Fly Fishing Bora Bora/Grand Rapids, MI

Yep, you read it right. Bora Bora and Grand Rapids, MI. Long story short, getting hitched->honeymoon->work conference in Grand Rapids immediately after.

I couldn't find much on Bora Bora, anyone have experience out there? I'm hoping to sneak out for a day.

Can anyone recommend any shops out in Grand Rapids? I hoping to be able to do a guided day. What are you fishing for out there? I've pretty much only fished in CO for the past 2-3 years, so I'm still pretty new to it all.

What time of year in the GR? Great Lakes Spey is located a little ways north up in Rockford....I would definitely give them a call for more beta. Most guys are chasing lake run rainbows up through mid-April or so then switching over to resident browns and rainbows. If you're looking for a more scenic float I would look a little north towards the Pere Marquette River....but that's just personal preference.

The PM can be pretty good fishing... Check out the Au Sable for browns.

Hugh Conway Guest
    you could cast from the deck of your over water bungalow and catch a bikini on the honeymooner at the over water bungalow at the next resort over.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
    What time of year in the GR? Great Lakes Spey is located a little ways north up in Rockford....I would definitely give them a call for more beta. Most guys are chasing lake run rainbows up through mid-April or so then switching over to resident browns and rainbows. If you're looking for a more scenic float I would look a little north towards the Pere Marquette River....but that's just personal preference.
    Awesome, thanks. I arrive back from Bora Bora on June 6th, GR from the ~7th-14th before I drive back west. I'll be working a good chunk of that week, but hoping to get a line wet before or after.

You'll be a little early for the Hexx hatch on the PM or AuSable, but still have a plenty of opportunities for some nice fish. Usually steady hatches of Gray Drakes, BWOs, Cahill's, etc...going on around then. I personally don't know any guides on the AuSable, but I could certainly talk to a few friends in the know and get back on that river. As far as the Pere Marquette I've personally fished with the guys at Baldwin Bait and Tackle numerous times and they're legit. Walk-in access to the PM is pretty limited due to private property. I would suggest getting a guide for at least one day just to have access to a lot more water. Baldwin Bait and Tackle has a forum that's worth checking out from time to time if you get a chance. http://www.fishbaldwin.com/Forum/index.php

A little Au Sable stoke.

A little Au Sable stoke.

Seems like you've been gone a while, HFB! Thx for the link!

Awesome river! Cool looking film too.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Seems like you've been gone a while, HFB! Thx for the link!

Awesome river! Cool looking film too.
    Good to be back! Had a little internet blockage that we had to contend with that seems to be worked out now. Now if the effects of the Polar Vortex would subside (55" of ice on Superior shorelines where I fish) I'd be able to start adding a little more stoke of my own.

You'll be a little early for the Hexx hatch on the PM or AuSable, but still have a plenty of opportunities for some nice fish. Usually steady hatches of Gray Drakes, BWOs, Cahill's, etc...going on around then. I personally don't know any guides on the AuSable, but I could certainly talk to a few friends in the know and get back on that river. As far as the Pere Marquette I've personally fished with the guys at Baldwin Bait and Tackle numerous times and they're legit. Walk-in access to the PM is pretty limited due to private property. I would suggest getting a guide for at least one day just to have access to a lot more water. Baldwin Bait and Tackle has a forum that's worth checking out from time to time if you get a chance. http://www.fishbaldwin.com/Forum/index.php
    Thanks, HFB. I think I'll go guided to make the most of my time, but certainly want to make sure I'm going with going with a good shop/crew since funds will be tight after the wedding. I appreciate you guys pointing me in the right direction.

If you are going to Bora Bora ,French Polynesia, I've spent some time there wading around with a fly rod. It's not a "christmas island" but its pretty spectacular in its
    own way, I stayed with some friends who owned the Bora dive center, so I spent
    most of my recreation under water.

Another vote for the Pere Marquette and BB&T. There are a shit-ton of small streams on Forest Service land just north of Baldwin that have fast fishing for small fish. The whole Au Sable drainage is sweet too if you want to drive a little further. South Branch would be the closest to you (as far as the Au Sable is concerned), check out the Mason Tract. You could tack on another 45 minutes or so of driving and hit the North Branch, too. Fuller's North Branch Outing club has some decent guides, and there is a lot of great water on the North Branch. I live in UT now, but I probably think about the Au Sable every day.

Closer options are the White, Rockford, or Muskegon Rivers.

You could go after smallies on the Grand as well, that can be pretty fun.

