Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Tenkara

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I go trail running with.....

.....A fly rod.

It's not like a fly rod+reel is heavy. And if I'm going to be near clean water I can carry a Lifestraw or pump instead of a bunch of water. An 8'6" 4 piece rod in a sock tucked into a running vest barely reaches over my head. I don't care if other people are into tenkara, but it sure is limiting.
    I’ve been thinking of doing this lately. Lotta lakes and potential. Been meaning to put together a small, alpine lake box etc with bare essentials

I took both a tenkara and a full 4wt rod up with me to the Winds this past weekend, and I thought it was the perfect setup.

The beauty of the tenkara setup isn't in how light it is, it's in how quickly you can deploy it. it takes me ~15 seconds to go from fully stored to fishing-ready, which means that I could quickly stop for a 5 minute break at any number of small streams. When fishing small, pockety water, the tenkara was perfect, and a lot of fun.

Then, the full rod was perfect for when I was at camp and wanted to actually fish for a few hours. In those contexts I found the tenkara to be frustrating and limited in capacity, which is no surprise.

We managed to pull 2 or 3 brookies out of this hole on the way up Jackass pass. Really fun - and if all I had was a full rod, I never would have stopped.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk