when one of their demos go on sale if they are cheap
    Soft top? Ditch the towel(s) and keep it simple.

CR will be loaded with deals. Liquid Dreams (Maine) has quite a closeout list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by postnasaldrip View Post
    Salisbury. The one n only. The land of sand sucking punch.
    One of the only places I've ever gotten barreled. I've never of course made it out of any of those damn tubes, but it's sure a rush dropping in and floundering with water flying over your head before getting pounded...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Wore a 4/3 and 7mm boots all last week if that tells you something.
    Are you a chick?

It was freezing the other day, but saturday was toasty warm. Which way is the wind blowing today.

Maybe she's rog.

Where were you out Strawjack? Currents and such. Seems like there has been wind in the gulf which tends to create upwelling. I'm gonna have a few days in Pawtucket as well and hope the sound is toasty. I just want to float around a bit and relax the spine.

I was in the 3/2 I got, and I was toasty as hell. Would stay in the water when it was slow, too hot to be up on the board for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    One of the only places I've ever gotten barreled. I've never of course made it out of any of those damn tubes, but it's sure a rush dropping in and floundering with water flying over your head before getting pounded...
    Salisbury is one of the few places where a chip works (for the average working man) when it's only knee/thigh high.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Are you a chick?

It was freezing the other day, but saturday was toasty warm.
    I didn't surf Saturday. Was tiny out there.

PND is definitely le Rog. who wears a 4/3 during the summer other than rog?!?!

heading to Maine today thru tomorrow. we're looking at surfing anywhere from York to Higgins with Higgs and gooches at the top of list due to swell direction, and hoping the winds stay down
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Maybe she's rog.

Where were you out Strawjack?
    The wall

I didn't surf Saturday. Was tiny out there.
    Yes, I wasn't surfing...teaching the pup to swim

You avoided the chick question I see.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    PND is definitely le Rog. who wears a 4/3 during the summer other than rog?!?!
    More people than you'd think.

heading to Maine today thru tomorrow. we're looking at surfing anywhere from York to Higgins with Higgs and gooches at the top of list due to swell direction, and hoping the winds stay down
    Nothing showing up yet at all. Tomorrow a bust? South end of gooches may be the only good clean spot other than the river, but with a southerly swell direction, may be pretty small. The river will be the place tomorrow if the 5' @ 8/9 with ssw winds and se/sse swell direction holds true. I'll be at the river by 7am, or about 1.5 hours before anyone wakes up.

With slight uptick in swell and period with perfect angle, i'll be headed to the river in 10 minutes with 4/3, boots and maybe even gloves as the water has dipped back down to 55 degrees. ouch.

Yay. At least it's trying to pick up. Surfed the river alone this morning for a good hour till one other "adventurous" soul decided to suit up and wander through the fog to have a look from the only available vantage point, the water. Tide was super low and the bar was working ok. Waist + sets and clean was all. Connected a few fun ones and called it a good morning of exercise. The other guy out was in a 5/4 and pretty happy about it. The few waves i duck dove had me wishing i had my squid lid. Brrrrrrrrr!

Anyone else? The next 2-3 days look like an improvement. I hear thunder

I have to admit, I surfed a 4/3 for many summers since I was too cheap to buy summer and winter suits. Would just leave it open a little bit in the summer to let some water in to cool off them throw on a hooded vest and extremity protection in the winter. Then a coworker sold me a 90s oneill that makes me look like lori petty in Point Break. But at least I'm not wearing a 4/3...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Recycling

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    I have to admit, I surfed a 4/3 for many summers since I was too cheap to buy summer and winter suits. Would just leave it open a little bit in the summer to let some water in to cool off them throw on a hooded vest and extremity protection in the winter. Then a coworker sold me a 90s oneill that makes me look like lori petty in Point Break. But at least I'm not wearing a 4/3...
    Everytime i buy a new 4/3, which is about once a year, my old 4/3 becomes the suit i wear thru summer . I never buy hooded or expensive 4/3's. Once i need more than my squid lid, i'm in my 5/4 winter suit which i replace about once a winter and a half. Works for me and has for many years.

You can cut the sides right out of those wetsuits - they are like tail clips on skins and not needed imo
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Everytime i buy a new 4/3, which is about once a year, my old 4/3 becomes the suit i wear thru summer . I never buy hooded or expensive 4/3's. Once i need more than my squid lid, i'm in my 5/4 winter suit which i replace about once a winter and a half. Works for me and has for many years.
    Sort of the same for me out here. Except my 5/4 is just the good hooded 4/3. Currently a hooded R3. Otherwise I buy a cheap 4-3 every two years. Then it becomes a sunny day summer suit or a SoCal suit. Cause it ain't ever cold down there.

Excellent surf conditions for fun small surf the past few days.

Sort of the same for me out here. Except my 5/4 is just the good hooded 4/3. Currently a hooded R3. Otherwise I buy a cheap 4-3 every two years. Then it becomes a sunny day summer suit or a SoCal suit. Cause it ain't ever cold down there.
    How do you like that R3? Stiff or stretchy?

Excellent surf conditions for fun small surf the past few days.
    Santa Cruz area? I surfed at the river with a shaper from your area a couple weeks ago. His name is Jonathan (insert polish-ish last name here). Good surfer visiting family in Dover NH.

Buoy holding steady at 4+ @ 8 with a 135 angle. Another shortboard morning i reckon. Offshores too, WOOT! Friday looks about the same if not a touch better maybe.