IMO, June is the best time to fish in Michigan, at least in the lower Peninsula. There's a lot going on that time of year.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by tgray View Post
    If you are going to Bora Bora ,French Polynesia, I've spent some time there wading around with a fly rod. It's not a "christmas island" but its pretty spectacular in its
    own way, I stayed with some friends who owned the Bora dive center, so I spent
    most of my recreation under water.
    Nice, I'll be spending some time under the water as well. Sounds like I need my own gear if I want to fish there thou and a salt rig isn't in the budget for me...especially since I live in a land locked state.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsugar View Post
    Another vote for the Pere Marquette and BB&T. There are a shit-ton of small streams on Forest Service land just north of Baldwin that have fast fishing for small fish. The whole Au Sable drainage is sweet too if you want to drive a little further. South Branch would be the closest to you (as far as the Au Sable is concerned), check out the Mason Tract. You could tack on another 45 minutes or so of driving and hit the North Branch, too. Fuller's North Branch Outing club has some decent guides, and there is a lot of great water on the North Branch. I live in UT now, but I probably think about the Au Sable every day.

Closer options are the White, Rockford, or Muskegon Rivers.

You could go after smallies on the Grand as well, that can be pretty fun.

IMO, June is the best time to fish in Michigan, at least in the lower Peninsula. There's a lot going on that time of year.
    Thanks for the advice. This ^^^^ and the video HFB posted is getting me all sorts of stoked for hitting MI waters. I just have to make sure I'm not too hungover from all the home brew that week.

+1 for the Muskegon... And why no love for the Big Manistee?

Early June should be right in the money for browns... nothing better than cooling your heals on a river sled waiting for the hatch with a child one in your hand.

PMed you regarding some local options.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Yeah, Big Man is good too. Or the Little Manistee. Or the Pine. Or the Boardman. Or the Baldwin. It's choose your own adventure up there. Shit, I miss that area. So amazing in the summer.

Edit: I just watched that video HFB posted myself. Good stuff. In a few months the wife and I will need to make a decision as to whether we stay here or go back to MI. Not an easy decision.
    Last edited by bigsugar; 04-08-2014 at 08:32 PM.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

Not sure what your plan/time in bora allows, but these are some pretty cool things from my time there,

I hitched a ride to Matira point, and hiked out to the edge of the reef, its a distance of about a mile probably more, and the water varies between chest to knee deep,with the deepest channel where
    you leave the beach,blinding white sand bottom so have the best sunglasses you can afford, tevas and neoprene booties are what you want for wading around, mask too.

another exceptionally cool side trip was to take the ferry over to Maupiti, the turn around
    allows enough time to hike the trail around the island , with time to swim, stop in at the local tavern and sit under palms sharing cold Hinano's with the locals and talking story.

if the local folks are getting ready for Heiva, don't miss it, Heiva is the polynesian celebration of their migration, Dance is taken serious and each Island practices for months, bora usually wins the competition, tahitian women can do things with their hips that will make a midwestern boy's head spin.
    leading up to the celebration in Papiete, usually around 7 pm the people gather at the soccer field and start the dance practice, a couple hundred dancing in unison, tahitian drums , local families bring coolers and lawn chairs ,

when I came to bora, I didn't invest a bunch of money in a flyrod, I got a cheapo graphite
    8wt, with a reel. didn't use it alot but it was fun when I did, gave it to a local when I left
    since it was a pain to carry the rod tube during transit.

if you are a diver, there is a location that is frequented by manta rays, don't miss that, if you are really still in the water , they come to you.
    the shark dive on the outside of the reef is pretty cool too, it's more of an adrenalin thing, the dive guide swims to the bottom and buries a frozen fish head in the coral rubble, positions the dive group in a circle around the dinner, within a couple of minutes the smaller sharks
    move in with the bigger ones following,

there are some really cool experiences to be had here and you won't find them at the resort.
    Last edited by tgray; 04-20-2014 at 01:46 PM.

thanks for the info, Tgray. Some good stuff right there. How long was the ferry to Maupiti?

Thinking about leaving the rod at home considering I have no salt experience or gear. But for sure I'll be bringing my stuff to Michigan.

It's a short ferry ride to Maupiti, I remember it to be about 1 to 1 1/2 hour trip each way, every thing in French Polynesia seemed expensive. except the ferry transport and fresh Bagettes, I hope you have a great trip, by the way if you are flying into bora make sure you get a window on the left side of the plane, its cool to see the approach to the island from the air!