Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: East Coast Surf

NY is mostly beach break, but you do get some reefs and points out at the tip. And block island is a ferry ride away. Some nice sand bottom set ups in Rockaway, Queens. On the subway line in case you want city life.

Maine is way quieter. No so cold until January. Some nice juice at a few winter spots. Plenty rippable. All sorts of waves and set ups. Outside the river mouth, there are rarely crowds.

Neither have the perfect juices barrel of the outer banks, but NY is closer. ME waves can be thicker though, but due to the variety, only some breaks are hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    NY is mostly beach break, but you do get some reefs and points out at the tip. And block island is a ferry ride away. Some nice sand bottom set ups in Rockaway, Queens. On the subway line in case you want city life.

Maine is way quieter. No so cold until January. Some nice juice at a few winter spots. Plenty rippable. All sorts of waves and set ups. Outside the river mouth, there are rarely crowds.

Neither have the perfect juices barrel of the outer banks, but NY is closer. ME waves can be thicker though, but due to the variety, only some breaks are hollow.
    Nice thanks for all the info. I just went to Hatteras/Buxton/Frisco - outer banks last weekend. .. Heavy heavy all time sick good to epic.

Did you hear that Hugh... I said it was freakin all time good to epic heavy heavy stuff

Gooches gets hollow and steep on heavier days
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Gooches gets hollow and steep on heavier days
    Short Sands does as well.

Sort of. Like when you compare Gooches to else were in Maine. Not nearly as snappy as Hatteras. Short sands is all together a different beast. It is the wedge effect that gets that place going. Hatteras actually has a short shelf and canyon fingers in it to focus the juice. I've never seen any beach break in Maine get hollow like Avon, or much of Hatteras. There are two slab reefs I can think off that can get like that, but they are super finicky waves. Don't get me wrong. If I move back east, Maine it would be for sure. But I would travel to NY or NC or even Jersey, to log any kind of real tube time.

Otto, yes it's an egg. I am certainly keeping it forever! Not sure about the other dimensions, I think 27ish at the waist? I am using ski terms, not sure the translation to surf.

Thanks postnasal! I had a good time, it was plenty for me even for a while after you left. Then my way south trying to stay on the coast for as long as I could. The construction on 1A really could finish up before school started, and I would be a happy camper!

Fell asleep on the beach at Jenness and was in an out of the water all day. It didn't suck! Tickets for Endless Summer sold out though, anyone go? How was it?

27 ain't and egg. That's a boat. Is suspect you are in the 22-23 range. Most call it wide point or width. Waist works for me. The coast road from York to kittery is way out there. Ya almost new a skiff to access a lot of those breaks.

BTW, any of y'all know a guy who go by the name Shaggy?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1405949194.854194.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	851.3 KB 
ID:	156870

Coworker and I attempted to surf the Lunch Counter standing wave yesterday here in Jackson but spent all the attempts getting washed downstream into the rapids. Not enough water to make it doable on my thin 5'10", plus jumping off a rock onto your stomach while trying to clear a rapid and quickly paddle sideways into the sweet spot was the farthest experience from dodging Qubexicans at the wall ive ever had. Made me miss waves back home I could actually catch! Still some dudes were slaying it, acid dropping off the rocks and doing Ollie's and cutbacks. Surf wyoming!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

phuck! look at all those boards! that's more than the wall! how'd they get those to wyoming?

Tell that chump walking back to the peak to paddle upstream.

I love the waiting in line for a wave. Do the guys on the rock ever jockey for position.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Tell that chump walking back to the peak to paddle upstream.

I love the waiting in line for a wave. Do the guys on the rock ever jockey for position.
    There was an informal lineup, basically going downstream along the edge of the rocks. Was pretty funny. Would be great if you could do the same at the rocks on a big day... But it was pretty mellow, as only two or three of the guys could stay on the wave for very long.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

So whats the etiquette with a kayaker coming down stream? He pulls into the wave and takes you out with a paddle to the knees? They've gotta have priority in that shit.

PM 'Drip on any etiquette questions
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    So whats the etiquette with a kayaker coming down stream? He pulls into the wave and takes you out with a paddle to the knees? They've gotta have priority in that shit.
    It's more or less impossible to get onto the wave if you're coming from upstream... you just have way too much momentum. Maybe not the case if it's bigger though. The many tourist whitewater rafts get priority, but generally if someone's on the wave when a raft is coming, they'll paddle around it with no issue and go a couple feet to the side - kind of looks sketchy but seems to work for the most part. I'm sure some people on the rafts must be caught so off guard.

Otherwise there were a few kayakers out there earlier, but they generally sit on the rocks in their boat and then jump off.

Anyone ever surfed on Fire Island? Ill be there this weekend for the first time and have no idea where to go. Are there dedicated area or can I surf wherever?

Then must be 22 and 7/8...

I swore I remembered a 7, I cannot seem to find the info on their website, board stock section is down

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    group - me, myself, and I. .
    Don't forget about Titsdeep brahhhh. I'm sure he'll be there.
    Suprised Tits hasn't chimed in and told us all how Nasaldipwad can surf circles around everyone.

Banned again Nasaldip! Laughin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RAWG =

Fire Island: 20 plus years ago. Back then you could surf anywhere, but it is mostly close outs. There is an inlet at the east end that used to have a fairly fun right set up.

Quote Originally Posted by rog'smom View Post
    Banned again Nasaldip! Laughin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The hilarious thing about your son 'drip is that like 6 people knew it was him after like 3 posts. Like the old timer at work used to say, "you can't shave off stupid"
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

{img}http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/track/large/92a10387-85d2-413e-a854-7b5521af93c3.jpg{/img}
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by blu View Post
    Do you even surf? Fuck off inlander.
    Yes - CR West coast every two yrs
    No - mountains are inland yo

Are you the dood who Blu la rawj?

Quote Originally Posted by blu View Post
    So southern southern Cali? That isn't East coast. Quit cunting, cunt.
    Costa Rica Blu! For God sakes get your head on straight.

I am just holding la rawj / drip trolling spot while he thinks of new identity

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1405949194.854194.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	851.3 KB 
ID:	156870

Coworker and I attempted to surf the Lunch Counter standing wave yesterday here in Jackson but spent all the attempts getting washed downstream into the rapids. Not enough water to make it doable on my thin 5'10", plus jumping off a rock onto your stomach while trying to clear a rapid and quickly paddle sideways into the sweet spot was the farthest experience from dodging Qubexicans at the wall ive ever had. Made me miss waves back home I could actually catch! Still some dudes were slaying it, acid dropping off the rocks and doing Ollie's and cutbacks. Surf wyoming!
    Ryan,
    This is seriously awesome. I went to Jackson Hole for my first plane ride ever in March this year to snowboard (epic epic epic epic) - I should've totally investigated this river surfing sooner!!

Did anyone see Tom Curren's 10 pt ride at Jeffrey's Bay last week?

Quote Originally Posted by nc_slater View Post
    Did anyone see Tom Curren's 10 pt ride at Jeffrey's Bay last week?
    Yeah, it was really fucking cool