Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    For years, I have been washing my cars with a power washer and dishwashing detergent. No brushes. Just water, soap, rags, towels and windex. Maybe 3x/year, I will have the car waxed at a local car wash and 1x/1.5 years I will have it detailed.
    I'm glad that I came across this thread, because I need to get my car detailed, before my 6000 mi. trip across the country and back.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    For years, I have been washing my cars with a power washer and dishwashing detergent. No brushes. Just water, soap, rags, towels and windex. Maybe 3x/year, I will have the car waxed at a local car wash and 1x/1.5 years I will have it detailed.
    I'm glad that I came across this thread, because I need to get my car detailed, before my 6000 mi. trip across the country and back.
    Dish soap is bad news for paint. Just saying.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

really? Thanks.
    Oh well. I have been using either Palmolive dish or miele twin dos liquid detergent for ever. I just squeeze some into the tank of my Honda power washer and the car gets clean. If it's good enough for my hair, my dishes and my clothes, then it's good enough for the car. At least it gets washed
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

You are getting your car detailed before a 6000 mile road trip? Wouldn't you want to do it after?

You was your hair, clothes, dishes, and car with dish soap?

I like to use a Brillo pad and really give it a good scrub.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I like to use a Brillo pad and really give it a good scrub.

Scotchbrite greenies work awesome too. I suggest a strong circular motion for optimum results.

For realz, a copper scour pad and generous application of WD40 does wonders on the cheap chrome when the rust starts to spot through.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    You are getting your car detailed before a 6000 mile road trip? Wouldn't you want to do it after?

You was your hair, clothes, dishes, and car with dish soap?
    to me, soap is soap. In a bind, if I am out of shampoo, sure, I'll wash my brillo with dishwashing liquid. No difference between that and Prell.
    C'mon, doesn't look that bad
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6848.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	487.7 KB 
ID:	333771
    You guys are funny. Me too

Upgraded gear shifter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

to me, soap is soap. In a bind, if I am out of shampoo, sure, I'll wash my brillo with dishwashing liquid. No difference between that and Prell.
    C'mon, doesn't look that bad

Name:	IMG_6848.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	487.7 KB 
ID:	333771
    You guys are funny. Me too
    Is that the new Santa Fe?

Looks sharp.

Thanks. Getting old, but still fun.

As long as you restore the wax proper a few times a year, as you said you do, then mild dish soap should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Dish soap is bad news for paint. Just saying.

Dish soap does nothing to paint.

But it will strip waxes more than car soap.

And why would you pressure wash a small car? A quick wipe with a soapy wash mitt or towel takes less time than setting up a pressure washer

Even a large truck or van is pretty quick with a boat brush.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Dish soap does nothing to paint.

But it will strip waxes more than car soap.

And why would you pressure wash a small car? A quick wipe with a soapy wash mitt or towel takes less time than setting up a pressure washer

Even a large truck or van is pretty quick with a boat brush.
    It strips wax, therefore leaving the paint susceptible to oxidization. In short, dish soap is bad for car paint.

What about paying $3 extra for wax at the local brushless car wash? Worth it or no? Substitute for Maguire's buff on or no?

The spray wax at the car wash is better than nothing, but no substitute for a proper buffed in wax.

My usual summer routine is this bucket and wash mitt with car soap at the ready. Anytime we are under t-storm or rain alert I check the radar and wash the car as the rain starts. Free rinse is free. Bucket under the eaves refills and add some more soap. Long dry spell means wash and hose rinse. Doubt I use more than 10-12 gallons spaying the rig off.

Name:	20200707_102458.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	333846
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

In 1966, the legendary Shecky Greene was making 150k a week as a pioneering lounge act in Vegas. After drinking heavily one night after a show, he drove his car into the fountain at Caesars Palace. When the cops came and were taking Shecky out of the car, he said, "No spray wax."

That's all I got about car washing.

its up narth, there arent any car washes just a couple of coin op spray wands which I will sometimes I pamper my trucks with, I like to buy silver cars & trucks cuz it shows the least dirt
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So true.
    I have a gray volvo and it hardly ever gets washed. Some vehicles (like Volvos) are meant not to be washed.

This is my attitude toward Volvos. It's one reason why I will always have one:

"THE VOLVO BASHERS

Nicholai Hel, the hero of Trevanian’s 1979 espionage thriller Shibumi, makes a point of kicking or slapping his Volvo whenever he parks it. In one scene, Hel walks several yards from the car, then pauses to pick up a stone and peg it at the vehicle. This behavior is explained through a brief diatribe against Volvos that ends with Trevanian crediting Hel with the introduction of “Volvo-bashing” to the citizens of Europe.

