Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: East Coast Surf

Yeah, the 4/3 is way too hot for me in the summer that is why I just use trunks if I go. I run hot also. But my kids surf a lot and they have (now) 3/2, 4/3, and winter suit. Plus we have vest/hood, just a hood, booties and gloves.

CR will have used wet suits but it's obviously a hit or miss. Actually, they'll have a couple of mine this weekend. They also have great deals on used boards. CR is a great shop.

Yeah I really liked the guys there when I went. Plus my understanding is that the Wall is a good beginner beach, and I am not sure how far I'll be able to go with a 9 foot longboard and a 2003 Impreza

Soft rack will get you pretty far.

Your timing sucks.

Best to look for a winter suit on sale Memorial Day and a 3/2 on sale Labor Day.

You may just want to buy a 4/3 in June and search CR for a cheap 3/2 or shorty to get you through the hot days.

Stawjack, while I certainly used to have a 3/2, I got out in a shorty or board shorts every chance I got. As an adult who often only gets to surf for 45 minutes that works fine. When I was a kid, in summer, and a swell was actually running, I would literally put 4 and up to 10 hours in the water per day. Needed the wetsuit for that.

I'll be in Wells last few days of July an the first week in August if anyone wants to surf. I don't care if there is no surf.

There is this one, if you are S or XL. http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page/WW/XX843MF-TM3

That site is not cock full of deals. Keep an eye on theClymb. They sometimes have some worth buying.

But seriously anybody reaping benefits if this East Coast swell today?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Keep an eye on theClymb. They sometimes have some worth buying.
    Spoken for truth. Couple weeks ago picked up a brand new rip curl 4/3 after my old 4/3 is now littered with holes. 320 dollar retail. 49 bucks shipped. Stupid deal. Every time I put on the suit I am going to be smiling just because of that.

Also keep an eye on whiskeymilitia.com. I got a 4/3 rip curl suit there a couple years ago for around 100 bucks. Some good deals online but the negative is you can't try on the suit before you buy it obviously. If you've tried on a certain brand before, you can usually get the same size that fit you regardless of the model although each model will have it's differences.

True, but is not like you are fitting ski boots. A little bit of imperfection in fit won't require a punch. I once wore a suit for two seasons that was an inch too long in the sleeve and leg. It was all I had. Hooded 4/3, so I wore it on our cold days (50f water/45f air), and while the sleeves would have ripples in them, I stayed plenty warm. Not suggesting it, just saying it is not a huge deal.

OTOH, I do like to try them on, get to know my fit. I'm mostly a LS, but can be a M or L. Some suits have fit me better than others, but I never have bothered spends much time trying on suits. I tend to look for one on sale, and if it fits, I get it. If they don't have my size, or I am between sizes, I move on. I am also lucky enough to live a few minutes from a hotline, ripcurl and patagucci outlet.

49dollar 4/3 - holy geez that is a good deal. I have always bought from shops, as they were always nearby, but that is a killer deal.

Pudge, I'd still try to get some money together by next weekend. Or even call the Hampton shops that will be having sales that weekend and see if they do lay away. At least around here the summer bookends tend to offer the best deals.

Ottime, I have plenty of money right now! Buuuuuuuut veneer preorders from ON3P drop tomorrow I have been told, and my veneer Jeff's are getting a tad lonely

All the money I have is going to that pair of sticks I have been waiting on, which is why the first paycheck means the 3/2

CR treats their customers better than most...way better than most. You're better off buying from them as you'll get a good fit and then when your done you can trade back in to them. Same with boards...try it and if you don't like bring it back. That shop has the best vibe anywhere. No bro brah bullshit. Kooks are welcomed and taught the ways. They get that everyone starts as a kook and some like myself stay one!

Can agree with the good words for CR. Never heard anything except positive words about the shop and have had some good experiences when going in myself. Can't attest to anything about trade ins but they do have a lot of used stuff so I'm sure they will take stuff in. Pretty big shop with lots of selection too considering it's in NH.

