Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tenkara

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Is this like the tele skiing of fishing?
    teleboarding

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    never tried it but every person I've ever run into on the water using one seems pretty damn frustrated
    ...and quite a few seem to come from the I caught more than you did - camp.....at age 28.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Is this like the tele skiing of fishing?
    "The lesson we learn from fishing with a tenkara rod is that we shouldn't fear that a simpler life will be an impoverished life. Rather, simplicity leads to a richer and more satisfying way of fishing - and more importantly, living"
    -Yvon Chouinard

Digging the tenkara rod on the lake, not so much on the river.

Patagonia has kits for sale with tenkara rod, simple fly fishing book, fly box, flies etc. Makes for a nice gift for someone getting into fishing..

Hugh Conway Guest
    I've met bums on the corner who have more dignity. you killin' it bro!

Tenkara

Yeah, bumping this ol thread.
    Did a short hike on a small Blue Ridge creek yesterday. Took my wife and kid and strapped my rods to my daypack.
    Being with an impatient 6yo, by the time we got to where we were going, I didn't feel it was even worth stringing up my 3wt. I knew w wouldn't have been there very long. Ended up seeing a couple of guys hiking down, one had a tenkara rod hanging from his vest.
    I have to say, that looked appealing.
    2yrs later, has anyone bought one of these silly things? I'd want the real compact one that Tenkararodco sells, but I'm not sure I like the $250 price tag.
    Last edited by KenJongIll; 04-18-2016 at 06:20 PM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i'm still gonna pass on hipster neckbeard fishing for palm of handers
    and pursue n pray for being taken deep into the backing for takes both handers
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Dude, have you gotten yerself a RexFly yet?

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    "The lesson we learn from fishing with a tenkara rod is that we shouldn't fear that a simpler life will be an impoverished life. Rather, simplicity leads to a richer and more satisfying way of fishing - and more importantly, living"
    -Yvon Chouinard

Digging the tenkara rod on the lake, not so much on the river.

Patagonia has kits for sale with tenkara rod, simple fly fishing book, fly box, flies etc. Makes for a nice gift for someone getting into fishing..
    bwwwaaahh misssed this
    fuck you your spam and yvon
    wwld
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Dude, have you gotten yerself a RexFly yet?
    i try not to diss n that bro cause he shows up at a the project healing waters outings and is a real good instructor
    fontenelle or big piney green 4/20?

Tenkara

I assure you, there are no fish in this small Blue Ridge mtn stream that would take you to the backing. One of the guys I spoke to had caught a 7-8" bow. And that's a trophy on this kind of water.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1461025738.405019.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  123.8 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1461025750.414274.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  134.4 KB

theres a cool film where the scott bro goes to grasshopper tenkara training from the master
    and refuses to heed the master wisdom regarding the red cap
    probably cause it throws a faster loop
    for $250 better come with a designer flat brim hat

I am kind of amazed that I hadn't posted a snarky comment in this thread.

Here it comes:

Fucking. Gay.

Sig line. Not here, but over there. Thanks.

i try not to diss n that bro cause he shows up at a the project healing waters outings and is a real good instructor
    fontenelle or big piney green 4/20?
    He's a good dude and takes the funny business about the Chesty in stride. Does good shit for HW.
    Flying off to Brolouder for work tomorrow so no 4/20 fish for me.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Haaaa true that. Actually, using my 2 weight in tiny brooks is basically tenkara IMHO. I never really cast it….more like little tiny rolls.
    Tenkara actually can be used for most types of casts, but on streams the real advantage is the line control, relative to western gear. Sort of like tight line nymphing for all sorts of flies. But if you aren't on a small brook, in many cases people are going to want to get away from the rods labelled Tenkara rods. They are a disadvantage on lakes.

you want a tenkara? just only let out 10' of line on your 3wt, you're tenkara fishing!