At the time, it was a little disconcerting to read — I’d grown up with the assumption that any foreign-made car was superior to an American one (a pretty safe assumption in the late 1970s) and Volvos were being touted far and wide as being as safe and reliable as a Swiss bank vault on wheels."

So, I worked at a detail shop part time for the past three years, mainly to satisfy my love for cars and to learn some things. Please don't use dish soap if you care about your paint, especially with Toyotas, Nissans, and Teslas (the weakest, thinnest paints and clear coats in the biz).

Use ONR (Opti No Rinse) for not only washing your car, but also for interior. It's gentle, highly dilutable , inexpensive, and works. 1oz is all that is needed for filling a 5 gal bucket half way for a good wash, 2oz for a really dirty car and a full bucket. No rinsing needed. 1oz in a spray bottle mixed with water for interior surfaces, leather, hard panels, vinyl, fake chrome trim, or 2 oz in bottle for providing a slick surface during clay bar treatment (if you plan on polishing after). The stuff is awesome, environmentally kosher, and I'll never use anything else now. Seriously, just toss the water on your lawn when you're done. It's also gentle enough to use on soft-touch buttons and panels in most german cars that are notorious for peeling. No chemical odors, I'm actually addicted to the smell. https://optimumcarcare.com/product/o...se-wash-shine1

I like to follow up with Hyper Seal (more expensive but will last for a long long time, you only use one to two sprays per panel as it goes FAR), then use a microfiber towel doused in ONR, squeezed, to spread the product around, windows and trim, too. Follow up with a dry microfiber. Viola, shiny as fuck. It's what I use in-between polishes. You can apply it to dry car, or use it as a wet wax right after ONR wash. It is really great stuff. https://optimumcarcare.com/product/o...se-wash-shine1

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    So, I worked at a detail shop part time for the past three years, mainly to satisfy my love for cars and to learn some things. Please don't use dish soap if you care about your paint, especially with Toyotas, Nissans, and Teslas (the weakest, thinnest paints and clear coats in the biz).

Use ONR (Opti No Rinse) for not only washing your car, but also for interior. It's gentle, highly dilutable , inexpensive, and works. 1oz is all that is needed for filling a 5 gal bucket half way for a good wash, 2oz for a really dirty car and a full bucket. No rinsing needed. 1oz in a spray bottle mixed with water for interior surfaces, leather, hard panels, vinyl, fake chrome trim, or 2 oz in bottle for providing a slick surface during clay bar treatment (if you plan on polishing after). The stuff is awesome, environmentally kosher, and I'll never use anything else now. Seriously, just toss the water on your lawn when you're done. It's also gentle enough to use on soft-touch buttons and panels in most german cars that are notorious for peeling. No chemical odors, I'm actually addicted to the smell. https://optimumcarcare.com/product/o...se-wash-shine1

I like to follow up with Hyper Seal (more expensive but will last for a long long time, you only use one to two sprays per panel as it goes FAR), then use a microfiber towel doused in ONR, squeezed, to spread the product around, windows and trim, too. Follow up with a dry microfiber. Viola, shiny as fuck. It's what I use in-between polishes. You can apply it to dry car, or use it as a wet wax right after ONR wash. It is really great stuff. https://optimumcarcare.com/product/o...se-wash-shine1
    PREACH

I've always bought silver cars, well except for those red ones a few times, for this very reason. One thing I will take to the grave with me that I learned, don't buy a black car if you don't have the time. It's truly a major commitment.

Also, A lot of the detail biz was correcting paint after they would run it through an automated car wash or went to a stall and used the brush provided. Guys with Porsches not understanding how their paint got so swirled. "Well I wash it once a week at the car wash down the street, how did it get so bad", or they would have the frequent car wash sticker in their windshield. Job security.

When it comes to cars there is clean, and then there is obsessive. I will follow the advice not to wash my car with Dawn, but I have always been a "who cares, so long as it does not stink" kind of guy. I don't care about swirls, minor road chips or the odd garment(s) occupying the back seat. However, I like my car generally clean to the extent that it doesn't have used Wendy's bags in the passenger foot well.
    I know a couple of guys who obsess, some more than others. I wash my car when I feel like it, and will very occasionally patronize a car wash. I hate the lines.

I wonder how Jay Leno treats his stable?

I wonder how Jay Leno treats his stable?
    He's got a pro detailer maintaining his fleet. It's a thing with the really rich people, and a sweet gig if you can find it.