Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: East Coast Surf

Not I, the two weekends in a row before that I made Sunday trips. Flatter than 6th grade! I am getting too eager

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Arthur comes an goes and not a peep from you right coasters. Did no one get surf?
    Yeah, i thought i see more from the EC southerners. We had one morning of chest and not much of anything on the front or backside.

It was a pretty shitty track. Another 100 miles to the east with a slower speed an it woul have been pretty nice. I recall Gabrielle in September of '89 (I think. A few weeks before Hugo crushed S Carolina). She passes by the cape and then retro graded for two days in te Gulf of Maine. Surfed some of my biggest beach break ever. I was too young to be wise and seek out a reef to make things easier. Good times. Surfed 12 hours on that Saturday. I'm old now. I'm lucky if I can make it through two. Oh well. Next one.

Arthur comes an goes and not a peep from you right coasters. Did no one get surf?
    I did not, was in the middle of CT. Was told Long Beach was really nice for a while.

We got surf. Thursday evening sesh in Maine yielded stomach and even some chest sets. Totally off the radar and was peaky fun and clean. Friday morning, same bat time, same bat channel. More short board love. A touch smaller than Thursday night, but still zippy waist high and going quite long. Saturday was chest/head with some plus sets on the more south facing beaches or breaks that amplify energy

Not a bad run, especially for July. Tomorrow morning is looking promising for right tide/right spot. winds willing. Not nh. Too much south for much to sneak in.

Fingers crossed.........

Feels sorta weird posting 2 in a row, but here goes.

Crossed fingers worked i guess. All that wind coming from the mid atlantic moved lumps of windswell to Maine this morning. The sw winds weren't affecting it in too much of a negative way further south along the beach, and with the full tide the homes and hotels were blocking some of the wind. Sweet. Waist high with a few plus sets here and there with good shape. The common theme was to take off and drop straight, kick it around, step back to stall and let the wave catch up/wall up, then get to work through the inside. The water was bone chilling for july. No boots or gloves was a mistake. The 4/3 helped offset it some, but it was definitely a "surf on stumps" kind of ordeal.

So there's 4 waist high or better surf days in the last 6 days time. July? Good start.

IDK if anyone saw these but some cool pictures from Arthur... First one has more NE/NY/NJ pics.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/fr...URFLINE-SOCIAL

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ar...d-fire_111492/

Where abouts you surfing postnasaldrip. I'll be in Wells in a few weeks. Stoked to get in the water back home.

Mostly south of footbridge. Let me know as the time draws near. Lonely surfing around here.

Got a good session in at the wall in NH this Saturday during the trip home to see family. Thought it'd be a total shitshow but I think the wind and resulting cold water was keeping people from staying out very long. Numbed my feet after an hour or so and wyoming sure as shit doesn't do anything for my paddling game but caught some clean waves and was able to get enough good rides to scratch the itch. As always, seems like other people caught the bigger sets but man there were a couple beauts! Definitely got me pumped on surfing the river out here...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Damn! Wanted to surf sat/sun but was hosting a 4th July party. May have been impossible and rude to leave, but I thought about it

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

A bit far out but fuck it, one can dream. Looks like some southeast fetch building late monday with possible fun waist+ sets and clean for places that work with sw winds. Hmmm, 5 miles north of shorts could be the call with a 7/8am low tide.

5 miles? I know 7 miles, but now I'm curious about 5. Wait. Maybe my measure is from longs. And stopping for a browns on the way.

5 miles? I know 7 miles, but now I'm curious about 5. Wait. Maybe my measure is from longs. And stopping for a browns on the way.
    Could be. My 5 has some crow fly miles thrown in for "good" measure.

I'm liking the buoy readings right now and forecasted west winds for the am...........

Buoy overnight held just enough combined with a swell period increase from 6ish to 8ish with a bit less of an angle to provide some super smooth thigh/waist high peelers this morning. Surfed about 300 yards north of where i was yesterday and the lefts/rights were fun and easy. Soft, but good shape goes a long way.

6 out of 10 for July thus far. If the rest of the month resembles a puddle on a windless day, i'd say we still had a good July.

Tues/Wed still look interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Damn! Wanted to surf sat/sun but was hosting a 4th July party. May have been impossible and rude to leave, but I thought about it

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    Ah shit. It's tough, especially with these tiny windows for summer hurricane swell, you gotta stay nimble! I feel like at best, with an east swell window in NH, you get maybe a day and a half
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Ah shit. It's tough, especially with these tiny windows for summer hurricane swell, you gotta stay nimble! I feel like at best, with an east swell window in NH, you get maybe a day and a half
    The bury gives you another good half day after places like the wall have shown glory. Plus the bury breaks twice as hard oftentimes.

Quote Originally Posted by postnasaldrip View Post
    The bury gives you another good half day after places like the wall have shown glory. Plus the bury breaks twice as hard oftentimes.
    You talking newburyport or some cryptic location?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    You talking newburyport or some cryptic location?
    Salisbury. The one n only. The land of sand sucking punch.

Like the ground beef steak, yah? It kind of reminds me of lagunas is these parts. Except lags has three times the blasting power and is a no go once we get much swell at all. Some years the bars actually build up and you can surf it at OH and, well, those sessions are sick.

So O main beach or Moody is setting this year? Have you looked north of te footbridge. We will be near the point in a house for a week this year and then staying in wells for a few days. I grew up surfing Wells, so that tends to be my go to spot when I head back. But it would be nice to walk to a break in the mornings if there is anything breakin on Moody. We have access so I can't wait to annoy the private beach tools.

Ya power is nice. Makes things less of an effort in general. Plus, around here we need all the power we can get, especially being stuck in thigh-head range for much of the year.

I haven't been north of the river since winter, but things seemed to be well formed and framing nicely between moody and footbridge.

I had fun at the wall yesterday, moved up to angling rights

Today was not so fun. It just wasn't happening and the life guards corralled everyone into one spot for rip current reasons I am guessing

Hugh Conway Guest
    you surf where you get corralled by lifeguards? WTF?

Ah. Life guards. We used to make fun of them at Wells. We used to get yelled at for so many things. They would try to tells is that we had to stay out of the water due to off shore winds. Or because the surf was too big. Or because we didn't have a safety leash and if we lost our board we could drown. I'm pretty sure they just didn't want to stop working on their tans. And when swimmers did find themselves in trouble, it was usually one of us surfers who would perform the save. That was 25 years ago, so maybe things have changed and they have become more professional. But if not, they probably corralled you to keep the swimmers safe from the perceived danger of surfers.

Some days are awesome. Some are not. Keep that angling thing going and aim to set trim 1/3 up the wave face.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    you surf where you get corralled by lifeguards? WTF?
    Kind of semi typical on EC beaches. York has a "surf zone" during mid day hours of summer. No swimmers allowed. No boards outside the zone. Jersey does this too.

The real suck is that there is no consideration to where the best surf is. I can recall surfing York as a kid and seeing a great peak just outside the zone. The wave peeled into the zone, so I paddle over to it. I was about 10 yards north o the zone catching waves and riding them into the zone.

I got quite a chewing out by the head guard about breaking the law and endangering tourist. Thing is, there was not a swimmer within a 100 yards of me. Surf zones blow.