This is just people trying to be different.

seems so dumb and limiting. I guess it gets points for being compact? although it is pretty easy to put even a 4-piece, 10' rod tube in a backpack.
    believe me its real.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoop View Post
    you want a tenkara? just only let out 10' of line on your 3wt, you're tenkara fishing!

seems so dumb and limiting. I guess it gets points for being compact? although it is pretty easy to put even a 4-piece, 10' rod tube in a backpack.
    Pretty much true. But, a 14.5' nymphing rod can be very nice.

Sounds like the same marketplace for people that will spend $1200 on a paddleboard....when they can find an old large volume sailboard on Craigslist for $35.

my first reaction to Tenkara is SO WHAT? but I tend to give Yvon the benefit of the doubt re his experience.....though still no interest in plopping down the mild $ for Tenkara.......Yo, Chet

I have a very small spring fed creek in my backyard. Always cold, usually clear. There are 2 pools in the backyard beat that hold fish.

I can see keeping a rod strung up for when the urge to give a fish a workout strikes.

I have an old St Croix 4wt 8' that I bought at a garage sale for 15 bucks. I changed out lines on another reel this spring and took the last 24' from it and ran it through the guides and tied it off on the reel seat.

Tenkara!!!!!!!!

That creek runs for a half mile or more up to the spring. There are some deep cuts and lots of thick brush. All Brownies, there could be a monster in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoop View Post

I use one, mainly on trips where we're doing 20+ mile days in the alpine. Ounces matter on those trips.

I have one too. Fun every once in awhile to mix it up and I gotta say it's enjoyable to hook a fish on it. Perfect to throw in a backpack for hiking into high mtn lakes or streams, equally as practical for lashing to a bike on a bikepacking trip. I plan on fishing with my GF on a road trip this summer. She's never fly fished before and I think she'll have fun learning w/ Tenkara. I reckon it's the same for others new to fishing and especially kids.

Pros:
    -Light, compact (perfect for hiking, bikepacking)
    -Fun to catch fish
    -Simple
    -Good for small-medium streams, ponds

Cons
    -For being simple, I've gotten the line pretty tangled especially scrambling on rocks
    -Not so great for very small streams and tight brush areas like they advertise (at least w/ a fly rod you can reel in the line when moving)
    -Obviously not great for yuge waters
    -looks lame
    -advertised tenkara rods are expensive

My take: Worth the money as a quiver rod if you can buy used or get a good discount.

Fall protein stocking time is here for the fish, time for the 20' for line control.

Tenkara

Tenkara is just waaaay to niche a thing to make any sense at all. This from a guy who owns 8? rods.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Tenkara is just waaaay to niche a thing to make any sense at all. This from a guy who owns 8? rods.
    And how many skis? Poles? Boots?

Tenkara has a place. It's a also realy fucking cheap. I have a total of $150 into my Tenkara rod and line. When it comes to a quiver full of fly rods, reels and lines, that's a rounding error.

A lot of times I travel or hike for reasons other than fishing. Sure, on those occasions I could grab the 7.5 foot, 4 piece, for 3 wt, a reel, 3 spools of tippet and a flybox. That would work just fine. But the tenkara, its line, one spool of tippet (either 4x or 5x depending on the stream) and an altoids tin of flies is even smaller.

It also just fishes differently. The line is just mono, and it stays mostly off the water. It's not just a telescoping rod with no guides, it's a different method of presenting the fly, and it's a superior method if all you will be doing is working small pocket water. It's easier to keep the mono line and 2' of tippet off the water than it is to do the same with 5' of fly line and 5' of leader and 2' of tippet. For running dries over riffles it's also really good. The system starts to fall part as soon as you're trying to do longer drifts in runs, and it's completely useless if you're trying ot reach out more than 20'. But up to that point, it's fun, easy, cheap, and ultra light.

And landing even a medium sized fish on one of these is kind of fun. Those Blue Ridge streams (I remember those from growing up back east) are a perfect place for tenkara, but so is any small headwaters stream in the west.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR