Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tenkara

Tenkara

Anybody use a Tenkara set-up? this could be this summers rod
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

never tried it but every person I've ever run into on the water using one seems pretty damn frustrated

I was going to but then I decided to take up rollerblading.

Hugh Conway Guest
    old shit in a shiny new paper bag.

In all seriousness it kinda makes sense for small streams and backpacking to stay minimal or for extreme beginners. Zero versatility and it takes the casting fun out of fly fishing. Back when it first started blowing up I was bumming around Japan and every fly shop I popped into scoffed at the whole "resurgence". I'll take a normal rig any day.

hey, i just got my patagonia fishing catalogue too -- we're samies!

no casting? WTF am I supposed to do for hours? It's not like I catch any fish. I would need more beer.

^^^ what snapt said. I really don't think my little 3wt is going to kill me in a backpack (the half gallon of whiskey is another story). And way more versatile and fun then that Huck Finn stick. My friend bought one. Used it for about 3 hours, threw it back in his truck and said, "Well that was fucking stupid."

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    In all seriousness it kinda makes sense for small streams and backpacking to stay minimal or for extreme beginners. Zero versatility and it takes the casting fun out of fly fishing. Back when it first started blowing up I was bumming around Japan and every fly shop I popped into scoffed at the whole "resurgence". I'll take a normal rig any day.
    I guess most people don't start fishing with a cane pole and bobber anymore? didn't take long fishing with that to see the limitations. even on a lake with tons of stupid sunnies. A folding graphite rod doesn't change that and fly gear is pretty lightweight as it is.

but I'm sure Patagonia'll shift a ton. And there'll be a special on them in the fall.

I have to admit I just looked up tenkara as I have never heard of it - looks to be just a rod without a reel? Wouldn't this be frustrating as all hell?

I was at a local outdoor show and noticed a Tenkara demonstration going on. I took one step towards it, then was like " I'm not gay!" and went to the beer garden.

I have one. It's good for small stream (sometimes) and pocket-water fishing. Otherwise I stick to the western gear.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsugar View Post
    I have one. It's good for small stream (sometimes) and pocket-water fishing. Otherwise I stick to the western gear.
    Is it supposed to be quicker to access or more precise or what - or is it just easier to fit in a man purse?

Quote Originally Posted by nc_slater View Post
    Is it supposed to be quicker to access or more precise or what - or is it just easier to fit in a murse?
    FIFY

I don't know what it's supposed to be, really. It just works better in certain situations. You can get some long drifts in weird places that are a lot harder to get with a "normal" fly rod. I think it's got a place in a quiver. A lot of guys prefer it to western flyfishing because of the simplicity, but I just think it's another tool.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    FIFY
    haha. I might go buy a super small lightweight children's bass rod and put some fly line threw it and BAM tenkara baby.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    definately a quiver rod
    for those who think
    screaming drag and into the backing fish
    are overated
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

It's my grab n go car rod for the super small creeks around my house, but that's about it. I've been known to fuck around w it on Mtn bike rides as well.

Tenkara: Japanese for "fly fishing for D bag hipsters?"

Seriously reels weigh nothing
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Tenkara: Japanese for "fly fishing for D bag hipsters?"

Seriously reels weigh nothing
    Haaaa true that. Actually, using my 2 weight in tiny brooks is basically tenkara IMHO. I never really cast it….more like little tiny rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I was going to but then I decided to take up rollerblading.
    I owe you a beer for the laugh you just provided
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

I'm a player in the tenkara game for 10 dollars.

I feel like with a name like tenkara and being all eastern it should be made of bamboo or something classic

Is this like the tele skiing of fishing?

I thought fly fishing was the tele skiing of fishing.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"