Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Not sure anyone's mentioned this but the distance photos really help make the TR. I mean, it'd be a world-class TR regardless but that's a pretty unusual element for something not pro shot.

Dude ... don't insult us. We're all pros.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by monkfish View Post
    the distance photos...
    That's an advantage of having a large group group (10) broken into three smaller groups, spread out on different aspects of a glacial cirque (South Basin the first day, Great Basin the second. We didn't even get into North Basin, let alone all the South facing lines off the Knife Edge and around Abol Slide.). I was lucky to have a window of visibility when ml242 and Cat were descending the Chimney.

The lines I'd most want to ski if I get back up there are:

1) The Chimney, which ml and Cat charged up while we were digging a snow pit (bastards!) and would have been rock hard the second day when only South and East (briefly) facing aspects softened. They skied from below the higher of two ice bulges. I'll have to ski it from the top, which would involve setting up a rappel, in order to one up those son's of bitches.

2) The hanging snowfields above the center of South Basin, visible here on the upper right (looks like a V-shaped cloud over thin, diagonally oriented rocks):

It was accessible via a small diagonal gap in the ice and rock separating it from the open Z-shaped line below, which D-Roc and I skied. This hanging snowfield was never visible the first day, and climbing into it through the frequent wind triggered sluffs would have been terrifying and dangerous. But man, it's a badass line.

3) The long, North facing line off Cathedral Ridge seen here:

This appears particularly steep, probably up close to 50˚ (where as most other lines are low-to-mid 40's at their steepest) where it rolls over near the top, and is about 1200' vert. This went unskied because it was rock hard they day we were in the vicinity.

I kept looking at that line off Cathedral Ridge as we were climbing up Hamlin Ridge-steep and peppery.

Excellent work, gents. There's nothing better than being alone (save a few ski buddies) at Chimney Pond in winter.

Cat and ISBD, lets hit that line when we go back! May you SAY?
    You took too much man, too much, too much

Itinerary: daunting.
    Literary: haunting.
    A world-class TR,
    crack yourself a B-R.

Great seeing you and ML continue the pillage, Great skiing, and can't beat ISBD prose
    Thanks for sharing guys!
    Last edited by thin cover; 04-17-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Very cool.

Attaboy boys!!!!!

That is a sick looking mountain for such a low elevation. Way to get after it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    That is a sick looking mountain for such a low elevation. Way to get after it!
    Low starting elevation compared the Rockies, but still +2300 feet of elevation gain from the chimney (this doesn't include the +2k of gain required from the parking lot)...not much different than Marble from mid-way up the quarry road to the peak of Marble...Although we do get a little more O2...but if something goes wrong it's a loooong way out
    Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and Dodge...

What dates was your group in for? Trying to figure out if we were ahead or behind you (3/20-3/23). We take snow sleds to the Gate House and cut off 10 miles of skinning. Doesn't sound like much, but certainly helps justify packing an extra 12 beers.

We were in after you. We closed BSP down for the winter. Dont think it is that far to the gatehouse maybe 6 miles but still sleds would have been nice. And sure wish we had some. We got a silly price from a local outfitter for $275 per person & gear or something like that. A little steep. Regardless, so worth the effort.

Here's to hoping that at some point soon the access gets easier and that closing date gets moved back a few weeks. Certainly would give George a run for king of corn in the east!

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Here's to hoping that at some point soon the access gets easier and that closing date gets moved back a few weeks. Certainly would give George a run for king of corn in the east!
    They're talking about it. Right now they close for the season just before the season sometimes changes at the earliest up there. They'd like to be flexible if winter persisted, but it's currently a budget/staffing issue.

easier access=bye bye peace and solitude.

rog

unless they plow the road to RB or open it to snow machines, or move the mountain closer to the golden road, access will never get easier...it's still a huge commitment. A commitment that most will never make

wow, glad this was bumped. that's a slog and half! nice TR boys!

Longer season: Yes Easier access: No

Thanks for the complements everyone.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Dont think it is that far to the gatehouse maybe 6 miles but still sleds would have been nice.
    I was thinking round trip as far as mileage goes. I wouldn't advocate for easier access though - the solitude and remoteness definitely make it completely unique for EC.

It is a shame that you can't get access in April. This year especially, considering the snowpack.

Quote Originally Posted by psychonobi View Post

It is a shame that you can't get access in April. This year especially, considering the snowpack.
    You can get in there now for day trips via Abol Bridge up n over and back - 20 miles plus but ya better have lungs n legs like three locals I know that have been in there twice already since they closed. Crushing it!

Too old n slow these days for that. Aaah to be in my twenties again.

Frenis that's very cool to hear that they are thinking of extending the season in the future.

What would help that budget is bumping the rates and adding a second bunkhouse. BSP rangers were awesome!

Will be spending much more time there in coming years and stoked about that.

Special special special place.

...saved this read for a rainy May morning like this, over coffee, to help stoke the ski dreams yet again.

Epic adventure, great TR (photos and words all), very inspiring. This is going on the list for someday's adventure, for sure.

Well played, and way to go guys!!!

Sweet TR -- Way to bring the East Coast Stoke
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Bumping this awesomeness back to the top - got a buddy trying to talk me into this. Trip approach still scares me - strong work by this crew.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man