Picked up a new house board from CR last night. WRV Fernandez funboard 8'2" Rounding out the quiver.

edit-
    some nice small waves to try it out

the shortboarder learning to walk up on the nose
    Last edited by strawjack; 05-27-2014 at 09:06 AM.

waves today. nice shoulder with head high sets with some power.

gotta give my kid props for dawn patrol before school. he is full on addict.

Sweet Strawjack. That is awesome. Such a nice healthy addiction. Just warn him about getting post surf nasal drip on his tests. Teachers hate that.

Heard it had some sizable surf at the river mouth this morning but super funky. Do you know what direction the swell was from?

I think it was coming in east southeast. Light sw wind this AM, but just checked a cam and it's little messy now.

waiting for the next set

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Best-shot---bear-lies-down-in-hammock-jpg.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	155913
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by matoco View Post
    Can agree with the good words for CR. Never heard anything except positive words about the shop and have had some good experiences when going in myself. Can't attest to anything about trade ins but they do have a lot of used stuff so I'm sure they will take stuff in. Pretty big shop with lots of selection too considering it's in NH.
    Worked there for a few summers in high school and Dave, Phil, Ross & company are local legends. That shop is one of the top five-grossing stores for board sales on the entire east coast, which is crazy! Will be tough to get a deal on a summer suit now but if you get it with a board or other stuff they're usually pretty good about giving a deal. I know they used to sell used boards for people on commission, those boards are usually to the right of the board room near the fins, but haven't been there since last summer so not sure what they do. They always have a HUGE Labor Day sale that is awesome for getting deals on stuff. But the nice thing about summer suits is that if you buy a shitty or used 3/2 with holes in it that fits loose, whatever water does seep in is 60 degrees or warmer and not going to kill you. I bought the kookiest 90s-looking 3/2 from a coworker for $80 with super loose ankles but ever though it wasn't super tight, just having a wetsuit on of any kind is enough for me in the summer. Come November it's an entirely different story, but point being you can get away with a shit suit in the summer.

As far as kook spots are concerned , The Wall is good but usually pretty mobbed nowadays with the influx of Quebexicans coming in. Whoever is marketing the six-hour drive to NH to surf our crap waves in Montreal is some kind of genius... Canadians seem to nearly outnumber 'Mericans in the water in NH now, I'm sure thanks to the fact that 93 and 101 dump you right out on the beach. But yeah, The Wall, Jenness and Wallis Sands have some waves that are beginner friendly. The Wall's sandbar shifts a ton from year to year though, so how that place surfs changes all the time. Last year it was all fucked up and only surfed well on a low tide... otherwise the deep spot closer to the beach just sapped the waves dry. Either way, hoping there's just a little bit of something to shred on when I come home for a July 4th visit. Rye Rocks gets the most hype from the hardcore crew but when it's good and not so big you have to deal with paddling out through a bunch of bullshit closeouts, The Wall is my favorite spot in the area.

Just found this on my FB from a wall session years back. A buddy of mine going backside DEEP haha.

"We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

It don't get cold until after Christmas. Throw on a pair of boots, and a 3/2 and a little New England pride will get you through then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Worked there for a few summers in high school
    You must be ok if Crop kept you around for a couple summers.

His quote was one of my most favorite the first time he got off the tram in JH. His big ole smile and eyes wide open, "I could throw a football and hit the parking lot!" Welcome to the village Crop!

The water was stoopid warm in the cove last wkend. Felt like high 60's!

What the fuck happened to this thread. Late June?

Haha I'd assume so. Going home to NH for the 4th and seeing some faint ripples popping up on the Swellinfo forecast. Would love at least one surfable waist-high session at the wall while I'm home!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

"Some people have shallow lives and feel then need to interject. Whatever"

"Why does that idiot keep posting here. Nobody cares."

Laughin!!!! We've been saying the same thing about your douch bag friend RawwwwJ for years.
    RAWG =

That is no way to talk about your son. And who is this "we" ? Is it your band?

Arthur comes an goes and not a peep from you right coasters. Did no one get surf?